Customizing Android Headunits?

bedhed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Any of you guys who are running a Android headunit tried using a different launcher? I use Nova Launcher on my phone, so I downloaded it to try running it on the headunit, but it doesn't recognize many of the default apps.

Aside from that, do you have any "geeky" tech mods that you've done with yours?

IMG_20191217_161332026.jpg

no my AToto 6 Android head unit was very specific about do not try to customize or hack it,

as the factory experiences it will lock up the unit, make it a brick and they will not honor any warranties or replacements. Does everything I needed to do so I thought no reason to try.

Whatever you do don't change the screen resolution. I ruined one doing that. It made the screen run off the sides. And I could not get it back in running order without sending it back to a factory in China. YMMV.

Whatever you do don't change the screen resolution. I ruined one doing that. It made the screen run off the sides. And I could not get it back in running order without sending it back to a factory in China. YMMV.

Oh wow! Yeah, that sucks. Luckily that hadn't crossed my mind. I'll stay away from that. Everything works fine using Nova, it's just that it doesn't recognize those default apps, so the icons aren't there to tap on.

Recently I've been toying around with a clock widget, which is what started me down the Launcher rabbit hole. Since the entire notification bar is out of my view, I wanted to place one on the screen to see the time without having to nearly lean my head down onto the console lid to see the other one. Having a problem with that though. The "My town/location" time defaults to China. Finding my actual location in the one app that I've tried has been hit or miss. That was even a paid app, so that's disappointing.

I had really good luck with www.eincar.com I had a $140 double din unit in my Yukon that was awesome. My Jeep came with a marine grade Kenwood single din with a removable faceplate. So I'm sticking with that. Got new speakers for xmas though.

I had really good luck with www.eincar.com I had a $140 double din unit in my Yukon that was awesome. My Jeep came with a marine grade Kenwood single din with a removable faceplate. So I'm sticking with that. Got new speakers for xmas though.

First time seeing that brand. The one on the first row, top left looks to have the same setup as mine. I really really like it. I bought a single din Kenwood Exelon unit first. The built-in 30 band EQ and DSP was great, but the quality of the unit overall was terrible. The faceplate kept blacking out when I pressed the knob in. I sent it back to Crutchfield twice. The second time it returned, I sold it. Turned out that I wasn't the only one having that problem. Too many top name brands purchased in the recent past that had issues right out of the box, so I took a gamble on China (or cutting out the middle man, maybe? Idk). Unless things take a turn, I don't see me ever using anything different.

First time seeing that brand. The one on the first row, top left looks to have the same setup as mine. I really really like it. I bought a single din Kenwood Exelon unit first. The built-in 30 band EQ and DSP was great, but the quality of the unit overall was terrible. The faceplate kept blacking out when I pressed the knob in. I sent it back to Crutchfield twice. The second time it returned, I sold it. Turned out that I wasn't the only one having that problem. Too many top name brands purchased in the recent past that had issues right out of the box, so I took a gamble on China (or cutting out the middle man, maybe? Idk). Unless things take a turn, I don't see me ever using anything different.

Oh if I had a want for a double din in my Jeep I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from China. I think the same specs I got on mine for $140 were similar specs to a $1000 unit from Kenwood or Pioneer etc. etc. I simply don't have a thousand bucks to put into a stereo. My god the list of higher priorities would be a mile long. lol. ;)

Plus to be honest I'm not a music buyer or audiophile. But my music right now sucks. I can't here a thing at speed on the freeway. I'm hoping the speakers will at least accomplish being heard on the freeway. And it's not a lack of volume. I can crank it up really loud. But everything is so buried in noise. You can't really make out most of the music.

I've also got sound deadener to lay down. That I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't applied. That will improve things as well.

Reactions: bedhed
I used carhone ultimate on playstore for long time and liked it is simple to customize yet good flexibility on screen layout, cosmetic appearance run options and ability to pick specific app to run from tiles. Worked so well that I even paid for it. U can setup for different number of times per screen, integrate mapping, multi media, bluetooth, home button reprogram, etc. It use to be free to try with full functionality and just a few bucks to buy.

I switched to AToto 6 like Leinhit did and like it a lot too.

Glad he mentioned to not mess with their OS too much - I tend to hack most things electronic and don't often read the fine print ;) thanks

Oh if I had a want for a double din in my Jeep I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from China. I think the same specs I got on mine for $140 were similar specs to a $1000 unit from Kenwood or Pioneer etc. etc. I simply don't have a thousand bucks to put into a stereo. My god the list of higher priorities would be a mile long. lol. ;)

Plus to be honest I'm not a music buyer or audiophile. But my music right now sucks. I can't here a thing at speed on the freeway. I'm hoping the speakers will at least accomplish being heard on the freeway. And it's not a lack of volume. I can crank it up really loud. But everything is so buried in noise. You can't really make out most of the music.

I've also got sound deadener to lay down. That I'm embarrassed to say I still haven't applied. That will improve things as well.

I couldn't agree more. The app they have installed for audio adjustments exceeds many $500-$1000 units. It's looking like most come with time alignment these days, but 7 and 10-band equalizers seem to be the norm. The 20-band may be way overkill for some, but I really like the ability to fine tune the ear piercing high frequencies.

You already have some speakers on the way. But, just for future reference, as with the headunit topic, I've turned away from buying the average "top brand" speakers. Top brand isn't really the right word, but you know what I mean. I go through Parts Express to order speakers now. Going that route is far more rigorous, since it's best to look at the spec sheets for finding the right one to suit your setup. But, the results have been far more pleasing. Just like it has been with these Android headunits. When you mention the unheard brands and their much lower cost, it seems most people shrug it off. But, once again, I don't ever see me buying another set of "top brand" speakers ever again. Way too expensive to get a comparable sound, and they require too much power for someone not looking to NEED additional amplifiers.

I used carhone ultimate on playstore for long time and liked it is simple to customize yet good flexibility on screen layout, cosmetic appearance run options and ability to pick specific app to run from tiles. Worked so well that I even paid for it. U can setup for different number of times per screen, integrate mapping, multi media, bluetooth, home button reprogram, etc. It use to be free to try with full functionality and just a few bucks to buy.

I switched to AToto 6 like Leinhit did and like it a lot too.

Glad he mentioned to not mess with their OS too much - I tend to hack most things electronic and don't often read the fine print ;) thanks

Same here. I'm not quite as bad with modifying as I used to be, but the urge is still there. I'm going to check out carhone after I send this. The features sound really similar to Nova. Did carhone not recognize some of the default apps when you used it? Are you not using it now because of a different headunit?

It allowed me to include/link any app to a tile. Yes i stopped cause I switched to the other unit.
Sorry it is called carhome.

I've been fooling around with this a little more. Running Nova Launcher and a couple different minimalist icon packs right now.

IMG_20200119_102048052_HDR-01.jpeg

That's really nice!

I have an android unit in my truck, depending use I run various skins, apps like Kodi. I had been an active participant on xda. Mostly useless stuff that any today's smart phone does better....

Must say, that's a clean look.

I had originally posted the start of this in another thread, but I figured it would be better suited here.

Here's the link to the first post.
"What did you do to your TJ today?"

And now, I've finally gotten around to the commitment of painting the white rings. Knowing what I know now, I believe this would have been simpler to do from the start. Oh well, I'm pleased with it. It now has much more of the OE look that I was going for.

IMG_20200216_145951.jpg

IMG_20200216_131446-01.jpeg

PicsArt_02-16-02.55.45.jpg

Last edited:
That's really nice!

I have an android unit in my truck, depending use I run various skins, apps like Kodi. I had been an active participant on xda. Mostly useless stuff that any today's smart phone does better....

Must say, that's a clean look.
xda was always my port of call when i needed to ROOT

Reactions: DEValken
Not knocking the smart jeep at all, that's pretty bad ass...

But I bought an early TJ because of the simplicity. Not that it's a 1964 Belvedere or anything, but I enjoy (nostalgia maybe?) opening the hood and being able to actually see most of the engine...

And no, I don't want to go alllll the way back to hand-crank starters and corncobs - love my '13 F150 comforts...

Not knocking the smart jeep at all, that's pretty bad ass...

But I bought an early TJ because of the simplicity. Not that it's a 1964 Belvedere or anything, but I enjoy (nostalgia maybe?) opening the hood and being able to actually see most of the engine...

And no, I don't want to go alllll the way back to hand-crank starters and corncobs - love my '13 F150 comforts...
I totally agree it’s not something I would do either. The only thing I really want my stereo to do is play music and run satnav.
I wouldn’t mind hvac If It didn’t involve scrolling through menus just to switch on the AC.

Pretty much the same as what David said. Minus the comedy, it's too early for my brain to crank out anything that would match the 1964 Belvedere reference. I would never take it that far with mine, but my techie, gadget interest side can appreciate what he's done, that is pretty badass.

Those of you who didn't take the Xtron instruction manual straight to the trash, and did look through it, you know it's far from helpful. So, I spent 10 minutes or so looking into the use of it's micro SD/GPS slot. If I understood correctly, offline maps can be downloaded to the card. Have any of you used that function? If so, how is it, and where did you get your maps?