Current Atlas Wait Thread

Here she is on the bench getting prepped for final install.

What put you over into an Atlas? Your tires don't look so big yet.

View attachment 223516
Ha! You are correct. Just doing the math on the calendar and I might be ready for it when it gets here

9DEEF0F8-84EB-45A5-AE11-325EFE57A39D.jpeg

Yes, I remember they had a tight friction fit but I was able to maneuver a pair of needle-nose and a small flathead to pry them out every time I had to make adjustment. More than one way to skin a cat. You'll need to remove them for final assembly and shrink-tube install, should you go that route.
Sierra could I see a picture of your tunnel plate and what you did with the boot?

Thanks man, ya that is about how I have mine laid out but the boot is smaller than the gaps I left in the tunnel. Just ordered some dynamat to do like you did and I can cover up the areas slightly outside of the boot ring. Did you use self tapper screw there?

PXL_20210207_044411406.jpg

I used 80mil Noico sound deadening mat and did the whole tub. Yes, I used the supplied sheet metal screws to hold the boot on. I did not make a forward piece of sheet metal. Just aft. The boot covers the opening. Fancy tin-knocking you have going on there...

Two weeks ago, I wheeled with the Atlas for the first time. We approached a tight left turn where everyone had to reverse twice. I popped the rear in Neutral, applied the parking brake and she pivoted right in place.

Reactions: Alex01 and Sj's TJ
I used 80mil Noico sound deadening mat and did the whole tub. Yes, I used the supplied sheet metal screws to hold the boot on. I did not make a forward piece of sheet metal. Just aft. The boot covers the opening. Fancy tin-knocking you have going on there...

Two weeks ago, I wheeled with the Atlas for the first time. We approached a tight left turn where everyone had to reverse twice. I popped the rear in Neutral, applied the parking brake and she pivoted right in place.
I had to cut the front of the opening more to get good clearance to the shift tower, did you not have to? We might be at slightly different heights

I had to cut the front of the opening more to get good clearance to the shift tower, did you not have to? We might be at slightly different heights
More than likely. Not everyones' rig is the same. Seeing your build, I think your case is slightly higher than mine. At first glance, the horizontal sections of your shifters look almost flush with the sheetmetal. I'd guess you're sitting about 3/8"-1/2" higher. How close is your shift tower from making contact with your tub?

Reactions: B00mb00m
Here’s a pic of the cutting I had to do to mine:
7049D6B8-6FF8-493D-8CA7-690F0C55527E.jpeg
I have a UCF Ultra High Clearance skid using a modded stock trans mount so she’s way up there. As you can see, the shift tower is almost in the cab.

Here’s a pic of the cutting I had to do to mine:
View attachment 224583I have a UCF Ultra High Clearance skid using a modded stock trans mount so she’s way up there. As you can see, the shift tower is almost in the cab.
Ya you are sitting even higher than mine. How did your boot install turn out?

Reactions: Sj's TJ
Ya you are sitting even higher than mine. How did your boot install turn out?
It turned out pretty well. I added some sheet metal:
5252D11A-1B44-40BC-8913-76D80942823F.jpeg
I didn’t take a picture of the boot install, but you can get the gist based on this pic. I put some rtv under the new sheet metal and then put a bunch of duct tape over all this before the boot install. Noise and moisture have been kept out thus far.

I'm buttoning up the interior finally. Im not super happy with clearances but I think and hope it will be enough. I don't love the boot. Ill have to do some searching for something with a wider base. It probably works fine for normal install but with tummy tuck the lever come up higher. I could also bend the levers as I have room to do so but I don't really feel like pulling it apart.l!

PXL_20210208_200549725.jpg

Reactions: Sj's TJ
It looks good in my eyes. A wider boot may give you troubles with console fitment. Not sure which knobs you have but I have the billet aluminum. The rear axle shift knob touches the bottom seat cushion. And no matter how much I push down the boot on the front axle shifter, part of the boot becomes visible when shifted into Low.

It looks good in my eyes. A wider boot may give you troubles with console fitment. Not sure which knobs you have but I have the billet aluminum. The rear axle shift knob touches the bottom seat cushion. And no matter how much I push down the boot on the front axle shifter, part of the boot becomes visible when shifted into Low.
I do want the billet ones, if for no other reason then it was so much work installing this thing more people should know!! But the black plastic looks totally stock so that is pretty rad. Guess the bronco missed the chance to the be first OEM twin stick.

I did all my adjustments with the seat fully pushed back so when you mentioned seat cushion I realized I forgot to check with seat forward. Luckily I didn't put the lever all the way back in the slot and I have good clearance.

Just waiting on driveshafts and hoping for no surprises!

PXL_20210208_230759452.jpg

PXL_20210208_214606414.jpg

I do want the billet ones, if for no other reason then it was so much work installing this thing more people should know!! But the black plastic looks totally stock so that is pretty rad. Guess the bronco missed the chance to the be first OEM twin stick.

I did all my adjustments with the seat fully pushed back so when you mentioned seat cushion I realized I forgot to check with seat forward. Luckily I didn't put the lever all the way back in the slot and I have good clearance.

Just waiting on driveshafts and hoping for no surprises!

View attachment 224700

View attachment 224701
Looks really good. My knobs are a little farther forward. I got my red knobs in late last week:
32A53490-030C-4E94-BCDB-3C2FD1A6C73F.jpeg
They really stick out now. I like it.

Gotcha... I have only found one other person who installed an atlas in a Rubicon TJ... I realize it's not a popular decision considering we already have a 4:1 and for a couple hundred bucks, a 2wd low kit can be added.

As for you guys with a non-Rubicon, wiring the 4wd switch is easy... I spent hours researching & devising methods to confuse my Rubicon PCM into thinking what mode the transfer case was in.... Using various relays, resistors, & AA's supplied pollak switches on the back of the shift rail.. After multiple attempts, resetting codes, nothing... Finally gave up and did the Rubicon locker hack mod and wired a "4wd" LED to the front axle switch and a "Lo" LED to the rear axle switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8R9GC9/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082P9ZC1P/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Gotcha... I have only found one other person who installed an atlas in a Rubicon TJ... I realize it's not a popular decision considering we already have a 4:1 and for a couple hundred bucks, a 2wd low kit can be added.

As for you guys with a non-Rubicon, wiring the 4wd switch is easy... I spent hours researching & devising methods to confuse my Rubicon PCM into thinking what mode the transfer case was in.... Using various relays, resistors, & AA's supplied pollak switches on the back of the shift rail.. After multiple attempts, resetting codes, nothing... Finally gave up and did the Rubicon locker hack mod and wired a "4wd" LED to the front axle switch and a "Lo" LED to the rear axle switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8R9GC9/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082P9ZC1P/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Nice, I will have to do something similar if/when I get to the W5a580 swap. So you just manually tell the tcm you're in LO by pushing the switch or it's just a light for you to see?