Curious: Are there any "mandatory" or "no-brainer" mods for the TJ?

The biggest no brainer mods for TJs in my opinion are a nice sunshade such as the Alien Sunshade and LED headlights (more about those here): Jeep Wrangler TJ LED Headlight Upgrade Options
Chris, didn't you mention the WHDZ 7" headlights from Amazon in another thread as being a pretty good deal for the money? They're not referenced in the LED Headlight Options and I wanted to verify that I read the other thread correctly. Thanks.

Reactions: Stockli
Chris, didn't you mention the WHDZ 7" headlights from Amazon in another thread as being a pretty good deal for the money? They're not referenced in the LED Headlight Options and I wanted to verify that I read the other thread correctly. Thanks.

Yep drove my 03 last night for the first time with them, I need to aim them for sure but they are so much better than stock as good or better then our 14 explorer xlt.

Really for $100 the best thing I have done on any Jeep for the money.

Only thing you may have to be patient with fitting them, the coating on the metal is not consistent.

I like everything OEM, including the milk jug.
It's designed there for a reason.
I have to agree with @lxxtsy on this one. These are always the first thing to go on a TJ purchase. The only thing these were designed for is to look goofy. They don't serve any other purpose. Removing the front and not the rear is inconsequential. The rear ones cover up the ends of the rear cross member, so there is some purpose to those. If you really insist on having an oem part stuck on the ends of the stock front bumper, use the flat ones they put on TJ Xs in the later years. Those look fine.
9b295be0-71f1-42bb-940d-bf1832e8f65d_1.5620ac2c1c74af03c4572beeaa29b888.jpg

96488.jpg

I have to agree with @lxxtsy on this one. These are always the first thing to go on a TJ purchase. The only thing these were designed for is to look goofy. They don't serve any other purpose. Removing the front and not the rear is inconsequential. The rear ones cover up the ends of the rear cross member, so there is some purpose to those. If you really insist on having an oem part stuck on the ends of the stock front bumper, use the flat ones they put on TJ Xs in the later years. Those look fine.
View attachment 29493
View attachment 29494
I still have my rears on for that reason.

I have to agree with @lxxtsy on this one. ]

No ill intentions my fellow TJ enthusiasts. It is just my personal opinion.

Here is what I originally wrote:

IMO. Front bumper and rear bumper compliments each other and the plastic fender flares really compliments the milk jugs and the rear bumper end caps.
If you remove the milk jugs, you better remove and upgrade the fender flares, front and back also.

Therefore replace them both or keep them both, front and rear!

If you do just the front (milk jugs), it is a half ass job!

Mandatory: Makes sure your TJ is operating at 100%; safe tires with off road worthy tread pattern; good battery that won't puke fluid on inclines/declines; pulling points front and rear; couple of tow straps; some D ring style shackles; friends to wheel with.
Do all that then get out and find some mild trails and see how your Jeep operates off road. Like Blaine stated, a skilled driver can do a lot with a little. Oh yea, and have fun!

Mandatory: Makes sure your TJ is operating at 100%; safe tires with off road worthy tread pattern; good battery that won't puke fluid on inclines/declines; pulling points front and rear; couple of tow straps; some D ring style shackles; friends to wheel with.
Do all that then get out and find some mild trails and see how your Jeep operates off road. Like Blaine stated, a skilled driver can do a lot with a little. Oh yea, and have fun!
X2 to this.

Yup and there are lots of trails that a STOCK tj can take that will get you out and into the woods. They are pretty capable off road stock. Put nice tires for your conditions and bring some straps and hit the easy trails and build off that. It’s crazy how wild things can get on even moderate rate trails and with driving experience you will get into trouble really fast.

Lockers, Winch, Tires.... not the order I did it. But in hindsight. Maybe gearing too.

BUT first you need to decide what you want yer TJ to do.... so planning out function is first.
Big difference from DD, Beach Cruiser, Mud Bogger, Forestry Road Runner, Rock Crawler, Power Line Climber.
Until you identify that end use you cannot even pick a tread pattern.

TJs offer lots box stock. Good roll cage. Good approach, break over, departure angles. FABULOUS 4.0L ENGINE. Lift off doors and roof. And it is BUILT JEEP TOUGH.

Maybe the first thing, join a local 4x4 club. Buy everyone a beer.

Last edited:
Reactions: CybrSlydr
Just to add to this. I used to tell the guys who were new, to practice vehicle placement when they go to the local mall. Stuff like, I'd like to get my front right tire 6" away from the car park line when parking or conversely I'll line up my rear diff pumpkin directly over the parking line. Or walk away from the vehicle and place an empty crushable cup about the width of your wheel track from a parking line. Then drive over and see how well you guessed it.

That way when you're next on a track you can walk a hard section and plan exactly where you know your wheels will be. And when you're driving it, you'll not have to rely on the spotter telling you where your wheels should be or to warn you of a rock about to eat your diff centre. This stuff costs nothing, give back in spades.
Thanks for that and the reminder it triggered. Hey You, yes you, that guy behind the wheel in the Jeep. STOP looking out the driver's door/Window at your stupid god damn tires. Learn to drive out the windshield. Look down the trail, line up on your marker which means if you need to put your passenger front on a rock, pick your mark that you need to hit with the driver's tire, when you get close, pop your head out for 5 seconds to check and then get it back in the rig.

There is nothing more annoying to me as a spotter when I'm trying to thread you through a line that is less than an inch wide and requires several direction changes than to point where I need you to go and then have you take your eyes off of me and start watching your damn tires, first the front, then the head swivels and watches the back one. I get it, you like to watch your rig work but you can only see one tire at a time and I can generally see all four so you tell me, who has the best vantage point. And if you don't think you do this, keep track the next time you're on the trail. I promise that if you don't, you are the miracle 1 in 500 that doesn't. Besides, no good driver drives with their head stuck out the driver's door/window.

Reactions: Rob5589
Lockers, Winch, Tires.... in that order for me makes the most sense. Maybe gearing too.

BUT first you need to decide what you want yer TJ to do.... so planning out function is first.
Big difference from DD, Beach Cruiser, Mud Bogger, Forestry Road Runner, Rock Crawler, Power Line Climber.
Until you identify that end use you cannot even pick a tread pattern.

TJs offer lots box stock. Good roll cage. Good approach, break over, departure angles. FABULOUS 4.0L ENGINE. Lift off doors and roof. And it is BUILT JEEP TOUGH.
For me, it'll be a DD with mild/moderate off-roading. There are a lot of little hard-to-reach ponds out on the AEP Recreation Lands that our cars just can't get to that I'd love to hit up.

I would say my biggest problem is over-preparation. Thanks to my time in the Army, I'm very prone to preparing for more than I need. Like... I don't think my needs would require a Rubicon trim with diff locks and all that, but... The voice in the back of my head constantly says, "What if...?" That's why I bought 4x ammo pouches mounted up-side down for my IOTV so I could carry 1000 rounds of ammo that were easily accessible rather than putting them in my assault pack. Yeah, it was a bit more cumbersome and cut into my hips, but when you need ammo, you'd rather it be there instead of in a bag.

"It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" is pretty much my MO. So, I sit here thinking, "I don't need what a Rubicon offers, but what if..." lol

'tis a curse.