Curious: Are there any "mandatory" or "no-brainer" mods for the TJ?

Haven't had time to do much modding yet but so far;
Installed four 10,000 lb. (or greater) frame mounted tow points; 2 front and 2 rear.
Disconnect the Sirius radio (these obnoxious folks will bill you even if you neither use it nor sign up for it).
Remove rear trailer hitch (a 1000 pound tow rated vehicle does NOT need a 3,000 pound rated receiver hitch, IMO).. .improved the departure angle & got rid of 50lbs of dead weight.
Removed the OEM tubular nerf bars.
Change out all fluids and filters.
Change out the OPD on '05 and '06 4.0 engines.
...For campers... remove rear seats and belts; for packing camping gear.
Added an accurate oil pressure gauge... the OEM gauge, on my '06; lies by design.
If it has a 42rle automatic add a transmission fluid temperature gauge...after the gauge confirms that the automatic transmission is running hot add a transmission cooler.
Packed the mini pioneer rack tools; Svensaw large, USGI trifold e-tool, Matt-ax for continuous carry.
Installed front seat lift.
Found a place for the snatch strap, shackles/clevis' and jumper cables.
attached the first aid kit under the driver's seat.
Installed the fire extinguisher.
Attached the long runtime, water resistant , LED flashlight.
Packaged a 12 volt compressor in a .30 cal ammo can (for airing the tires back up).

The OEM lights are adequate, IMO.
The OEM stereo and speakers are adequate, IMO... would rather listen to the sound of tires on slickrock anyhow...
...so far no issues with milk jugs...
Mine has OEM lockers so for moderate trails no antisway bar disconnect is necessary... usually,

Once I get some better mud tires and pack a tool box (.30 cal ammo can) it will be near ready for, regular, moderate wheeling...

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: CybrSlydr and Chris
With a name like Sancho and growing up in NM, I have to ask if you picked it for it's normal definition or is that your real name?

Long story short... I think its a hilarious name. I use the name for online uses.. such as as computer gamesand forums.

In fact, I got the name from a classic game.. Age of Empires.

And yes, my wife hates the name.

Reactions: Chris
What is the sway bar disconnect?
Directly in front of your front springs is a bar descending from the sway bar. The sway Bar wraps around the front of the jeep just in front of your grill. It aids in stabilizing the jeep while driving down the road from swaying left right. If you buy some aftermarket quick disconnects you can disconnect them to get more articulation when off-road. Here’s a pic of the stock with my homemade quick disconnect.
8BE1007A-0CC7-4D66-80D8-9691C241A4D6.jpeg

My aftermarket
43662316-25CF-4973-8D8B-9F8F9A875D43.jpeg

Directly in front of your front springs is a bar descending from the sway bar. The sway Bar wraps around the front of the jeep just in front of your grill. It aids in stabilizing the jeep while driving down the road from swaying left right. If you buy some aftermarket quick disconnects you can disconnect them to get more articulation when off-road. Here’s a pic of the stock with my homemade quick disconnect.
View attachment 29455
My aftermarket
View attachment 29454
Ok, so I'm a greenhorn and I have zero experience at 4w and will make my first trip to Moab next month before the "pros" show up so I can get a little taste of what the rave is all about, do you advise that I get this mod done before I go?
Thanks for your reply and feel free to all to chime in!

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Ok, so I'm a greenhorn and I have zero experience at 4w and will make my first trip to Moab next month before the "pros" show up so I can get a little taste of what the rave is all about, do you advise that I get this mod done before I go?

I really hope you are not going at it alone?

I would. For the homemade disconnects it cost about six dollars at Ace Hardware. Here’s a link to a how-to on this forum.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-make-your-own-sway-bar-disconnects.5321/

I’d also air down to about 12 psi when off-road at Moab. This will give you a larger footprint and make your ride smoother. Make sure and air back up before you get back on the road. That means having some kind of air compressor on board or a portable Viair 88P like I have or someone who does.

