Custom Digital Jeep Body Angle Meter

vito2772

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to do a project like this for my TJ for so long and I'm so glad I finally did. I made a custom digital angle gauge that displays the pitch and roll of the jeeps body in real time. Below are some pictures and video of a funny startup animation I made along with it. Comments and Advice welcome as I plan on selling a few of these soon if anyone is interested.

(DON"T WORRY, I have black braided cable sleeves coming to cover the exposed cable in the picture. Out of frame, the wire is tucked under the windshield seal flap which hides it perfectly until it needs to come out as shown)

DSC03457.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to do a project like this for my TJ for so long and I'm so glad I finally did. I made a custom digital angle gauge that displays the pitch and roll of the jeeps body in real time. Below are some pictures and video of a funny startup animation I made along with it. Comments and Advice welcome as I plan on selling a few of these soon if anyone is interested.

(DON"T WORRY, I have black braided cable sleeves coming to cover the exposed cable in the picture. Out of frame, the wire is tucked under the windshield seal flap which hides it perfectly until it needs to come out as shown)

View attachment 194606

Thanks for looking!
neat! love the 90's animation. not like i need any more gadgets but i'm interested if the price is right ;)

I’d be happy with knowing what number not to hit.
I was thinking of adding a "max" that is set depending on the maximum value you hit on pitch and roll. For example, if the most you have ever flexed your jeep is 30 degrees of roll, if you approach that number it will flash red. If you surpass that number, it will hold a red warning and reset the value.

Again open to ideas!!

Reactions: Apparition
Cool tech but you're better off watching the terrain and paying attention to your line/position on the trail and watching the spotter than that gauge that will have your eyes pointing inside the cockpit instead of outside on the trail issue where they belong.

Not to mention there's no set angle when it's gonna roll, end-o, flop, etc. since there are too many variables that affect all that. Tire pressure, how the Jeep is loaded, if that rock you're putting a tire up onto is about to roll out from underneath you, the surface type, etc.

When flying I was always comfortable flying by instruments but I had more than one instructor tap the back of my head with something telling me to get my eyes back outside the cockpit where they belong. You're less likely to have an accident that way.

I was thinking of adding a "max" that is set depending on the maximum value you hit on pitch and roll. For example, if the most you have ever flexed your jeep is 30 degrees of roll, if you approach that number it will flash red. If you surpass that number, it will hold a red warning and reset the value.

Again open to ideas!!
Great idea

Cool tech but you're better off watching the terrain and paying attention to your line/position on the trail and watching the spotter than that gauge that will have your eyes pointing inside the cockpit instead of outside on the trail issue where they belong.

Not to mention there's no set angle when it's gonna roll, end-o, flop, etc. since there are too many variables that affect all that. Tire pressure, how the Jeep is loaded, if that rock you're putting a tire up onto is about to roll out from underneath you, the surface type, etc.

When flying I was always comfortable flying by instruments but I had more than one instructor tap the back of my head with something telling me to get my eyes back outside the cockpit where they belong. You're less likely to have an accident that way.
I completely agree. When driving your senses are the best gauges. This is more novelty than functional.

Any time you want to look at those tilt-o-meters to see how far the jeep is leaning is the exact same time you should be looking at the obstacle at you’re dealing with😎

Reactions: Chris
I like it and would be interested, as well. My nickname is Gadget.

Some of the "torque" or OBD II apps have roll/pitch built in, using the phones gps and compass functions.