Daily Driver Dilemma

Shank

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Considering getting rid of my current daily:

Background: I drive 25-30 miles a day total. I currently drive a fwd GM sedan. My wife's parents gifted it to her. She drives my Yukon Denali (funny how that trade worked :rolleyes:).

Car books about $5k. Since her parents bought it barely used, they have complained about a front end vibration (about 100k miles ago). Car has 133k miles. I have replaced rotors twice, turned once, calipers, brake hoses, 3 wheel bearings all on the front, 1 new axle shaft, new struts, new shocks. I can hide the vibration from anywhere between 500 and 5000 miles, but it always comes back. It is back again and frankly it pisses me off. I'm driving my LJ and Duramax to work likely for the foreseeable future to avoid the annoyance. I have also taken this to a shop once or twice and get "yeah we see what you're saying but all we could do is replace parts" - yeah I've been doing that.

Body is starting to rust some, I have oil sprayed it, it's not at jeopardy of rusting out, but I don't like rust.

I am considering offing it and picking up something with 4wd (I have called off in the past on a snowy day because my Duramax or LJ will not see the salt). I really don't have a huge preference to what. Ideally, $10k or so, 100k miles. Considering an early 2000's 1500 regular cab truck. Work truck is fine. I don't mind occasionally having to work on something and feel confident doing about any work on a vehicle (though I really don't feel like rebuilding a motor or something on a daily driver). Stipulation is it has to ride pretty decent.

I can go out and buy something brand new, but the fact is I don't want payments.

If you had to look for something fitting that description, what would you look at? I know the budget is low, but I also know prices are really coming down.

When Jeep is not the answer then it’s a Miata! Drop top, good on gas, dead nuts reliable. Its the only car I have had that is smaller than the Jeep though.

seriously how is the AWD car market near you. Everyone from Toyota to Chrysler has some variant of awd car platform that would be decent on gas. Not mention Subaru/ Mercedes 4 matic. if fwd Is really no big deal. I have had a couple of the gm Buick/olds grandma car variants that had the 3.3/3.8. v-6. Sweet on fuel mileage and power - weren’t to hard to find lots easy/low mileage examples.

Reactions: srimes
When Jeep is not the answer then it’s a Miata! Drop top, good on gas, dead nuts reliable. Its the only car I have had that is smaller than the Jeep though.

seriously how is the AWD car market near you. Everyone from Toyota to Chrysler has some variant of awd car platform that would be decent on gas. Not mention Subaru/ Mercedes 4 matic. if fwd Is really no big deal. I have had a couple of the gm Buick/olds grandma car variants that had the 3.3/3.8. v-6. Sweet on fuel mileage and power - weren’t to hard to find lots easy/low mileage examples.

AWD car could be consideration. I have kind of steered clear of AWD cars - my sister in law's chrysler had a bunch of problems with awd, my buddy's subaru blew head gaskets at 100k miles.

I do like the old 3800 GM motors, but I feel that may be a near lateral move. I am currently in a G6 with a 3500.

Reason for looking at trucks/suv's is I feel more comfortable servicing a 4.8 in a half ton than I do a Subaru engine, but also I really don't need another truck (have a 2500hd and a Yukon XL, don't really have truck needs).

How about an XJ?

I've thought about it. I drove my LJ to work today and it's not my absolute favorite daily driver, I'm not sure how much better (or worse) an XJ would be. I had an XJ in high school and liked it but barely remember how it drove.

I've thought about it. I drove my LJ to work today and it's not my absolute favorite daily driver, I'm not sure how much better (or worse) an XJ would be. I had an XJ in high school and liked it but barely remember how it drove.

I guess an old grand cherokee would also work

We have our fun vehicles (2003 TJ, 2014 BRZ) and a 2016 F150 for recreational trailer hauling and other duties. The TJ and BRZ don't see salted winter roads. For years we have leased a new Subaru AWD Imprezza mainly as our winter vehicle. Warranty eliminates worries about reliability and unexpected repairs and maintenance that come with our other older vehicles. Lease for 3 years, turn it back in and grab another. I know you said you didn't want payments, however, you have $5K from the GM sedan and another $10K you are willing to spend on a used daily driver, that money will go a long way offsetting all the lease payments. You get a nice new AWD no worries vehicle thats great for the winter months, and a backup as well when something goes wrong, as it always does, with the older owned vehicles.

