Currie Antirock vs Disconnects: Why settle for one when you can have both

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Apparently there are JKU owners out there who run the Currie Antirock along with disconnects.

46512292_10209446970011597_7180173123969351680_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
This gets into the argument if antirock is better than disconnects.

Is Coke better than Pepsi
Is Ford better than Chevy

I think it's the best compromise of everything. Well you don't have to disconnect an antirock. If you did then it would be no different than just connecting a regular sway bar.

I do not see this as a problem I see this is a solution. He has single-handedly won the debate. The answer is both

This gets into the argument if antirock is better than disconnects.

Is Coke better than Pepsi
Is Ford better than Chevy

I think it's the best compromise of everything. Well you don't have to disconnect an antirock. If you did then it would be no different than just connecting a regular sway bar.

I do not see this as a problem I see this is a solution. He has single-handedly won the debate. The answer is both

Depends on what you're doing too. If your vehicle was strictly off-road, there's no doubt the Antirock would be better. All of those professional race rigs at KOH don't use disconnects for a reason... they use torsion bars, same as the Currie Antirock.

But again, I'm talking about strictly off-road.

This just defeats the entire purpose of the Antirock altogether. But this is on a JKU, so I'm really not surprised.

Some people still prefer the good old days of disconnects. I have found very little other than forums and paid articles that compare the real difference between the two. Mostly opinions (some from well respected people) and the argument is still running.

I have always been a skeptic. The KOH combination of rocks and street driving (dirt) leads me be to believe that it is the best compromise.

I an NOT saying that it is a bad product. I will be using one sooner or later. But you have the hard core guys that remove the swaybar completely on full time off road jeeps.

The way i look at it the disconnects don't effect the use of the antirock while attached. So it works the same.

This could be written a hole lot better but im tired Turkey day kicked my butt

Since this person has the disconnects on the top of the link, what does he do with both the disconnected link, and the disconnected swaybar? You can't just disconnect them and let them flop...

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats and Chris
Since this person has the disconnects on the top of the link, what does he do with either the disconnected link, and the disconnected swaybar? You can't just disconnect them and let them flop...

I'm not sure he thought that far ahead :risas3:

I guess I could have elaborated on my sarcasm lol. It was a subtle “dis” with the intent being to say they are trying to reinvent the wheel. Trying to combine the two, but I turn just look like an idiot lol.

But yes, it is also possible they think the anti-rock is just an “upgraded” sway bar lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
They're driving a JKU... it's also possible (and highly probable) that they don't realize the top and doors come off either.

• Haha
Reactions: Don Bulee
Some people still prefer the good old days of disconnects. I have found very little other than forums and paid articles that compare the real difference between the two. Mostly opinions (some from well respected people) and the argument is still running.

I have always been a skeptic. The KOH combination of rocks and street driving (dirt) leads me be to believe that it is the best compromise.

I an NOT saying that it is a bad product. I will be using one sooner or later. But you have the hard core guys that remove the swaybar completely on full time off road jeeps.

The way i look at it the disconnects don't effect the use of the antirock while attached. So it works the same.

This could be written a hole lot better but im tired Turkey day kicked my butt
It is easy to be skeptical when you are wheeling where it doesn't matter. When you wheel where it matters, bring your disconnects out and we can easily show you the difference in a few hundred feet of trail. We've tested this over and over as well as watched it over and over. It's always the guy "you guys and your swaybars are giving up flex, let me show you how it's done", that gets a lesson or 2 or 12.

Where identically set up rigs in front and behind with the AR will walk right through stuff, he's stuck and has to be tugged, stacked for, winched, or assisted in some manner because he is giving up traction and where we play, traction matters.

If you want to see a prime example of "Mr. Hardcore" and how you can do just about everything wrong and still get by, send me a PM with a promise to keep your mouth shut and I'll send you to a stretched TJ Unlimited on 40-42" tires with a whopping 3" of up travel and every bullshit justification in the world as to why that's okay.

Point being, there's lots of hardcore folks out there with their heads up their asses who encourage others to join them.

I saw a guy on the trail a few weeks ago with a TJ who had an ARock and Disconnects. IIRC he disconnected. WTH? I should have offered to buy the ARock and I will next time I see him. It’s doing him absolutely no good.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
@mrblaine

I was not saying or trying to say one was better than the other. As the information I have is mostly flat land off roading. (Not mudding) just not the extreme crawling that seems to be the most popular nowadays.

I was trying to say people do weird things.

I saw a guy on the trail a few weeks ago with a TJ who had an ARock and Disconnects. IIRC he disconnected. WTH? I should have offered to buy the ARock and I will next time I see him. It’s doing him absolutely no good.

Clearly there's more stupid people than I thought. They must assume that the Antirock is a "bling" part, and the disconnects are the "functional" parts.

People blow my mind.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
seeing the disconnect mounted "upside down" like that makes me wonder if he ever actually intends to use it as a disconnect.

I know sometimes when the heim joints start squeaking in earnest on my Swayloc end links, I wonder what would keep me from using my old JKS discos as end links, with no intention of ever actually disconnecting. They never squeaked or rattled once in six years/45000 milesof use...still in my garage somewhere

haven't done it yet, but I do sometimes think about it

Reactions: Serbonze
Looking at that picture it doesn't look like that Jeep has or is ever going off road. I think it is just Jeep jewelry.

I am still on the fence with my AR, As I get older I don't wheel that often, well as much as I drive on the street. Trying to slow down from high speeds and turning on over passes makes the body sway and efs with the steering as I am trying to compensate for the body sway and making it worse. I know I have to figure that out but the disconnects would be much easier on the road me thinks.

Plus the fact that I have front and rear E-lockers even if a tire leaves the ground I still have power on the other tire that didn't leave the ground. Since I don't do much rock crawling, I am really on the fence on how much I like my AR for driving on the street. Off-road I can really see the advantage of it. So I have to give up drivability on the road for better traction off of the road. That is something I have to decide. I haven't really been anywhere hard core yet to test it off road. Stupid work is keeping my grounded lately. I kind of wish I could have both fairly easily. I mean AR for offroading and disconnects for on-roading. Not that I would ever disconnect, but if I could disconnect and my AR would kick in that would be pretty alright.

Someone invent that please!

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
Something like a dual rate antisway bar?

Disconnects on an Antirock makes no sense, but being able to move between a stiffer on-road setting and a softer off-road setting has merit.

The JKS Flex Connect is also intriguing as an in-between solution.
https://jksmfg.com/i-22322737-flex-connect-sway-bar-link-kit-jk-wrangler-patent-pending.html
That is intriguing. I am going to look into that. I am frustrated with the anti rock on the road, but have yet to really go off road with it yet. I am trying but with the holidays and the projects I just haven't had the time yet to go see what the AR actually does.

That is intriguing. I am going to look into that. I am frustrated with the anti rock on the road, but have yet to really go off road with it yet. I am trying but with the holidays and the projects I just haven't had the time yet to go see what the AR actually does.
Amen to that. One day ill get to enjoy the jeep.