Custom shifter levers for automatic transmission and transfer case

Bionic_Scorpion

TJ Enthusiast
I had seen several people who had purchased the custom transfer case shifter lever off Ebay and decided I liked the look of it. After finding out the guy no longer made them I figured I would build one myself. I picked up a piece of solid rod from Tractor Supply, turned the end down in the lathe and I threaded it M10x1.5. I then measured the length I wanted the shifter, mounted the rod in a vise, heated it with an oxy acetylene torch and bent it by hand until the bend matched the factory lever. I cut off the excess, mounted it in the mill and milled both sides flat to mimic the original handle. (the original looks to be pressed) I then mounted it in the jeep and installed the console to check the fitment. I saw it needed to be heated and bent 7 degrees to the left and 5 degrees forward to fit properly and not hit the back of the console when in 4 wheel low. After getting the fitment correct, I then drilled the two holes, sandblasted and painted it black. I ordered the knob from ebay and received it a few days later.

20200609_112239.jpg

After installing the new transfer case shifter lever, it didn't seem to fit with the auto tranny shifter so I decided to build one to match. I used a piece of 7075T6 solid aluminum rod and turned it on the lathe to slide over the tranny shifter. I measured the length for the shifter height I wanted and cut it to length. I drilled the hole in the top and tapped it M12x1.5 for the bolt that I cut the head off of that I picked up at Home Depot. I then turned the recess into the top to countersink the brass thread adapter on the knob so it wouldn't be seen. After test fitting everything, I sandblasted and painted the adapter black and installed it on the tranny lever. I purchased the knob on Amazon. It was actually kind of difficult to find a plain black knob that matched the transfer case knob. To shift gears, I just have to push down and put it in gear. It's spring loaded so it works great.

20200622_130604.jpg

20200622_130615.jpg

20200622_130541.jpg

20200622_130525.jpg

20200622_130512.jpg

20200622_130554.jpg

Planning on building a custom center console around the shifters/cupholders etc and I was thinking of something like this for the tcase shifter. Looks awesome

If you send me one, maybe I can come up with a solution for that. ;)

Or there's this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SWJRFRV/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Its designed that way, no solution needed. I allowed a few thousandths oversized to let it "float" so the spring can do its job.

I could have overcomplicated it and made it a 2 part piece with the bottom having a set screw and the top allowed to move up and down about 3/4" but for me its not necessary. The only way its coming off by itself is if I flip the jeep and if that happens I have more to worry about than the knob. lol

I had someone steal my Hurst T-handle (manual shift) one time.

People will steal anything, I don't believe a set screw will slow them down. Besides, at a glance it looks like a manual shift. They would have to reach in and grab it to see it can be removed. Not really a problem for me because my hardtop stay on most of the time.

Looks great! Now I have another project(y) I think I have an Eight ball laying around somewhere.....
Thank you for dragging this back up. I have a manual shifter and I use an antique glass doorknob as a shift knob. On my YJ's I had a matched pair since the shifters are both the same design, and I've always regretted that I couldn't do that on the TJ.
I have a friend who is an amateur machinist, and now I have a project for him next winter when I head back home for a couple of months.

I know this thread is a little dated, but @Bionic_Scorpion what would it cost me to have you duplicate the TC shifter rod?
I'm glad you like the shifter but I'm afraid I'm not interested in making any more. I'm not a machinist, I just own machines that I use for making parts as I need them. For the time it takes to make a one off part, it wouldn't be worth what I'd have to charge for it. I'm sure the guy who made and sold them on ebay batched them out to keep his costs down.

Reactions: TreverStevens