Currie Dana 44

Old Pueblo

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
D4A2BCFE-8FB9-43FC-8803-C17CDF9EC83E.jpeg
Finally arrived . Right at 14 weeks. I’m gonna wait until the end of August to install it. Too hot right now. I just got my rear 44 regeared to 5.38 with an arb rd109 and 35 spline axles. I was running 4.88 with 33’s and it was just ok. When I went to 35’s it was a dog, always hunting for gears. 5.38 is perfect. 2006 LJ.

Honestly one of the best things I did to my Jeep. I don't understand why anyone messes around modding the 30.

Reactions: Old Pueblo
Honestly one of the best things I did to my Jeep. I don't understand why anyone messes around modding the 30.

After breaking multiple axle shafts on the Dana 30, I went to 30 Spline axles shafts. That moved the weak link to the ring & pinion. I then put in the Currie (Rock Jock at the time) HP44, ARB with 4.88s and have been extremely happy with it.

Does it have better caster angles? One of the problem with lifting TJ is a struggle to keep front driveshaft angles and proper caster angle.

Yes it has a separation between pinion and caster angles larger than OEM axles (at least this is stated by the manufacturer)

This is very good. Option to have a lift and proper caster is something that I cannot get with my Dana 30 HP that took from XJ

I have manual hubs up front so it didn't bother me as much but if I remember correctly, you could tell them what caster angle you wanted when you ordered.

@Old Pueblo So what upper ball joints came in it? I have heard they come with stock TJ upper ball joints, but I have also heard they come with stock JK upper ball joints.

Last edited:
I have a WJ conversion which requires different ball joints but similar to TJ's. I would imagine if price is not a concern, they could do whatever you want.

Because even with this, the weak point is still generally the ball joints, hub bearings, and u-joints...

If those items are your main concerns then messing around with either a 30 or 44 is pointless. Go and buy a 60.

Reactions: Irun
If those items are your main concerns then messing around with either a 30 or 44 is pointless. Go and buy a 60.

Yeah - that was my point :)

Spending good money on an aftermarket Dana 44 that has the same failure points of a Dana 30 (and the same shitty brakes) seems like the waste to me, especially when considering that Dana 30’s have proven to be extremely reliable with 35”s and lockers. To each their own I suppose.

Last edited:

Agreed , Go big or go home. It seem the at some point Dana 60 's and 40 " + dia. tires are the only answer on a TJ .
Of course that begs the question if someone should build a Jeep or build a tube buggy.
IF I have to trailer a Rig , It would have to be a Buggy since it would typically slap down a "big " TJ for less money and hassle.

Not my gig , but everyone needs to find that Fun/usability definition for then selves .

After breaking multiple axle shafts on the Dana 30, I went to 30 Spline axles shafts. That moved the weak link to the ring & pinion. I then put in the Currie (Rock Jock at the time) HP44, ARB with 4.88s and have been extremely happy with it.

How many ring gears did you break?