Custom Center Console

TreverStevens

Knows enough to be dangerous
Supporting Member
Who all has made a custom center console? Needing to do something for mine because I have to factory short console for my '97 but when I did my engine and trans swap my transmission moved up about 4". So looking for inspiration. I don't want it to look too "industrial" like a large metal box just sitting on the transmission tunnel and I have a Tuffy armrest console I've installed. Just needing something that goes from nearly touching the lower part of the dash back to the Tuffy box. Looking to integrate a couple cupholders into it. I have some skills with sheetmetal work and basic welding.

You don't need a new console but I have pictures of that if you want also. You cut your shifter and add a extension into it.

1604034943489.png

Let me know if you want the pictures of the custom console.

Reactions: Ephry73
You don't need a new console but I have pictures of that if you want also. You cut your shifter and add a extension into it.

View attachment 199787

Let me know if you want the pictures of the custom console.
Ya, I thought about adding a dog leg to the shifter and I did modify and bend the stock shifter a little to make it work. But my stock console only has one cup holder and the PO did a poor job of spray painting it, so I thought it would be a fun little project to build one myself.

1604089953625.png

@skrelnik Ya, I've seen a couple places that make various versions of what I'm looking to do, but just looking for more inspiration from others. The thing about the GenRight I don't like is it covers up the factory spot for switches. So mine might go a little lower than that. And cup holders are a must! I think I can put 2 between the front of the Tuffy box and the backside of the trans tunnel hole.

I got these pictures from someone else when I was going to try to build my own custom console. I gave in and bought a GenRight instead and am now a little lighter in the pocket book.

Center Console 3.jpg

Center Console 5.jpg

Center Console frame.jpg

I don't see why you couldn't build something similar for a manual trans.

Reactions: TreverStevens
Who all has made a custom center console? Needing to do something for mine because I have to factory short console for my '97 but when I did my engine and trans swap my transmission moved up about 4". So looking for inspiration. I don't want it to look too "industrial" like a large metal box just sitting on the transmission tunnel and I have a Tuffy armrest console I've installed. Just needing something that goes from nearly touching the lower part of the dash back to the Tuffy box. Looking to integrate a couple cupholders into it. I have some skills with sheetmetal work and basic welding.
Did you
Just saw this question even though a few months late.. did you get any helpful answers? I did a console and ammo can for my manual 03. I can post a few pics if you’re still looking

Did you

Just saw this question even though a few months late.. did you get any helpful answers? I did a console and ammo can for my manual 03. I can post a few pics if you’re still looking
Ya, I had to put my project on hold for a bit, so still deciding on what I'm going to do. If you don't mind taking some pictures that would be great.

Looks good! Did you just use the RV/boat cup holder option from Amazon or how did you do that?

Is this possible to do with limited equipment? This looks great and is exactly what I was looking for but It looks like some of the details may be hard to do without expensive equipment.

The OP started this 2 1/2 years ago, and might not be here anymore. However, it doesn't look too difficult if you have a bit of experience working sheet metal.