Currie Antirock has allowed me to climb easier (am I imagining this?)

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
Last year I added a Currie Antirock, which seems to have improved the Jeeps ability to climb far more than I thought possible. I say this because I consistently wheel in the same place and have a good baseline for what the Jeep can and can't do easily. One particular obstacle that has routinely given me problems is a long steep stair step climb. Before the Antirock I would struggle to get up and over it, failing more times than succeeding. After the Antirock, with no other changes, I've been able to walk up it, even in wet conditions. Am I imagining this?

I find this as well and often tell people I think an Anti-rock is a great upgrade as it helps keep some pressure on the tires and it also helps lift the tire with less jeep weight over the obstacle.

I now hate wheeling Jeeps that are fully disconnected. It feels so loose.

Last year I added a Currie Antirock, which seems to have improved the Jeeps ability to climb far more than I thought possible. I say this because I consistently wheel in the same place and have a good baseline for what the Jeep can and can't do easily. One particular obstacle that has routinely given me problems is a long steep stair step climb. Before the Antirock I would struggle to get up and over it, failing more times than succeeding. After the Antirock, with no other changes, I've been able to walk up it, even in wet conditions. Am I imagining this?
Great feedback. I’ve been on the fence, but I’m moving closer to the antirock side

Reactions: Jamesval035
Great feedback. I’ve been on the fence, but I’m moving closer to the antirock side

After installing it I've noticed less front wheel spin/hop, resulting in improved traction. As I said, I'm unsure of whether I'm imagining a significant improvement or not. However, next to adding a Rubicrawler, allowing for easy switching between 2.72:1 and 4:1, I'd have to say the Antirock is one of the best improvements made. I wish I could say that about other modifications!

Reactions: Apparition
I know about the delivery issues that some have for them, but does anyone have any comparison between the Anti-Rock, and the Sway-Loc?

Anti-Rock for the TJ uses the round frame crossmember with bushings, correct?

We've made that point and generally it has been soundly ignored so we pretty much quit. We have a pretty cookie cutter build level for JV with a few options for 35's. Mostly the folks who read the internet about loss of flex won't run them but run disconnects. That rig spends a lot more time stacking and getting a tug here and there on the trail where the folks with the AR just walk right through sections. The lines are fairly narrow so it isn't line picking, it is just basic traction and how the AR improves it.

Also why I don't chase flex in any of the builds I do. Well set up suspension that works well more than compensates for a few inches of wheel travel.

We've made that point and generally it has been soundly ignored so we pretty much quit. We have a pretty cookie cutter build level for JV with a few options for 35's. Mostly the folks who read the internet about loss of flex won't run them but run disconnects. That rig spends a lot more time stacking and getting a tug here and there on the trail where the folks with the AR just walk right through sections. The lines are fairly narrow so it isn't line picking, it is just basic traction and how the AR improves it.

Also why I don't chase flex in any of the builds I do. Well set up suspension that works well more than compensates for a few inches of wheel travel.

In our area, the traction conditions vary greatly. Dry one minute, sloppy wet the next. I can say with confidence that this is a modification that does exactly what it says it will, i.e. controls body roll and improves traction . For folks that don't listen, they should!

Reactions: Kevin Q and jjvw
I know about the delivery issues that some have for them, but does anyone have any comparison between the Anti-Rock, and the Sway-Loc?

Anti-Rock for the TJ uses the round frame crossmember with bushings, correct?
I have run the sway-loc for years, and it is among the best mods I’ve made (among many) to my rig. I believe it was originally developed by Blaine, and it performs exactly like the anti-roc off road. For me, the difference is a much better, much more controlled ride on the street when set to street mode (a quick flip of a lever) and it is a very noticeable difference. The down side is of course the cost, which is much more than that of the anti-rock. Well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
@Irun I'm curious what setting (hole) you're using?

This is a case where I did a little experimenting. I used a real climb to test the settings.

Step 1 - Established a baseline climb, without the AR
Step 2 - Installed AR and set to 3, per suggestion from others. Made the climb several times, to compare to the original baseline.
Step 3 - Changed the settings to the last (5) setting and repeat climbs.
Step 4 - Change right side setting back to 3, but leave the left side set to 5, and repeat.

In all the climbs, the latter felt like the best balance. I noticed consistent traction, with minimal body roll. Admittedly, this could simply be an artifact of repeated climbs improved my driving skill and knowledge of lines, but I consciously tried to take the same lines, at the same speeds each time.

To balance this out, I repeated the exact same process for driving on the road. In the end, I landed on Step 4 above. One set to hole three, one set to hole 5. I don't know if this makes sense or not, but know my vehicle well enough to "feel" subtle differences.

I have always intuitively thought that ....recently there was a post where a stock TJ plain old outwheeled a built one.

If it's in keeping with this thread, what does an Antirock do ...does it sort of split the difference between regular sway bar links and a disconnected set up for more axle movement when needed?

One on 3 and one on 5.....that is interesting. I'm spinning my wheels working through the physics of that. The answer I come up with is that equals both on 4. No laughing please.

Reactions: bstrobel64
One on 3 and one on 5.....that is interesting. I'm spinning my wheels working through the physics of that. The answer I come up with is that equals both on 4. No laughing please.
:) I thought about this after the fact. The only reason I didn't test both on 4 was I simply ran out of time!

Reactions: andy29847

Just to clarify, is there something special about anti-rock vs stock sway? I'm thinking about the rear sway here, since i'm still running stock sway in back.