Currie Antirock vs Disconnects: Why settle for one when you can have both

Reactions: ac_
That is intriguing. I am going to look into that. I am frustrated with the anti rock on the road, but have yet to really go off road with it yet. I am trying but with the holidays and the projects I just haven't had the time yet to go see what the AR actually does.

I wheeled with @Daryl a few weeks ago. He had I think the terafelx dual rated sway bar (Mr he who that shall not be named Blaine) invented or something then disavowed. It looked like what you would like

Reactions: Serbonze and ac_
I wheeled with @Daryl a few weeks ago. He had I think the terafelx dual rated sway bar (Mr he who that shall not be named Blaine) invented or something then disavowed. It looked like what you would like
The one I have is ORO (Off Road Only) brand dual rate.

Reactions: Thunderhead
Per the JKS website:
  1. Important Notes
  2. Works on JK and JK Rubicon front sway bar only
Formalities... :)

It's just a link. It won't directly fit the stock TJ sway bar. But imagine a stiffer Antirock with the Flex Connect. The Flex Connect creates a short soft range of motion before the main sway bar takes over. Think of the assembly as a progressive rate sway bar.

Last edited:
Ok now my interest is peaked. Teraflex dual rate swaybar. Its a high price to pay. For $900 you can get 2 antirock's. You still have to manually switch it ( just like disconnecting ). It has me wondering if it is that much better. I think its time for research.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/tj-4-6-front-dual-rate-s-t-sway-bar-kit
Just for clarity, these dual rate sway bars are not just like disconnecting. They allow you to switch between a stiff rate and a soft rate.

There are disconnecting sway bars like Skyjacker. These are just like disconnecting. A very expensive way of disconnecting.

Just for clarity, these dual rate sway bars are not just like disconnecting. They allow you to switch between a stiff rate and a soft rate.

There are disconnecting sway bars like Skyjacker. These are just like disconnecting. A very expensive way of disconnecting.
I was unclear on what i meant. That is a problem with my brain to mouth connection.

I was more referring to having to get out of the jeep to manually switch it into trail mode. Also i wonder if it will suffer from the same problem if you are not perfectly level when trying to switch between trail and on-road rate

I was unclear on what i meant. That is a problem with my brain to mouth connection.

I was more referring to having to get out of the jeep to manually switch it into trail mode. Also i wonder if it will suffer from the same problem if you are not perfectly level when trying to switch between trail and on-road rate
Some sort of locking mechanism would need to line up. I recall the Swayloc latch design being spring loaded, so rocking the body side to side would let you switch between the two rates.

Last edited:
They make a TJ version now.

https://jksmfg.com/i-24048413-tj-xj-zj-flex-connect-kit-pair.html
I wonder what will the performance be, if you use it with something like the Currie AntiRock or the Swayloc. Overkill, @jjvw? :)

I've been interested in the Flex Connect for quite a while. All it is doing is creating a progressive rate sway bar. The first section of movement is the softer combined rates of the Flex Connect and the main bar. Once the FC spring goes solid, the higher rate of the main bar takes over.

On a tunable sway bar like the Antirock, I envision it being on a stiffer setting when used with a FC.

This combo should offer the comfort of a light sway bar on a rough road and also the increased stability we are looking for in off camber and high articulation situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
On a tunable sway bar like the Antirock, I envision it being on a stiffer setting when used with a FC.

This combo should offer the comfort of a light sway bar on a rough road and also the increased stability we are looking for in off camber and high articulation situations.

I think I understand what you are saying.

What happens when you use this with a stock (stiff) swaybar? Is there such a thing as too stiff? Would there still be a benefit for on-road? The benefits with a swaybar like Currie is pretty clear.

Edit: from the website -

JKS offers 3 spring sets that can be mixed and matched to tune the vehicles roll stiffness, all of which can be installed in a matter of minutes using the supplied spanner wrenches whether you’re in the driveway or at the trailhead.

I guess that kind of answers my question. You can pick how much "assist" you want with the springs.

Last edited:
I think I understand what you are saying.

What happens when you use this with a stock (stiff) swaybar? Would there still be a benefit for on-road? The benefits with a swaybar like Currie is pretty clear.
It's all a matter of degree. Think of these as two springs working as a system. Yes, the FC would improve the off-road capacities in a similar manner as the AR by allowing more movement to the overall system. But the behavioral characteristics would (should) be different due to the change in spring rate as the sway bar+FC moves through its travel.

The question in the back of my head is wondering how similar this is the linear vs progressive lift spring debates. My idea of a AR+FC works in theory, but would it translate into something meaningful in the real world when compared to the simple Antirock all by itself.

If the Flex Connect wasn't $300, I would be far more likely to try it out.

Edit: from the website -

JKS offers 3 spring sets that can be mixed and matched to tune the vehicles roll stiffness, all of which can be installed in a matter of minutes using the supplied spanner wrenches whether you’re in the driveway or at the trailhead.

I guess that kind of answers my question. You can pick how much "assist" you want with the springs.

My understanding/assumption is that all the various spring options for tuning would decrease the rate of the overall system while the FC is active as compared to the stock sway bar.

If one were to use the FC on an AR, the AR would be set to be stiffer while the FC tuning spring would be one of the lighter ones.

Reactions: psrivats
The question in the back of my head is wondering how similar this is the linear vs progressive lift spring debates. My idea of a AR+FC works in theory, but would it translate into something meaningful in the real world when compared to the simple Antirock all by itself.

We would have a coupled system with a torsional spring (swaybar) and the linear springs (Flex connect). The overall system response will be different but hard to say without doing some math whether it will show a behavior similar to a progressive rate swaybar. Our resident spring expert @Mike_H may have some thoughts.

Reactions: jjvw
If one were to use the FC on an AR, the AR would be set to be stiffer while the FC tuning spring would be one of the lighter ones.

I agree. That would be the best way to set up the combo and makes the most sense to gain on-road benefit without losing too much off-road. You are taking part the "load" on the swaybar and "transferring" it to the flex connect springs to very crudely explain it.

Reactions: jjvw
To further add some helpful doubt to my idea, how tunable are the sway bars in the racing world compared to an Antirock? Is there something similar to what we are discussing? In that context, they are utilizing shocks to control movement at a far greater degree of nuance than most of us ever will. Meaning that the race guys are very likely using shocks (and other aspects of the suspension design) to create something similar to the sway bar behavior that the AR+FC might accomplish. The flutter stack in a higher end shock might be a decent place to begin understanding this.

Last edited: