Currie Front Trac Bar: CE-9120TJJ vs CE-9120TJS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain why it’s potentially not necessary. Because my stock bolt and many others say otherwise.

I'm using a stock bolt. So far, so good. If that changes, I know where to get a stronger bolt with a nicer flag nut.

Reactions: J R
Can you explain why it’s potentially not necessary. Because my stock bolt and many others say otherwise.

I simply refuted the idea that using the stock bolt implies another bolt option is “useless”.

I’m not opposed to overkill, but it doesn’t sound like a hard and fast requirement to change out the bolt - though for many it may make sense.

What's the advantage of the ARP Black Magic bolt over a generic Grade 12.9 or 10.9 bolt? Just that it comes with a flag nut?

So you are calling @mrblaine’s and curries product useless? There are many threads showing this to be beneficial.
My product is essentially useless. I only ever put the pieces together to tell folks that if you are not going to believe that the 100's of 1000's of stock bolts in use are not a problem, then here, spend lots of money on something to satisfy that silly belief system. Sadly, the expense doesn't come from my mark-up since I only make a couple of bucks gross profit on them.

Last edited:
What's the advantage of the ARP Black Magic bolt over a generic Grade 12.9 or 10.9 bolt? Just that it comes with a flag nut?
The slight advantage is a slight increase in strength over 10.9. If I could find a 12.9 in something cheaper, I'd certainly use it before buying my silly bolt set up. That said, the flag nut is really good.

That thread and the giant flaming bandwagon everyone hopped onto telling everyone else that hole size mattered is precisely why I started selling the ARP bolt.
The second I hear someone say that their stock hole was “wallowed” out so they need a bigger bolt to make it tight I know who I’m talking to.

Reactions: mrblaine
The second I hear someone say that their stock hole was “wallowed” out so they need a bigger bolt to make it tight I know who I’m talking to.
Unfortunately he was not a dumb guy. He just tended to get obsessed with something and would not listen to anything else if it didn't fit his narrative. I believe it was him that we had many bulletproof diff cover discussions with. Big proponent, may hit a chunk of space debris on the highway and dent your diff cover.

Maybe but what about uptravel, clearance, tie rod interference, etc.?

Bulletproof, rah rah rah. Over and over.

Sorry I thought your website said 10.9. Thanks for correcting.
The special stainless they use is rated at 170,000 psi. 12.9 is about 180,000 psi. 10.9 is 150,000 or roughly equivalent to Grade 8 depending on which site you are finding the info.

Reactions: gaabbee
Can someone help me understand how the hole is getting wallowed out in the first place? Is it a function of some newb not following torque specs or something off-roading causing it?

Can someone help me understand how the hole is getting wallowed out in the first place? Is it a function of some newb not following torque specs or something off-roading causing it?
Two things contribute. One is under tightening, the other is over tightening. Bolts in this and all other slip critical applications function as clamps. In order for them to be a clamp, they are tightened until they stretch and remain in their elastic deformation state. If you over tighten, they move out of elastic deformation into plastic deformation and the clamping force is lost to an extent. If you under tighten, they never get into elastic deformation and there isn't enough clamping force.

FYI, nearly every fastener on the TJ is operating in a slip critical application.

Two things contribute. One is under tightening, the other is over tightening. Bolts in this and all other slip critical applications function as clamps. In order for them to be a clamp, they are tightened until they stretch and remain in their elastic deformation state. If you over tighten, they move out of elastic deformation into plastic deformation and the clamping force is lost to an extent. If you under tighten, they never get into elastic deformation and there isn't enough clamping force.

FYI, nearly every fastener on the TJ is operating in a slip critical application.

So similar to a head bolt in many applications One time use to a specific torque.

So you are calling @mrblaine’s and curries product useless? There are many threads showing this to be beneficial.

A bit of a stretch there--I never said "Currie/savvy is useless". If my stock bolt is fine, then a new one is a waste of money. A bigger bolt and hole isn't going to solve anything if the clamping force isn't met.

A bit of a stretch there--I never said "Currie/savvy is useless". If my stock bolt is fine, then a new one is a waste of money. A bigger bolt and hole isn't going to solve anything if the clamping force isn't met.
Just to be clear I’m not in the bigger hole bigger bolt club. I was arguing for a stronger bolt to increase clamping force, and not increasing its size.

Reactions: tworley
Status
Not open for further replies.