Currie 4” Lift Spring Selection

01TJ-Blues

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey guys. I purchased a Currie JJ 4” lift system and before I install it I wanted to be sure I have the correct springs. The standard TJ kit (9801) comes with the “TJ” springs and as I have a heavy front bumper and winch I’m curious if I need to swap them out for the LJ/4 door springs.

Anyone have any suggestions or guidance? @jjvw & @Jerry Bransford I know you have lots of experience with these so any guidance would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Install them and see what happens. If you are concerned about a possible return, add a few layers of blue tape to the contact areas and be careful.

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
Install them and see what happens. If you are concerned about a possible return, add a few layers of blue tape to the contact areas and be careful.

Is there an ideal ride height length? Obviously if they are perfect fresh and new they will sag some later. I don’t want the factory rake, level preferably.

Is there an ideal ride height length? Obviously if they are perfect fresh and new they will sag some later. I don’t want the factory rake, level preferably.

That is a surprisingly complex question.

If you manage to make your Jeep level in the driveway, it won't be level the moment the dog jumps in the back, you crawl in and head to the gas station to fill up the empty tank.

A bit of rake is useful and helps make the Jeep not look dumb while you are in it.

As far as the ideal amount of ride height...

Larger tires, longer shocks, and other non-factory components typically require some amount of bump stop extension to prevent parts from crashing together. Bump stop extension necessarily reduces suspension up travel. Increasing the ride height with a lift spring is a way to recover the lost up travel after extending the bump stops.

Therefore, the appropriate amount of lift height begins with the amount of lift that restores the factory 4" of suspension up travel. After that, you are making considerations for things like additional suspension travel, frame height, rake, etc.

The common suggestions for X amount of lift for Y size tire are general guidelines. But can be adjusted one way or another depending on the end goal of the build.

The one detail that I would consider a priority is to always maintain that factory 4" of up travel as a minimum. That is where the "ideal ride height" begins to take shape.

Thst is a surprisingly complex question.

If you manage to make your Jeep level in the driveway, it won't be level the moment the dog jumps in the back, you crawl in and head to the gas station to fill up the empty tank.

A bit of rake is useful and helps make the Jeep not look dumb while you are in it.

As far as the ideal amount of ride height...

Larger tires, longer shocks, and other non-factory components typically require some amount of bump stop extension to prevent parts from crashing together. Bump stop extension necessarily reduces suspension up travel. Increasing the ride height with a lift spring is a way to recover the lost up travel after extending the bump stops.

Therefore, the appropriate amount of lift height begins with the amount of lift that restores the factory 4" of suspension up travel. After that, you are making considerations for things like additional suspension travel, frame height, rake, etc.

The common suggestions for X amount of lift for Y size tire are general guidelines. But can be adjusted one way or another depending on the end goal of the build.

The one detail that I would consider a priority is to always maintain that factory 4" of up travel as a minimum. That is where the "ideal ride height" begins to take shape.

Nicely explained. Thank you.

I believe the LJ and TJ front springs are the same part. The LJ rears are the same spring, just .5” taller.

If your Jeep has excessive rake, there are several options:
  1. Add/remove weight
  2. Install coil spring spacers to increase the lift height a corresponding amount at that location
  3. Install airbags (such as Air Lift 1000 universals) to provide adjustable rate springs and level the jeep
  4. Install taller/shorter/stiffer/softer springs