Focus on learning to drive and following someone who knows what they’re doing. Putting your tires on the rocks, learning when to use momentum, etc.
29E9E946-8AAE-4B0A-BD0B-F13685F8FF66.jpeg

My no brainer mod is like most of the other things I recommend, most won't see the value immediately and sometimes never, but the value is there. My mod is you. Go drive it, go learn how to drive it, go learn how to make it get you where you want to go before you start building it. Start on the easy stuff, learn tire placement, learn momentum and how to use it correctly. When that no longer gets you where you want to go, then start building the rig and the build plan at that point will be very easy because you will know what you need and won't have to ask anyone. Don't fall prey to the concept of building the rig instead of building your skills. That is pretty much doing it backwards and I've wheeled with a bunch of that type and they are no better today at navigating the trails than they were the first time they got behind the wheel.

They are easy to spot, they have the biggest rig in the group and struggle the most.
That, right there, is a nugget of gold. Print it out and wrap it around your Visa card. When you go to order a cool new part for your TJ, read it. Twice. Ask yourself "Is it me, or is it my TJ?".

Yes, get rid of the milk jugs off the front bumper.

IMO. Front bumper and rear bumper compliments each other and the plastic fender flares really compliments the milk jugs and the rear bumper end caps.
If you remove the milk jugs, you better remove and upgrade the fender flares, front and back also.

Therefore replace them both or keep them both, front and rear!

If you do just the front (milk jugs), it is a half ass job!

Last edited:
Long story short... I think its a hilarious name. I use the name for online uses.. such as as computer gamesand forums.

In fact, I got the name from a classic game.. Age of Empires.

And yes, my wife hates the name.
In NM and I'm sure in other parts where Latino populations exist, Sancho is the guy who sneaks in the house to visit your wife while you are at work.

Reactions: Blank and Daz7
IMO. Front bumper and rear bumper compliments each other and the plastic fender flares really compliments the milk jugs and the rear bumper end caps.
If you remove the milk jugs, you better remove and upgrade the fender flares, front and back also.

Therefore replace them both or keep them both, front and rear!

If you do just the front (milk jugs), it is a half ass job!
Never thought fenders flares compliment milk jugs nor just removing the front jugs is half ass.

Never thought fenders flares compliment milk jugs nor just removing the front jugs is half ass.

It is my friend. Look at the shape, form, fit and function. It compliment each other. If you have the end plastic in the back and no end cap (milk jug) in the front, how does it look?

I am an engineer and when we design stuff we think it through and sometimes complicates it further.
It does not always compliment some people, but its is an art of compassion.

Last edited:
It is my friend.
I am an engineer and when we design stuff we think it through.
I'm also an engineer, but being an engineer is not the topic. As a no brainer mod, milk jugs suck. If you have hundreds to throw around for new bumpers because you don't like the jugs then more power too you.

It is my friend. Look at the shape, form, fit and function. It compliment each other. If you have the end plastic in the back and no end cap (milk jug) in the front, how does it look?

I am an engineer and when we design stuff we think it through and sometimes complicates it further.
Nevermind, not arguing about milk jugs and how they look, fit, yada yada.

Reactions: JMT
My mod is you. Go drive it, go learn how to drive it, go learn how to make it get you where you want to go before you start building it. Start on the easy stuff, learn tire placement, learn momentum and how to use it correctly. When that no longer gets you where you want to go, then start building the rig and the build plan at that point will be very easy because you will know what you need and won't have to ask anyone. Don't fall prey to the concept of building the rig instead of building your skills..

Just to add to this. I used to tell the guys who were new, to practice vehicle placement when they go to the local mall. Stuff like, I'd like to get my front right tire 6" away from the car park line when parking or conversely I'll line up my rear diff pumpkin directly over the parking line. Or walk away from the vehicle and place an empty crushable cup about the width of your wheel track from a parking line. Then drive over and see how well you guessed it.

That way when you're next on a track you can walk a hard section and plan exactly where you know your wheels will be. And when you're driving it, you'll not have to rely on the spotter telling you where your wheels should be or to warn you of a rock about to eat your diff centre. This stuff costs nothing, give back in spades.

I'm also an engineer, but being an engineer is not the topic. As a no brainer mod, milk jugs suck. If you have hundreds to throw around for new bumpers because you don't like the jugs then more power too you.
I like everything OEM, including the milk jug.
It's designed there for a reason.