Curious: Are there any "mandatory" or "no-brainer" mods for the TJ?

So i have a Rubi. Lockers standard. I tell ya.... they are invaluable. A progression, front wheel drive, four wheel drive, lockers..... then a winch. But lockers transform a 4x4.

I've been high centered over a windrow. Left front, right rear hanging free spinning. Solidly stuck. And then, brain wave. Try the locker switch.... let out the clutch and the stuffed right front, left rear pulled the Jeep clear. No winch, no anchor point, no buddy with a snatch strap.... Lockers do it. That could happen in the mall parking lot or turning around at the end of a cutline. Sometimes lockers keep your dignity.

Last edited:
How much does a lift affect highway handling?
Handling is fine, no drastic change. If you have worn front end components you’ll know it sooner. Gas mileage will drop some, but you’re in the wrong vehicle if you’re worried about that.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Thanks for that and the reminder it triggered. Besides, no good driver drives with their head stuck out the driver's door/window.

This is what I hate: If the spotter is signaling and the driver is sticking his head out looking at his front tires. Happens all the time :(

This is what I hate: If the spotter is signaling and the driver is sticking his head out looking at his front tires. Happens all the time :(
It is a big problem in JV. When I'm trying to work you through some of the stuff out there, if you miss the line and fall off, you have to back up and reset. Do that a few times and we've burned up a half hour screwing around with one rig on an obstacle. Over the years I've got to the point where the first time they look away, I stop them, walk over to them and quietly tell them that I can see all 4 tires, please watch me and stop watching your tires.
Next time they look away, I stop them again, walk over and quietly tell them that the next time they look away, when they look back up to where the spotter is, I won't be there and they can figure it out, get another spotter or do whatever, but I'm not going to waste my time over and over if they aren't going to pay attention.

What is the purpose of some of these aftermarket bumpers having these tongues that stick out and up at an angle?

What is the purpose of some of these aftermarket bumpers having these tongues that stick out and up at an angle?

The stinger bars? I think thats what your asking about.

I always thought they keep a vehicle from going end over end on steep declines. Rock crawlers use them. Thats my understanding.

jeep-xj-winch-bumper_1057-stinger-installed.jpg

The stinger bars? I think thats what your asking about.

I always thought they keep a vehicle from going end over end on steep declines. Rock crawlers use them. Thats my understanding.
Bingo - thanks!

Is there a thread on here about engine upgrades? Like... What's good to replace for engine longevity and durability, how to maximize output and efficiency, etc? My search-fu on here wasn't very successful.

Is there a thread on here about engine upgrades? Like... What's good to replace for engine longevity and durability, how to maximize output and efficiency, etc? My search-fu on here wasn't very successful.
Most of us think Jeep did a great job with the 4.0L in the TJs. torque, reliability, hard to improve those 2. Even output, unless you want it to run like a hotrod, the 4.0L has plenty of off road power.

So many other mods to do that will maybe improve the experience without touching the engine.

Good question.

Aside from regular maintenance.. oil, filter, fluids, occassional heater core flush, radiator flush, throttle body scrubbing action....

I just try to closely listen to the engine at start up.. and if there are any weird sounds.. I try to diagnose and fix it right away.

I also try to read up on likely issues that come with age, and be preemptive.. and see how my jeeps condition compares.

Ex.. cat, manifolds, thermostat...

Even output, unless you want it to run like a hotrod, the 4.0L has plenty of off road power.
It does, but only because the output is going through a torque multiplier. Put it in 4 hi and try to do anything other than drive on flat ground and the lack of power and torque is astoundingly obvious. The only things the 4.0 has going for it is a reasonable level of durability, it is pretty reliable, and the engine management system is pretty basic. The things it doesn't have going for it are how much it weighs, it's heavy for the power output and the engine management system is pretty basic.

Want to see a great Jeep motor? Go drive the 14-15 JK, now that's a good Jeep motor. We have one in a race Jeep. It has been abused, beat on, hammered to death, run hot, run at much higher rpm than it should be due to the trans going into overheat, and it's still screaming right along. In the same situations, the 4.0 was costing about 8-9000 per race to keep going and this one is still working just fine and will be in the race next month after being campaigned all of last year.

The 4.0 is okay and just barely adequate, no more. To put the weight in perspective. We swapped a 6.0 out of a Trailblazer SS into a well built TJ Unlimited. The front end came up an inch when it was all done and we had to lower it.

Reactions: Happy Joe
if you've ever had to use your winch and snapped a cable on a hard pull the bull bar can safe it from taking out the grill or windshield also steep inclines witch you shouldn't be on anyway
If I gave you the task of building something to protect the windshield from a snapped winch cable, I seriously doubt you would attempt to protect something that large with something that covers such a small area. So no, it won't protect the windshield and you're asking to get yourself seriously hurt if you depend on it to.

It does, but only because the output is going through a torque multiplier. Put it in 4 hi and try to do anything other than drive on flat ground and the lack of power and torque is astoundingly obvious. The only things the 4.0 has going for it is a reasonable level of durability, it is pretty reliable, and the engine management system is pretty basic. The things it doesn't have going for it are how much it weighs, it's heavy for the power output and the engine management system is pretty basic.

Want to see a great Jeep motor? Go drive the 14-15 JK, now that's a good Jeep motor. We have one in a race Jeep. It has been abused, beat on, hammered to death, run hot, run at much higher rpm than it should be due to the trans going into overheat, and it's still screaming right along. In the same situations, the 4.0 was costing about 8-9000 per race to keep going and this one is still working just fine and will be in the race next month after being campaigned all of last year.

The 4.0 is okay and just barely adequate, no more. To put the weight in perspective. We swapped a 6.0 out of a Trailblazer SS into a well built TJ Unlimited. The front end came up an inch when it was all done and we had to lower it.
I've looked at those Red Rock hemi-swaps. Not bad if you can get a frame, body, and suspension for next to nothing.

But something like a 5.3L L83 would go great in one of these, I think. 355hp and (most importantly) 382lb/ft of torque. Even the 4.3L LV1 would be a suitable upgrade.

To be fair, most vehicles in 4Hi aren't going to do much. I've driven a 3.6 offroad and it doesn't do anything in 4Hi. And while the gearing was way taller in the 3.6 than any 4.0 I've driven, I still wouldn't use 4Hi capability as the benchmark for offroad engine performance. I mean, do you test power on road by 5th or 6th gear pulls?

I would say that both the 4.0 and 3.6 are great motors, but they are meant for different uses. For what most TJ owners do, a 4.0 is nearly perfect. All I need is reliability and some torque. Even though I've never wheeled JV, I would imagine a 4.0 would be just as good as a 3.6 on some of the more technical trails.

In terms of racing, a 4.0 sucks and a 3.6 is probably great. But while I would rather have a 3.6 in a race, I'd rather have a 4.0 in Moab. They're both great engines, but just have different strengths. And in terms of weight, yeah its heavy, but would I rather trade weight for reliability? Yes 100% of the time. To put this in perspective, I've taken my TJ with 225k miles on the clock to some of the most remote places in Wyoming that can be reached by car. Never once did I ever have a second thought about whether or not I would make it home. I couldn't say the same thing with a 6.0.