Current used TJ prices making me consider selling mine

connor grimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
the current demand for TJ'S in SoCal as reflected by the current asking prices on craigslist and other sites have been making me ponder the thought of selling my TJ which I said I would never sell. I'd consider mine to be in very good condition and only having 75k miles and upgrades id probably be selling for 15k-18k which is insane. Has anyone else considered selling their TJ due to recent demand?

Ever heard of seller's remorse? Think about what you would do with the money from the sale. If it will be for something that nets you equal or greater joy than your jeep then go for it. If it's to pay off debt or to buy some other mundane thing then reconsider.

It depends, prices in australia are coming back down to reality 8 1/2 -10 grand (7 1/2 K US) and they are all relatively rust free.
If the prices come back down to reality in US you will regret not selling for 15-19 grand forever. If you sell it and the prices go up you will regret it forever. :)

"Buy in hast repent at leisure" is what some owners are doing in oz who bought TJ,s at thousands more than the previous years prices, Gas price rises shorter work hours inflation, cuts in very generous Covid handouts and maintenance/parts costs have seen many unsuccessfully sell one on for what they paid.

Look at a US version of RED BOOK and that will give its true value unless its a collectable. Heres the AU redbook for a 2001 has not change since before covid stupid prices.

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2001-jeep-wrangler-sport-manual-4x4/SPOT-ITM-242960/
And the red book for a 2006

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/det...-anniversary-manual-4x4-my06/SPOT-ITM-243002/

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I'm not even thinking about selling. My Jeep means more to me than the extra money I'd end up spending on a replacement.

Everyone should keep this in mind because even if the replacement isn't another Jeep, it's cost is going up too.

Reactions: Tob
the current demand for TJ'S in SoCal as reflected by the current asking prices on craigslist and other sites have been making me ponder the thought of selling my TJ which I said I would never sell. I'd consider mine to be in very good condition and only having 75k miles and upgrades id probably be selling for 15k-18k which is insane. Has anyone else considered selling their TJ due to recent demand?
I think we’ve crossed the peak. Prices are still high, but things are not moving like they were before. Might work.

I do want one for my son, but I should have done it 2 years ago.
There still may be some deals. Around here I find deals an hour plus out of town. Any closer and they are sky high.

I have been debating selling my TJ, and my Ram Rebel. Consolidate with a well optioned JL Rubicon. Use it as both my daily driver and my trail rig.

I don’t know.

Reactions: connor grimes

I recently turned down a $40k cash offer for my LJ... so... No.

Our LJ is ours... I made it what it is and it would cost me $40k to buy a new one and get it back the way I want it anyway. Not to mention the hassle/time required to even find a new one.

Now give me $65k or so and I'll go buy a stock LJ Non-Rubicon and start over with bigger axles etc. :)

The used car market is insane it's true, but you only profit off it if you sell and go buy something different or not at all. My P/U for example, bought it new in 2019 for 62k, current blue book is like $69k Trade-in or $73k private sale but replacing it would be so expensive it would likely cost me money in the long run.

Last edited:
I got mine for 9k. It’s a 4.0 5speed with 130000k. Has 3.5 inch rough country on brand new 33s. How good or bad of a deal did I get?

Reactions: JMT
Ted DiBiase taught me that everything has a price...throw it out there for a ridiculous price and see what happens