Currie Dana 44

There are many factors to how balljoint wear and tire diameter is a small variable in that. People always make it out like your balljoints are going to explode as soon as you go from 35s to 37s. There will be a bigger difference in force on your balljoints by varying your rim backspacing than changing tire size. How you wheel is another big factor that people dont talk about. Its a subject that requires good understanding of vehicle dynamics to understand what forces are acting on the joints. I know enough to know that tire size is a small part of the equation but not enough to know all the variables. Its not fair to use anecdotal evidence to support an argument when we only know a single variable in the multi-variable equation that is balljoint wear.

Two. Put the third set in and sold the assembly. Manual transmissions are hell on drivetrain components. Automatics are more forgiving.

I'm not sure that autos are necessarily easier on drivetrains components. Autos can generate a lot of torque without ever stalling the engine.

The nuance in that statement about 37s and Dana 30/44 ball joints is whether or not the rig is being used where a 37" tire is actually a requirement. Lots of guys are running huge tires on what they call hardcore trails. And they are being followed by others on 32s and 33s who are feeling good about their accomplishments following the big boys on easy trails.

Yes I’m aware those people exist but that’s not who I’m talking about, and you and I both know that.

It isn't necessarily breaking BJs. Wearing them out frequently and stretching the inner C holes is what is usually happening.

Again, how frequently is this happening? Apparition just said he’s got 4 years on his. That sounds to me like he got his money worth.

I'm not sure that autos are necessarily easier on drivetrains components. Autos can generate a lot of torque without ever stalling the engine.

I'm not talking torque, I talking shock load. Driving in the NE, mud and then rocks. Transition between the two can be interesting. The automatics seem to absorb the shock better.

Last edited:
Reactions: pc1p and Irun
He might have had even more money in his pocket with his old axle. 😉

The main cost was the axle housing itself as I was adding new gears, lockers, axle shafts and BBK anyway. And I sold my stock axle complete to recoup some of the difference otherwise I'd have been selling parts that nobody would want. It was much cheaper when I did it.

Only reason for the 44 is 5.38's. If you're staying 35's or less, and don't need/want 5.38's build a stout 30 in either low or high pinion.

If going over 35's I'd run 60's. Someday that axle will probably get replaced by a 60.

Although based on no actual evidence, I’ve always believed that a high pinion Jeep 30 up front is pretty close to the strength of a low pinion Jeep 44 up front (Assuming 30 splines in both). With the added benefit of clearance at the diff.

Fair statement?

Although based on no actual evidence, I’ve always believed that a high pinion Jeep 30 up front is pretty close to the strength of a low pinion Jeep 44 up front (Assuming 30 splines in both). With the added benefit of clearance at the diff.

Fair statement?

200.gif

I thought Currie 44s were custom built with stronger tubes and components.

Get a high pinon if you are worried a out clearance.

https://www.currieenterprises.com/currie-44-tj-front-axle

They do, it's a stout axle for sure and they also say this at that link:

Tire Size: Recommended maximum 37-inch tire size due to the inherent limitations of the stock brakes, wheel bearings, and axle u-joints. Tires larger than 31-inches may require vehicle modification for proper clearance.

Reactions: pc1p
Wow! This thread turned into something I didn’t intend.

I wanted this 44 because 5.38 gears. By any metric it’s superior to my stock open Dana 30. I’m on 35’s with no plans to go bigger. I’m building my LJ for camping in the deep wilderness, not to race at KOH.

Perfectly valid reason. The discussion stemmed from someone saying dana 30s are a waste of time.

Wow! This thread turned into something I didn’t intend.

I wanted this 44 because 5.38 gears. By any metric it’s superior to my stock open Dana 30. I’m on 35’s with no plans to go bigger. I’m building my LJ for camping in the deep wilderness, not to race at KOH.

You mean to say a thread on WJTJF went off topic and turned into a shit show?