Currie tie rod end

b0xcar

TJ Enthusiast
So I had issues with the driver side tie rod after the install. At first it wouldn't take grease. Had to tighten the zerk fitting and depressed the bead. It finally took grease. I don't think I over greased it but maybe I did??

I started hearing a little knocking and decided to check things out. This is what I found. It looks like the boot has collapsed. What are my options here in solving this issue?

20180120_160753.jpg

Don't worry about the boot, you can add grease without fear of overgreasing the joint. This is not like the OE tie rod end where the little thin grease boot can be popped by going crazy with the grease gun. Even if the boot does start leaking grease no worries, just grease it often enough to keep dirt & junk flushed out of the joint.

Reactions: Gollywomper and JMT
Alright. Got more grease in it and turned the steering wheel left and right several times. It's not holding the grease and leaking out on the brake side. Can't really see or feel but there must be a tear. Guess I will have to order a replacement boot.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I just installed the Currie steering setup today, and I can’t get any of the zerks to take any grease. Any tips on getting them lubed up?
Have you tried manually pushing the ball bearing to see if it moves. Could be jammed.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I was hoping for a solution that didn’t involve removing all the castle nuts, Greasing up, and then re installing. Curries instructions did mention you may have to move the joint around to get grease into them, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t say to grease it before installing. Would have been nice if they did.

Guess I’ll have to take them off one at a time and lube them up. :BangHead:

I’ve yet to have mine take grease over a 2 plus year period. Everything I’ve read says don’t force it in. I’ll climb under every oil change and try, and I’ve tried while a buddy cycles the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Jeeptrash
Don't worry about the boot, you can add grease without fear of overgreasing the joint. This is not like the OE tie rod end where the little thin grease boot can be popped by going crazy with the grease gun. Even if the boot does start leaking grease no worries, just grease it often enough to keep dirt & junk flushed out of the joint.
Hey @Jerry Bransford you wouldn’t happen to know what poly boot I could use to replace the rubber boots on the Currie currectlync CE-9701?

Hey @Jerry Bransford you wouldn’t happen to know what poly boot I could use to replace the rubber boots on the Currie currectlync CE-9701?
Sorry, I do not. The boots provided with my Currectlync were poly, if we're talking about the same boots. I'd call Currie's customer service and see what they say.

Take the joint loose from the knuckle and put the nut back on. Turn the joint with the nut until it will take grease then just re-installand you will be good to go.

Take the joint loose from the knuckle and put the nut back on. Turn the joint with the nut until it will take grease then just re-installand you will be good to go.
If it only were that simple.... I'm waiting to install the Currectlynk simply because I can't get the joints to take grease. 🤬