Curious how a TJ is in the snow?

They do exceptionally well in the snow, but they'll do even better if you are:

a) a good driver in the snow
b) have the right tires (I'm sorry, but Mud Terrain tires SUCK in the snow, period. I run All Terrain tires, and while they aren't a dedicated snow tire, they do very, very well in the snow.)
c) know when and how to brake in the snow

So there you have it. Some people are just idiots in general though. I see videos online of morons in their Jeeps flying down a snowy road at 50 mph laughing at all the other cars going slow and getting stuck. I don't care how good your 4WD is or what you have done to your rig, you don't drive like a jackass in the snow, period.
very well said chris I prefur tall skinny tires in the winter no wider than 10" due to hydorplaning

Reactions: MikeM and Chris
very well said chris I prefur tall skinny tires in the winter no wider than 10" due to hydorplaning

Yep, that's why I run 10.5" wide tires as oppose to the 12" wide tires that most people like. For me it's about more than just looks.

Reactions: MikeM
Same ^^ Wish BFG still made the 33x9.50s.

JPSRUS.jpg

I drive my TJ and LJ year round and love the snow. How else would I get my Christmas tree? :D

upload_2017-11-5_11-39-26.png

I'm looking forward to driving on Lake Simcoe this winter (about 20 min. from here). Note the TJ snow plows at the 1 minute + mark and the JK at the end.

Reactions: MikeM
Same ^^ Wish BFG still made the 33x9.50s.

View attachment 25020

I agree. I had them on my 67’ Chevy stepside 4x4. Great tire for the winter. Wish bfg made them in the 33” and 31” sizes. As I recall my tread width was only 7.5” wide on those 33’s. Those tires exceeded my expectations in every driving condition I put them through.

Reactions: billiebob
My 4-cyl is a mountain goat in the snow. 29" Goodyear Trailrunner AT's are an exceptional choice for all-seasons as the narrow contact patch results in more pressure on the roadway. This is key. I go up a steep driveway in 2WD all winter long. Yesterday I took my new 2-week-old Tacoma TRD Sport with Michelin X-Ice II's (265/65R17's) for it's first trip in the ice and snow. Very disappointing! Spins easily on the flat trying to nurse the throttle, never mind the hill.

Goodyear Trailrunner AT.JPG

Reactions: BigskyTJ
My 4-cyl is a mountain goat in the snow. 29" Goodyear Trailrunner AT's are an exceptional choice
This ^^ Horsepower, low gearing, big rubber are all disadvantages in the snow.

I remember all my Dads 1970s Fords. Most straight sixes. I the winter you always used second to start. Never drive. First gear was always to low and resulted in wheel spin but lock the automatic in 2, second..... as they all used to do and no hill was too steep.

If you have a clutch, starting on ice in 2nd gear makes it easier to find traction. Driving a semi on mountain passes I always down shifted late. Same with my TJ. Mpountain passes in a snow storm... I down shift before 3000rpm and never use full throttle. Wheel spin is the killer. Just let the speed drop and down shift late. Opposite if you are accelerating, shift early, keep the rpms low. 2500-3500rpm tops.

gotta love this. If the comments are not about the TJ, they are about the Subaru. I agree Subaru makes the BEST AWD.

We just sold this...
sold.jpg

And bought this.... gonna miss that 6 cylinder...
bought.jpg

I know lots of cars have good AWD but you gotta drive a Subaru thru a snow storm to get the Rally Championship thing.

Last edited:
Drove my Rubicon on ice and packed snow for the first time this morning. It handles good but I suspect it won’t be as good as our Ford Explorer all wheel drive. We often drive on slick roads for months at a time here in Central Oregon so I’m pretty used to dealing with a variety of winter conditions. So far so good with the TJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeM and StG58
Drove my Rubicon on ice and packed snow for the first time this morning. It handles good but I suspect it won’t be as good as our Ford Explorer all wheel drive. We often drive on slick roads for months at a time here in Central Oregon so I’m pretty used to dealing with a variety of winter conditions. So far so good with the TJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love my TJ on snow and ice.

Reactions: BendLarry
For the last four years I had my Chili Pepper I had Cooper mud tires. Can't remember the exact name, but I went everywhere in the snow! Never got stuck, never missed work, went joy riding a LOT. Here in Northeast TN we don't have many straight flat roads, so I was pretty impressed with the Jeep and the tires.

Reactions: TJ Starting
That's Jeep snow, right there!

That's great whitetail hunting snow :) seriously though, when we get early snows in Michigan the deer are on the move (feeding more often and heading towards their winter yards). A mild season weather wise always makes it more challenging.

Reactions: StG58