Curious about stereos

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
Hi gang,

I bought a Pioneer double din. Not sure of the model number off hand, but I installed it, I installed the fake brake switch and another switch for the backup camera that works flawlessly. The thing that I absolutely hate about it is every time it boots up, it gives me a warning that says it is dangerous to look at the screen and I have to hit OK. I can wait it out, but the radio is rendered useless till I hit OK or wait it out. I get it is dangerous to be distracted by my radio, but really every time I get in I need a reminder. I mean I get reminded if I go to the post office then run to Hungry Monks for a pitcher or 3. I mean why is it not reminding me to not drive drunk, I forget that all of the time, or why doesn't it remind me not to watch plex on my phone while driving home from work?

If I play a USB, it warns me every time that my songs are not in a database. Stop warning me things. Just shut up and play my music. You are a radio.

That grinds my gears.

So my question is Do all stereos do that? or just Pioneer? Why does Pioneer think they have to police me? I pay taxes for a whole team of people to make sure I am inline.

in fact I was looking for some cool installation gear because I am selling my 1/2 Ram, and I purchased a 3/4 GMC, and moving the stereo over. so I was reading that Pioneer has figured out that we figured out how to make a fake brake switch, so now they are looking for a pulse so the fake brake switch wont work anymore. WTF seriously? Just make good radios, and let the police do their job. BTW it costs 10 bucks to get around the pulse. Here is my problem with it. Your car has to be running or in park with your foot on the brake and the key on if you want to watch a movie legally.

Trust me I don't drink and drive, nor watch movies and drive, but one time we were out scouting camping spots, and we got stuck on the freeway because of a car fire. So we shut the truck off and watched Fletch. I would have had to have my key on, or the the truck running and my foot on the brake to watch the movie for two hours. Also I know some of you are going to say I can put it in accessory mode, but I cannot because the key alarm chimes the whole time. It is pretty worthless. The GMC is cool because all of that goes through the factory stereo, and I can eliminate that by not adding the aftermarket chime box. So that is good at least.

Anyway back on track, are the Pioneers the only stereos that make me click "OK" every time I start my truck? Are there any other brands that leave me alone, and let me do what I want?
I really hate pop-up prompts. Especially useless ones.

Sorry for the rant
On a lighter note, after I hit the OK button every time, it really does a great job playing my music!

Well after some research i have found it is "possible" however, unless you have a degree in computer engineering and programming you are hosed.

It appears that the warning is built into the firmware. IE hard wired. Some very smart people have done it. Some other smart people broke it.

As much as i hate that stuff. In today's world of sue everyone it has become necessary.

Reactions: Chris and ac_
Well after some research i have found it is "possible" however, unless you have a degree in computer engineering and programming you are hosed.

It appears that the warning is built into the firmware. IE hard wired. Some very smart people have done it. Some other smart people broke it.

As much as i hate that stuff. In today's world of sue everyone it has become necessary.

I am not sure how a push button alert that on the screen that tells you not to look at the screen will save a lawsuit. It seems really counter intuitive to me. Thanks for the research. I actually do have a degree computer engineering, (well technically I don't, but I am a server engineer for a living), but I don't have time to deal with this crap. So I am assuming all stereos do this? That sucks. I am shocked there isn't a fix yet. I will look probably into it someday most likely. Or switch to an old stereo if it keeps grinding my gears.

This is the exact reason I left android in favor of an iphone. Way less pop-up alerts! Especially the ones you actually have to touch to make them go away. Super annoying to me.

Maybe if I had one less project I could tackle fixing the crappy firmware of my stupid stereo, but for now I guess I will live with it, but I was hoping someone would say "Kenwoods don't do it" Or "Alpines only do it once!"

It is so bad that if I hit my backup camera during the warning prompt when the alert is there, it will still be there after I turn my camera off. Sure is annoying.

I think I like @Erik V's idea of getting an old stereo, but I already have a 2 din hole in my dash.

I bought a pioneer double din for my Silverado, it didn’t have all that warning stuff,
I bought the mvh-x690BS.
Not bad for $80 bucks

Reactions: ac_
3E49F210-DB47-4EEC-8CD4-9FCB1B2C8F7D.jpeg

Last edited:
I feel your pain. My new fancy radio tells me the"cancel the demo" about once a week. The other issue is that the power wire shakes loose every couple of months. I have tried the connectors that i got with from crutchfield and they were not up to the task. Finally i just taped them together.
This last time it shorted i found the male and female connector had worked loose. Short wheel base and mountain roads.

When i was a young guy i wanted to be on the radio. Now I am happy just to yell at it.

I feel your pain. My new fancy radio tells me the"cancel the demo" about once a week. The other issue is that the power wire shakes loose every couple of months. I have tried the connectors that i got with from crutchfield and they were not up to the task. Finally i just taped them together.
This last time it shorted i found the male and female connector had worked loose. Short wheel base and mountain roads.

When i was a young guy i wanted to be on the radio. Now I am happy just to yell at it.
Yeah the one in my Jeep is that way. I am constantly taking it out of demo. I am probably going to replace it, but I think my next stereo will be from a stereo shop where I can turn it on and off and test it a little more so I don't feel like I am stuck with it.

