Cutting my hood for ARB compressor

yeah, I'm also still waiting for someone to say WHY its bad, instead of just saying its bad
Why? Rust, reinforcement, structural integrity, aesthetics, efficacy. The amount of corner you would have to remove to operate the slide collar on the quick disconnect would be really large for the size of the chuck. If you don't do something to put the edge back, it will crack the flat sheet metal from vibration. And without putting the edge back it is going to look like shit. You have to protect the metal from rusting or it won't take long to spread.

What you and our south of the border vegemite sucking mate overlooked in the false comparisons is each of those has a solution that covers, hides, protects, and or reinforces the cut sheet metal. To equate them as being the same as hacking off the corner of the hood is just ignorant for the sake of being ignorant.

Instead of simply asking questions all the time you might want to start making your own conclusions.

One way or another, he's asking for other's experiences and understandings with building these things. As long as what we offer is considered, it's still better to ask dumb questions that it is to do dumb things. I'm fine with it. We've all been there.

This one just suffers from a lack of ambition!
Maybe we can get him to build a quad-flat air octopus to go with mounted air chuck.

Quick thought question- what location for the air chuck would give you the ability to use the shortest hose possible and how long is that hose? Rough calculations in my head, I can do a TJ with a 6'-4 1/2" hose for a rig on 35's.

• Haha
Reactions: L J
Maybe we can get him to build a quad-flat air octopus to go with mounted air chuck.

Quick thought question- what location for the air chuck would give you the ability to use the shortest hose possible and how long is that hose? Rough calculations in my head, I can do a TJ with a 6'-4 1/2" hose for a rig on 35's.
I imagine something sticking down from the center skid and the Schrader valves relocated to the insides of the wheels. 3.5-4 feet of hose if you roll the tires to position the valves efficiently?

I imagine something sticking down from the center skid and the Schrader valves relocated to the insides of the wheels. 3.5-4 feet of hose is you roll the tires to position the valves efficiently?
A local guy here with a yj has something very similar. He runs the line down the center of the skid to a tee fitting which runs to the top of the frame rail on both sides with a 90 and a coupler.

Reactions: jjvw and mrblaine
I imagine something sticking down from the center skid and the Schrader valves relocated to the insides of the wheels. 3.5-4 feet of hose if you roll the tires to position the valves efficiently?
You're making it way too hard. One on each side, halfway between each tire, top of the frame. Protected, accessible, easy.

Reactions: Tob, Zorba and jjvw
True. We haven't had a snorkel thread in a while.
The XJ forums have that covered. :cool:
Snorkel xj.png

You're making it way too hard. One on each side, halfway between each tire, top of the frame. Protected, accessible, easy.
Just to push back on this solution, it works for you, but doesn’t work for all. That would be a terrible location for the terrain I experience.

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw
Just to push back on this solution, it works for you, but doesn’t work for all. That would be a terrible location for the terrain I experience.
Buried in mud? My version wouldn't work either.