Recommended D-rings?

Zhillslady

TJ Enthusiast
This may have been asked and answered but it's tax season and I'm to tired to read all the old posts on my break. With over time racking up I'd like to add a few things to my jeep. What I called tow hooks a local jeeple corrected me were D-rings. I have a stock bumper and a couple of questions. Please feel free to assume I know nothing about working on vehicles, cause you'd be correct.

Winch - before I order will my stock TJ and stock bumper hold the weight of a winch?

hooks - is this the correct mount for d-rings on the front bumper?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12014_75.htm

rear - would you recommend the d-ring that goes on the hitch mount?

This may have been asked and answered but it's tax season and I'm to tired to read all the old posts on my break. With over time racking up I'd like to add a few things to my jeep. What I called tow hooks a local jeeple corrected me were D-rings. I have a stock bumper and a couple of questions. Please feel free to assume I know nothing about working on vehicles, cause you'd be correct.

Winch - before I order will my stock TJ and stock bumper hold the weight of a winch?

The winch mounts to a plate that in turn mounts to the frame rails, not the bumper, although the bumper is sandwiched between the plate and rails. So the short answer is yes. Now to add to that you may get some sagging in the front with the added weight. To fix that there are several solutions that in themselves will cause some other effects, that will need some other corrections...................... Just Empty Every Pocket;)

I need to know what it is that you want to do with the hooks or ring? If just to hook a strap or occasional something to the front I would just use a hook that also mounts with 1/2 bolts to the front frame rails. In the front that is all I ever had.
In the rear I do use a tow receiver mounted D ring. In fact I just used that set up to pull several stumps out.
Good luck.

Reactions: Chris
Stinger I don't know that I "want" to do anything with them. A friend asked me to go on a jeep run in April and said make sure you add your hooks in the front in case you get stuck or need pulled out of something. So I guess that's pretty much all I'd ever use them for. Unfortunately I'm well familiar with the "just empty every pocket". Since October I've replaced dang near everything except the tranny and transfer case. Motor, differential, shocks, clutch, bearings, manifold, ignition, power steering, o2 sensors, water pump - heck the list is so long I can't remember half of the things. I'm sure I officially own the most expensive 97 wrangler in Florida. Especially after I add my bedrug, winch, hooks and I'm sure something else will come up. In fact I just added new door uppers and outside mirrors this month also.

Stinger I don't know that I "want" to do anything with them. A friend asked me to go on a jeep run in April and said make sure you add your hooks in the front in case you get stuck or need pulled out of something. So I guess that's pretty much all I'd ever use them for. Unfortunately I'm well familiar with the "just empty every pocket". Since October I've replaced dang near everything except the tranny and transfer case. Motor, differential, shocks, clutch, bearings, manifold, ignition, power steering, o2 sensors, water pump - heck the list is so long I can't remember half of the things. I'm sure I officially own the most expensive 97 wrangler in Florida. Especially after I add my bedrug, winch, hooks and I'm sure something else will come up. In fact I just added new door uppers and outside mirrors this month also.

Just put a hook on the front and a receiver mount in the rear. You'll be fine. D rings just rattle;) and in most cases are overkill. IMHO.

Thank you. Any recommended "hook"? And thanks to you both, I got enough rattles on George already. Mechanic offered to tighten up my exhaust so doesn't rattle when I down shift but I kinda like it.

Reactions: Bermudacat
Quadratec has plenty of them. Two mounting hole to accept 1/2 bolts.

Thank you. Any recommended "hook"? And thanks to you both, I got enough rattles on George already. Mechanic offered to tighten up my exhaust so doesn't rattle when I down shift but I kinda like it.
Pretty much any 4x4 store will have them. I even occasionally see them in standard auto parts stores.

Some tow hook kits sold in 4x4 stores come with the right bolts but not all do. If you end up needing to buy bolts, you need Grade 8 1/2"x13 bolts (and split-ring lock washers) that are 1" longer than the OE bolts that hold the bumpers on from the top. Just remove one of the OE bolts with a T-55 torx bit and measure it and make sure the replacement bolt you buy is about 1" longer since the tow hook mounting base is about 1" thick. Make sure the bolts are Grade 8, common bolts aren't strong enough. :)

Last edited:

If you would like the knowledge to help educate your misinformed jeeples, I can help with that. In fact most jeeple are highly misinformed when it comes to the correct terminology for recovery equipment.

What they refer to as a "D ring" is not a D nor a ring at all. The correct name is Bow Shackle or Anchor Shackle and they come in at least 3 styles, clevis pin, screw pin, and bolt pin. Most common style for our use is the screw pin style.

A bow shackle looks like this-

SPAS12_1_375.jpg

A chain shackle or D shackle looks like this-
SPCS12-D_1_375.jpg

A D-ring is an entirely different animal and looks like this and is typically used for straps and such in rigging, harness, belts, etc.
You can also find D-rings bolted or welded down to trailers and such for tie down points.

cp460_2.jpg

What you need is just a plain old tow hook that will mount on the front part of the frame where the front bumper bolts on.

They look like this-
3169-tow-hook-heavy-duty-w-safety-clip-8pc-chrome-finish-new_1_375.jpg

If you don't have a receiver hitch in the rear, you can find some factory rear tow hooks that bolt more correctly to the frame under the rear bumper and those will suffice to meet most trail requirements.

If you would like the knowledge to help educate your misinformed jeeples, I can help with that. In fact most jeeple are highly misinformed when it comes to the correct terminology for recovery equipment.

What they refer to as a "D ring" is not a D nor a ring at all. The correct name is Bow Shackle or Anchor Shackle and they come in at least 3 styles, clevis pin, screw pin, and bolt pin. Most common style for our use is the screw pin style.

A bow shackle looks like this-

View attachment 3303

A chain shackle or D shackle looks like this- View attachment 3304

A D-ring is an entirely different animal and looks like this and is typically used for straps and such in rigging, harness, belts, etc.
You can also find D-rings bolted or welded down to trailers and such for tie down points.

View attachment 3305

What you need is just a plain old tow hook that will mount on the front part of the frame where the front bumper bolts on.

They look like this-
View attachment 3306

If you don't have a receiver hitch in the rear, you can find some factory rear tow hooks that bolt more correctly to the frame under the rear bumper and those will suffice to meet most trail requirements.

Awesome - I'm going to use this terminology so I sound smarter. LOL. Seriously thank you. Good to know and I do have a hitch receiver on back of jeep