Reactions: johnny deeker
Because of stuff like this, I'll either be going for a straight-forward single DIN stereo or will just try to find a way to mod my stock stereo to play from AUX/Bluetooth. I mean, as it is, I really like the stock stereo as the buttons all feel good and are in good spots. I just wish I could play music off my phone instead of having to burn stuff to a CD.

But honestly, my ideal stereo would be a stock stereo with cassette player and an AUX jack (I still have a nostalgia itch for cassettes). I actually found a place that sells these, but alas, it doesn't actually work in my '06 (I tried). I could get a version of my stock CD player with an AUX jack at the same place, but I just haven't decided if I think it's worth the price they charge.

chryslerdodgejeepr_92556_p56038588aj_front_blac__1__81611.1418160215.1280.1280.jpg

https://www.1factoryradio.com/chrys...3-2007-am-fm-cassette-cd-ctrl-ipod-aux-input/

Reactions: JMT and ac_
Because of stuff like this, I'll either be going for a straight-forward single DIN stereo or will just try to find a way to mod my stock stereo to play from AUX/Bluetooth. I mean, as it is, I really like the stock stereo as the buttons all feel good and are in good spots. I just wish I could play music off my phone instead of having to burn stuff to a CD.

But honestly, my ideal stereo would be a stock stereo with cassette player and an AUX jack (I still have a nostalgia itch for cassettes). I actually found a place that sells these, but alas, it doesn't actually work in my '06 (I tried). I could get a version of my stock CD player with an AUX jack at the same place, but I just haven't decided if I think it's worth the price they charge.

View attachment 54136
https://www.1factoryradio.com/chrys...3-2007-am-fm-cassette-cd-ctrl-ipod-aux-input/
Does your stock radio have the 6 disk changer setup. (Not the unit) but the buttons for it.

Does your stock radio have the 6 disk changer setup. (Not the unit) but the buttons for it.
It doesn't handle 6 disks, but it does have the buttons for it. The unit itself looks like this one below and there is a Disc up/down above some of the radio preset buttons.
upload_2018-9-4_10-40-54.png

upload_2018-9-4_10-41-20.png

It doesn't handle 6 disks, but it does have the buttons for it. The unit itself looks like this one below and there is a Disc up/down above some of the radio preset buttons.
View attachment 54140
View attachment 54141
without knowing what the back side adapter looks like. i can not tell you exactly what would work, but here are some options. maybe you can find one that will plug into the a port in the back and add on to it.

http://oemautosound.com/c-26-jeep-auxiliary-adapter.aspx

View attachment 54136

I thought I was just being overly sensitive to the new crap they throw at us now without an opt-out button. But it is kind of refreshing, I am not the only one that hates all of this too.

Honestly this is one of the reasons why I like old trucks. I hate that seat belt reminders go through the stereo now and you cannot shut them off. If I am trying to hitch up my trailer, then my seat belt chime goes off as soon as I put it in gear and I have to put my seat belt on every time I get in the truck trying to line up the hitch. I like the old vehicles where I can still disable that crap. I don't need bells to tell me my key is in the ignition or my lights are on. The only thing I miss about the new cars is the big motors. They are fierce and powerful now even more so than 10 years ago. I just want to put one of the new motors in my old truck, and I would be happy. I digress.

That goes the same with the stereo. I want an opt out for all of the pop ups. Especially the same ones that happen every time I get in the truck. I think I may be looking for a solution like you showed. The upside to that too, is it is probably less likely to get stolen also.

Reactions: johnny deeker
I thought I was just being overly sensitive to the new crap they throw at us now without an opt-out button. But it is kind of refreshing, I am not the only one that hates all of this too.

Honestly this is one of the reasons why I like old trucks. I hate that seat belt reminders go through the stereo now and you cannot shut them off. If I am trying to hitch up my trailer, then my seat belt chime goes off as soon as I put it in gear and I have to put my seat belt on every time I get in the truck trying to line up the hitch. I like the old vehicles where I can still disable that crap. I don't need bells to tell me my key is in the ignition or my lights are on. The only thing I miss about the new cars is the big motors. They are fierce and powerful now even more so than 10 years ago. I just want to put one of the new motors in my old truck, and I would be happy. I digress.

That goes the same with the stereo. I want an opt out for all of the pop ups. Especially the same ones that happen every time I get in the truck. I think I may be looking for a solution like you showed. The upside to that too, is it is probably less likely to get stolen also.
Agreed. Another one of these things I've always hated is those bright yellow stickers about air bags that they put on sun visors.

And the theft prevention is another reason I've decided to go this route. I've had my car stereo stolen several times in past cars and I always found it annoying as hell to have to take off and stow face plates.

My S160 doesn’t warn me about anything. It just plays movies and music and google maps like its supposed to.
If I remember right, yours is a Chinese radio that is not available anymore? I remember being jealous when you bought it, and when I went to buy it, it was not available anymore.

That is encouraging though