Cutting a peep-hole in the frame rails?

doktormane

TJ Enthusiast
I know this has been discussed over and over again but we all know that the Jeep's chassis likes to rust from the inside, especially around the rear lower control arms. While trying to deal with an issue I have with the clutch hydraulics I thought I'd feel around inside the chassis and to my utter disappointed I found out that the rust keeps getting worse to a point where a huge rust chip about 2-3mm thick just dislodged itself from the frame. Now, before you say anything I did try using plenty of Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating but I don't think it did a good enough job so now I am thinking about having someone use a plasma torch to cut a big enough square out of the side of the frame, on the side facing the transmission, big enough for me to either get that area media blasted or to just simply chisel it away and get to good metal so I can then use Fluid Film. I would finally have the plate taken off welded back on. Is that a dumb idea?

You shouldn't need to add more holes. Plus you can access the ends with the bumpers removed.
I have heard of using a snake or rod in a drill with chain links added on to knock the rust out.
Unfortunately, Eastwoods IFC is probably best for clean frames with little to no rust.
If it's really bad, you might try something like naval jelly.

edit - removing bumpers doesn't really help.

Last edited:
If it's rotting holes in the frame it may be wise to replace those sections that are bad. I doubt you'll do any good by cutting a hole in the frame to try to clean it up and re-coat it. Since you're going to be cutting and welding anyway might as well do it right.

YRMV

CAM00028.jpg

If it's rotting holes in the frame it may be wise to replace those sections that are bad. I doubt you'll do any good by cutting a hole in the frame to try to clean it up and re-coat it. Since you're going to be cutting and welding anyway might as well do it right.
It's known as Boxing.

I have a tendency to over-react so the frame is not rotten to the point of rust holes appearing on the outside but it is heading there. The photo posted above is a great example of what I would want to do. I need a hole like that for access and then the piece would be welded back on.

The frame isn't too far gone to require weld-in sections but I know that leaving it like this will leads to its demise.

The frame isn't too far gone to require weld-in sections but I know that leaving it like this will leads to its demise.
The drain cleaning tool like pics is all you need. plenty of holes to go into to get the job done,then drill your 4- 1/2 inch holes through the control arm mounts and rinse and repeat.coat inside with Eastwood and your done.