Curious how a TJ is in the snow?

Here's two pictures that @ArcticWrangler posted in another thread. From Iceland. Seem to be doing OK in the snow.
12919885_10209205385041091_140208742452592572_n.jpg

12970951_10207282314429481_7274244376592570635_o.jpg

Interesting builds. No articulation, massive tires. Lots of gas cans.

I bet those where heavy duty ?
Bumpy ride on a hard surface. The links were about 3/8" in diameter if I remember correctly. Worked like paddles in the snotty mud too.[/QUOTE]
I have visions of a paddle steamer on the Mississippi for some reason.haha..but yeah that's what you want for ice or mud like that.

Reactions: StG58
Bumpy ride on a hard surface. The links were about 3/8" in diameter if I remember correctly. Worked like paddles in the snotty mud too.
I have visions of a paddle steamer on the Mississippi for some reason.haha..but yeah that's what you want for ice or mud like that.[/QUOTE]
Yup, same idea. Float that bad boy and paddle like crazy. We broke a lot of hubs off the axle shafts on those old axles. Twisted the splines right out of'm.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Those guys from Iceland are crazy. They went thru Yellowknife 10 years ago and drove across the Arctic Ocean from Inuvik to almost the Hudsons Bay. Zero roads. I think they had 6 F450s. And they went to Antarctia a few years ago. 70 below and hundreds of miles from civilization,

Reactions: Chris and StG58
I don't know what size those are, but we used to run 33x12.50 T/A AT's on the CJ's that did a lot of snow wheeling. Worked great in the mountains. Put chains on for when it got icy. Cut down log truck chains.
That's what I have for my tire chains now. Cut them down years ago for my CJ-5.

Reactions: StG58
Just watched this one.
Just goes to show you we have ID10t's in Orygun too. That's freezing rain he's skating around on. Solid ice lubricated with water. The ONLY way to drive on that stuff is with cross bar chains...slowly. If he lives long enough, he'll learn.

Reactions: MikeM
Daaammmn, are they running on balloons ?
Once the snow gets so deep, you have to try and "float" your Jeep on it as much as possible. That means very low ground loading, which means the biggest widest tires you can stuff under the lightest rig you can get your hands on. TJ SE anyone? 33x12.50's still rock for that.

Reactions: MikeM
Those guys from Iceland are crazy. They went thru Yellowknife 10 years ago and drove across the Arctic Ocean from Inuvik to almost the Hudsons Bay. Zero roads. I think they had 6 F450s. And they went to Antarctia a few years ago. 70 below and hundreds of miles from civilization,

Talk about building a rig to fit the trails you run

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and StG58
Talk about building a rig to fit the trails you run
Extreme example, but yes. Can you imagine driving one of those on a trail? They are pretty cool special purpose rigs. If you watch @billiebob's video, it looks like that big Ford actually floats on the tires he has on it. He crossed some leads and it sure looks like it did. From the way it bounced, it also looks like those tires have very little air pressure in them. It bounces just like a spray buggy does going down the road. Now those are some tires!
1-40.jpg

These tires are 66x44R25's. The do come bigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeM and Chris
Just goes to show you we have ID10t's in Orygun too. That's freezing rain he's skating around on. Solid ice lubricated with water. The ONLY way to drive on that stuff is with cross bar chains...slowly. If he lives long enough, he'll learn.

We've got plenty of idiots here. It's very, very amusing when people think they will have no problem driving on ice just because they have a 4x4. We watched that last year in Portland. Cars just skating around the roads. The drivers attempt to control them by turning the wheel, hitting the gas, applying brakes, but none of it does any good.

Once the snow gets so deep, you have to try and "float" your Jeep on it as much as possible. That means very low ground loading, which means the biggest widest tires you can stuff under the lightest rig you can get your hands on. TJ SE anyone? 33x12.50's still rock for that.
Will this work? Light vehicle....wide tires.
Samura on terra tires.jpg