Custom exhaust / cat removal (2006 TJ)

Roadhawg011

I'm tired of my TJ sounding like a whiney hair dryer. I need some growl.

Unfortunately I live in a far away land where off the shelf exhaust solutions for these don't exist, so I have to custom build at an exhaust shop.
But Fortunately, emissions laws don't exist here so I can do whatever the hell I want.

I have an 06 with the 2 small header cats and the one big one under the skidplate.

Options:
- Just cut out the big cat and replace with stock OD pipe. Will this add a little noise? Is it worthwhile?
- Cut out big cat and use bigger pipe either just in that section, or all the way back? Would need to replace the stock muffler I guess, and here I could add some growl I assume?
- Go mad and do the whole thing and use those cat-fooler/mini cats to replace the 2 header cats? I've heard the cat-foolers can be hit and miss, and I don't feel like a CEL, and I kinda don't want to do this anyway because I just want a little more noise, not chasing performance or anything.
Mileage is ~115k miles.....How long do those little header cats last? I've never had a CEL from them....but surely by now they must be getting clogged? I guess I'll have to deal with them at some stage.

Thoughts?

The cat removal will have very little impact on sound and zero impact on performance. Muffler will definitely change the sound and pipe size will have an impact as well. If sound is your only desired impact, changing things downstream of the last cat is all you need or want. Also, speaking from experience, you will have a definite increase in exhaust fuel stench with no cat. To the point where people will smell it on you later if you spend any significant time outside the vehicle while idling.

You can't get a bolt on cat back shipped out there to you?

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I'd put a '97 header on...Banks makes a good one...down pipe to a single 2.5" high flow CAT...I used a Magnaflow and custom made my pipe so it has a v band just inside the transmission skid for easy removal...and then I have a Hooker 2.5 inch stainless cat back exhaust.

You could still land all your O2 sensors and avoid check engine lights.

-Mac

I'd put a '97 header on...Banks makes a good one...down pipe to a single 2.5" high flow CAT...I used a Magnaflow and custom made my pipe so it has a v band just inside the transmission skid for easy removal...and then I have a Hooker 2.5 inch stainless cat back exhaust.

You could still land all your O2 sensors and avoid check engine lights.

-Mac

Hey post a pic of your setup please.

Reactions: macleanflood
My 97 setup

IMG20231130093449.jpg

IMG20231130093419.jpg

IMG20231130093435.jpg

IMG20231130093403.jpg

IMG20231130093328.jpg

-Mac

The cat removal will have very little impact on sound and zero impact on performance. Muffler will definitely change the sound and pipe size will have an impact as well. If sound is your only desired impact, changing things downstream of the last cat is all you need or want. Also, speaking from experience, you will have a definite increase in exhaust fuel stench with no cat. To the point where people will smell it on you later if you spend any significant time outside the vehicle while idling.

You can't get a bolt on cat back shipped out there to you?

Shipping and then tax and import duties make it prohibitively expensive.
Also weren't that many TJ's sold here (anything pre JK is pretty rare....I don't think I've ever seen a YJ on the road for instance) So very little shops bring stuff in for them.

I actually looked on Amazon here now...Initially Banks cat back around $265. With shipping and import duties it ends up being ~$540

I'll take it past an exhaust place and see what they can do. Problem is here most places deal with boy racers and they want to sell you an entire custom system from the motor to the tailpipe

Shipping and then tax and import duties make it prohibitively expensive.
Also weren't that many TJ's sold here (anything pre JK is pretty rare....I don't think I've ever seen a YJ on the road for instance) So very little shops bring stuff in for them.

I actually looked on Amazon here now...Initially Banks cat back around $265. With shipping and import duties it ends up being ~$540

I'll take it past an exhaust place and see what they can do. Problem is here most places deal with boy racers and they want to sell you an entire custom system from the motor to the tailpipe

if you get someone to weld you in aftermarket performance muffler, my recommendation is to opt for one with a longer case. Short cases are more likely to end on the loud side/drone. I have had good success with muffler case being in the 20” range having a good sound but easy on the ears at highway cruising speeds.