Current price doesn't matter...

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
...it only matters what the price is going to be next week/month.

I had this realization when I received this newsletter from a tool store:

1656709958333.png

Something interesting to note.

Once a year our church partners with other churches and the community to build thousands of disaster relief kits (Google “Crisis Care Kits”). Our church typically buys all of the supplies in bulk because it’s cheaper this way. There are multiple items in each kit so sometimes we’re ordering tens-of-thousands of product quantities each year.

This year with the price increases, our pastor was talking with some of the vendors about costs and availability. Several of them said that within the past few months, a shipping container from China to the US went from 4K to about 20k or so.

The scary part of that isn’t the price increase. The scary part is that they all said our economy isn’t experiencing that increase/inflation right now; that what we’re currently experiencing is actually the increases from last year, beginning in January/February of that time. If we’re feeling results from last year, what are we gonna feel next year?

Fun times ahead my friends.

Something interesting to note.

Once a year our church partners with other churches and the community to build thousands of disaster relief kits (Google “Crisis Care Kits”). Our church typically buys all of the supplies in bulk because it’s cheaper this way. There are multiple items in each kit so sometimes we’re ordering tens-of-thousands of product quantities each year.

This year with the price increases, our pastor was talking with some of the vendors about costs and availability. Several of them said that within the past few months, a shipping container from China to the US went from 4K to about 20k or so.

The scary part of that isn’t the price increase. The scary part is that they all said our economy isn’t experiencing that increase/inflation right now; that what we’re currently experiencing is actually the increases from last year, beginning in January/February of that time. If we’re feeling results from last year, what are we gonna feel next year?

Fun times ahead my friends.

I hope we make them feel it this Nov.

Reactions: Blondie70
That increase started about 2.5 years ago or so. It doubled in short order to about 8 grand per TEU. Then it just exploded upwards to 10, 12, 14, and is around 20+ grand now. The worst part is pricing is so volatile that they won't even quote shipping until the day they get billed for it so they know what it is actual.

We've had vendors cancel orders for us due to quoting us a price and then shipping increases doubled the parts cost putting them higher than retail here in the US.

• Wow
Reactions: B00mb00m
That increase started about 2.5 years ago or so. It doubled in short order to about 8 grand per TEU. Then it just exploded upwards to 10, 12, 14, and is around 20+ grand now. The worst part is pricing is so volatile that they won't even quote shipping until the day they get billed for it so they know what it is actual.

We've had vendors cancel orders for us due to quoting us a price and then shipping increases doubled the parts cost putting them higher than retail here in the US.

I know this will feel familiar to you.

The house we're building has an 8x16 covered patio. I wanted to do a metal roof just on that section because I want to sit under it and listen to the rain. Turns out metal on that area would cost $4,711 more than class 4 impact resistant asphalt shingles.

Right now it just has underlayment on it. We'll wait and see if it gets cheaper before we move in but if not it'll end up with shingles like the rest of the roof.

I know this will feel familiar to you.

The house we're building has an 8x16 covered patio. I wanted to do a metal roof just on that section because I want to sit under it and listen to the rain. Turns out metal on that area would cost $4,711 more than class 4 impact resistant asphalt shingles.

Right now it just has underlayment on it. We'll wait and see if it gets cheaper before we move in but if not it'll end up with shingles like the rest of the roof.

I actually found a sheet metal shop on FB that does "seconds" or uses rolls that have some staining on them. The giant bonus is when we got there, we were able to watch the machine roll the metal and form it into ribbed roof metal. It was utterly fascinating for about 20 minutes and then utterly boring.

At the end of it, I picked up 28 panels @ 36" wide x 8' long for about 680 bucks. 672 square feet or 5 times what you need. I'm covering two runs of 8' long metal x 35' of run so I got a couple extra just in case. The nice part is this is 24 gauge and most of the rest of the stuff I look at was more money for 28 and 29 gauge. All based on me not caring if it was stained. It is on a few pieces but nothing terrible. I also found 2 x 3 x 14 gauge rectangular tube for 4 bucks a foot which was less than the 5 bucks a foot for 2 x 2 14 gauge square. All in galvanized.

I actually found a sheet metal shop on FB that does "seconds" or uses rolls that have some staining on them. The giant bonus is when we got there, we were able to watch the machine roll the metal and form it into ribbed roof metal. It was utterly fascinating for about 20 minutes and then utterly boring.

At the end of it, I picked up 28 panels @ 36" wide x 8' long for about 680 bucks. 672 square feet or 5 times what you need. I'm covering two runs of 8' long metal x 35' of run so I got a couple extra just in case. The nice part is this is 24 gauge and most of the rest of the stuff I look at was more money for 28 and 29 gauge. All based on me not caring if it was stained. It is on a few pieces but nothing terrible. I also found 2 x 3 x 14 gauge rectangular tube for 4 bucks a foot which was less than the 5 bucks a foot for 2 x 2 14 gauge square. All in galvanized.

next time I'm out there for work I should find that place and bring some back with me. :ROFLMAO:

wait just a second....as I typed that I just remembered that my company recently acquired a metal building manufacturer. It's about 150 miles away but I could borrow my nephew's trailer and go get it.

Reactions: Mike_H and mrblaine
Was trying to build a studio/shop and was quoted several realistic labor costs but the materials costs was all over the place. So volatile where I am in mid Tennessee.