Curious about this noise that goes away when pressing clutch

Ken1120

Hey everyone, for the past 4ish years I've owned my TJ i thought this fast sorta clunkclunkclunkclunck sound was normal, I thought I remembered watching a video that it was the abs system or command trac, but now all these years later I'm not so sure. This video was taken while parked right after turning on the jeep, it goes away when I press the clutch then comes back and comes back at almost all stops without the clutch pressed in. Please tell me I am not crazy and this is a normal sound.

Attachments

• 20201018_222257.mp4
    25 MB
"Fast sorta clunkclunkclunkcluncksound" was a pretty good description of what you recorded. Whatever it is, it's not normal as if all, or even some, Jeeps make that sound.

I also wonder how this has been going on for 4 years and whatever it is hasn't broken.

Since it's been happening so long with no further problems maybe you aren't crazy and it is normal (for your Jeep).

"Fast sorta clunkclunkclunkcluncksound" was a pretty good description of what you recorded. Whatever it is, it's not normal as if all, or even some, Jeeps make that sound.

I also wonder how this has been going on for 4 years and whatever it is hasn't broken.

Since it's been happening so long with no further problems maybe you aren't crazy and it is normal (for your Jeep).
Lol yeah I can't believe no mechanic has ever brought it up and I thought it was completely normal. I'm getting the Luk clutch kit installed later this week so hopefully that fixes it or maybe we'll find what's making it. To me it just sounded like a purposeful sound that engaged shortly after turning on the jeep, but I never had any tj friends to compare to:(. Thanks for the response now I know to be on the hunt for it.

Sounds like a bad transmission input shaft bearing.
Could that also make a whirling noise? When I replaced the master and slave cylinder it made a very loud whirling metal noise in the transmission, but now after about a month it completely stopped for some reason. Thought it was the throwout bearing but I don't know now now that it stopped.

Could that also make a whirling noise? When I replaced the master and slave cylinder it made a very loud whirling metal noise in the transmission, but now after about a month it completely stopped for some reason. Thought it was the throwout bearing but I don't know now now that it stopped.

Yes, it could indeed. The fact that the noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal is very telling.

Oh the loud whirling noise only came when I pressed the clutch in, and the sound in the video obviously goes away when I press the clutch in. That's why I thought it was the TOB
Yes, it could indeed. The fact that the noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal is very telling.

Oh the loud whirling noise only came when I pressed the clutch in, and the sound in the video obviously goes away when I press the clutch in. That's why I thought it was the TOB

Here’s a good description of the different clutch noises and what they mean:

• Worn Throw Out Bearing: If you notice the noise from your clutch when you release the pedal, chances are good that the throw out bearing is failing and will need to be replaced.
  • Worn Pilot Bearing: If you notice noise when you press the clutch pedal in, the most likely culprit is the pilot bearing, which will need to be replaced.
  • Worn Release Bearing: Another possible cause of noise when pressing the clutch pedal in is the release bearing. If it’s making noise, then the bearing is failing and will need to be replaced.
  • Worn Clutch: It’s also possible that the clutch itself is worn and will need to be replaced. These are high wear components and need to be replaced on a regular basis. However, the frequency of replacement will depend on your driving style and habits. When replacing the clutch, it may also be necessary to have the flywheel resurfaced.
  • Worn Input Bearing: If the noise happens when the car is in neutral and you are not using the clutch at all, the most likely cause is the input bearing, which is located inside the transmission.

Reactions: Blondie70

• Worn Throw Out Bearing: If you notice the noise from your clutch when you release the pedal, chances are good that the throw out bearing is failing and will need to be replaced.
  • Worn Pilot Bearing: If you notice noise when you press the clutch pedal in, the most likely culprit is the pilot bearing, which will need to be replaced.
  • Worn Release Bearing: Another possible cause of noise when pressing the clutch pedal in is the release bearing. If it’s making noise, then the bearing is failing and will need to be replaced.
  • Worn Clutch: It’s also possible that the clutch itself is worn and will need to be replaced. These are high wear components and need to be replaced on a regular basis. However, the frequency of replacement will depend on your driving style and habits. When replacing the clutch, it may also be necessary to have the flywheel resurfaced.
  • Worn Input Bearing: If the noise happens when the car is in neutral and you are not using the clutch at all, the most likely cause is the input bearing, which is located inside the transmission.

This forum just gets better Everytime I'm on, so much knowledge, thank you Chris and forum people!

Reactions: Blondie70
✋Oh..Oh... I have a question LOL. I know this thread is 2.5 years old but the info posted by Chris back in 2020 does not seem right, and I don't think we even had Chatbot back then? First it says if you hear noise when releasing the clutch pedal it could be the throwout bearing. The throwout bearing only turns when the clutch is dis-engaged, with the pedal depressed, and that's when it will make noise. Then it goes on to say if you hear noise when pushing the clutch pedal in in could be the release bearing. Hello, is the release bearing not the same as the throwout bearing?:unsure: So the third point contradicts the first point. Just sayin..

Last edited: