Custom rear bumper build

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So, after a lot of research in my local market, I didn't find any aftermarket rear bumpers that I was happy with. My choices were limited to Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge, Pro Comp, etc.

I need a rear bumper with recovery points, and I would love a hitch receiver as well (mostly to use as a recovery point as well, but also to tow something very small for a few miles)

I decided that since I don't find anything that makes me happy to spend a little more time to build a custom one.

After some research, I really liked some bumpers that "hug" the rear cross member (i.e. Next Venture, gatekeeperoffroad, etc.)

First step was to remove the stock bumper and take some measurements.

IMG_7879.jpg
IMG_7880.jpg

The second step was to design the bumper exactly how I want it in Autocad. Then, print it.

The third step was to create a "template" using wood (with the help of my uncle, who is a carpenter) in order to make sure that I like it, and that my design is fitting properly.

IMG_7890.jpg

IMG_7891.jpg

IMG_7892.jpg

I like the design so far. I will say, watch the weight, a lot of built bumpers tend to be over built and over weight.

Reactions: TJim
With that design you shouldn't have much of a problem with weight but yes, still something to keep in mind on projects like these.

Reactions: 1o1proof and TJim
I like the design so far. I will say, watch the weight, a lot of built bumpers tend to be over built and over weight.
With that design you shouldn't have much of a problem with weight but yes, still something to keep in mind on projects like these.
Thanks for the tip! I have the weight in mind, since I am trying to keep my TJ as light as possible.

Looking good. This is the way to get it done. Make your own is the Jeep way!

When you go to weld it up will you consult your friend, The Chemist? 🤓
Same friend will help for the cutting/welding/anything related to metal work.
He is a pro, so I want to be sure it is going to be properly built so I dont stress when I use it for recovery purposes!

This looks great, a lot like my NextVenture rear bumper plate. You got the good parts of the design down for sure, specifically wrapping the rear crossmember (which the GR doesn't).

Reactions: TJim and jjvw
This looks great, a lot like my NextVenture rear bumper plate. You got the good parts of the design down for sure, specifically wrapping the rear crossmember (which the GR doesn't).
Thanks a lot !

really looking forward to finish it and put it to work!

Reactions: rasband
Very cool. Hope this works out and I look forward to seeing the final product.
I hope too! Haha
Today, I left the final designs to the metallurgist. I hope the end results will be as I have imagined and capable enough for my needs!

I will post more photos as soon I have any more upgrades. I will 99.9% paint it black as well

Reactions: MichaelGH
Watch the wrap on the bottom. You can wrap where it bolts through to the frame, but you have to leave it open where the cross member is. That is where the fuel tank skid bolts down.

Also...I didn't hear anything from you after I sent that CAD file... Did it work out for you?

times two on the recovery tab going thru thru frame. They can be a little narrower too if you pass thru. I do like the shape though a little style and lots of weld surface.

I have not tackled my rear bumper yet, so I surface mounted with a wide weld area like yours. My front was a full build with narrow thru mounts.

IMG_0940_zpstkc5gy4c.jpg

IMG_0942_zpshkodedez.jpg

IMG_3678_zps5jpifybe.jpg

IMG_3685_zpsizdd0yki.jpg

Depending on what you do, I would favor this style - every little bit of clearance can count. Notice both the height and shape.

1621524696122.png

Depending on what you do, I would favor this style - every little bit of clearance can count. Notice both the height and shape.

View attachment 253675
Thats almost identical to my final design. Plus the hitch receiver in the middle instead of the logo! haha

I will gain a lot of clearance vs stock rear bumper for sure. I might measure the departure angle out of curiosity.

Reactions: matkal and rasband