Reactions: Shank
my buddy's subaru blew head gaskets at 100k miles.

Our new 05 Forester was fully maintained and cared for and jumped thru it's ass at 58,000 miles. The 04 TJ that replaced it in 2011 had 63,000 miles and has been flawless for 12 years and an additional 82,000 miles , ( 4.0 , 5 spd. , D-44 3.73 ) . No More Subaru kool-aid for us !

Reactions: Shank and LJBean
Our new 05 Forester was fully maintained and cared for and jumped thru it's ass at 58,000 miles. The 04 TJ that replaced it in 2011 had 63,000 miles and has been flawless for 12 years and an additional 82,000 miles , ( 4.0 , 5 spd. , D-44 3.73 ) . No More Subaru kool-aid for us !

That's why we lease Subaru's new and only for 3 years and then lease another new one. Any issues like that and warranty looks after it. For us we have not experienced the issues others describe. Typically put about 45,000 miles on during 3 year lease period.

Reactions: ColoJeep and Shank
That's why we lease Subaru's new and only for 3 years and then lease another new one. Any issues like that and warranty looks after it. For us we have not experienced the issues others describe. Typically put about 45,000 miles on during 3 year lease period.

The cost per mile made our decision to buy a second TJ ( totally stock ) easy. The Subi worked until it didn't , but I never enjoy driving it .

For a commuter car, I would focus on reliability and high gas mileage. Like a Toyota Corrolla or Honda Civic.

I rented a full size Toyota Camry for a work trip and averaged over 40 mpg. I drove from Omaha to McAlester Oklahoma on one tank of gas.

I had a full sized Hyundai for another trip and it got 43 mpg on the highway. My kid had a 2011 Hyhndai Elantra and averages around 32-35 mpg depending on city/hwy.

If the weather sucks bad enough you need 4wd, you probably should stay home or take the Jeep and wash it.

For a commuter car, I would focus on reliability and high gas mileage. Like a Toyota Corrolla or Honda Civic.

I rented a full size Toyota Camry for a work trip and averaged over 40 mpg. I drove from Omaha to McAlester Oklahoma on one tank of gas.

I had a full sized Hyundai for another trip and it got 43 mpg on the highway. My kid had a 2011 Hyhndai Elantra and averages around 32-35 mpg depending on city/hwy.

If the weather sucks bad enough you need 4wd, you probably should stay home or take the Jeep and wash it.

It is a consideration, or carpool with my wife.

Something like a Ford Maverick would be a decent commuter with 4WD/AWD whatever they have. Can't get one though.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes you can ! ... Oh never mind. :unsure:
View attachment 429663

Ford Mavericks came out in the spring of 1969, which is when I got my licence. A small plaza opened in our part of town and they gave away a new one as a promo. It looked just like the one in this pic, although I think this one has been repainted a bit darker than the original colour. In order to win it you had to be there to present your ticket. Half the town was there and it was total chaos. They probably spent the rest of the day sweeping up the losing tickets.

Needless to say I didn't win it and had to stick it out for a few years in my 61 VW Bug, also green. The poor woman who won it was pestered for years. She couldn't go anywhere without people reminding her of that day and wanting to see the car. She eventually sold it, moved or maybe even drove it off a cliff.

Reactions: ColoJeep and Shank
An earlier model WK GC or Cherokee with the 4.0L might be good options. Most likely you won't have to worry about serious engine problems.

I think the Grand Cherokee WKs (2005-2010) are either at or close to the low end of the price they're ever going to be. Parts are surprisingly inexpensive and there is also a LOT of them in the junk yards.

I have a fully loaded 2005 Limited with the 5.7 litre hemi engine. The early ones are known to have some cylinder head issues but they can also go on for a long time. At 235,___ km mine seems to be fine. The other engines (4.7 and 3.7) are said to have some issues but it's like anything ... there are good ones out there. Overall, they are a nice car. GCs with a 4.0 litre engine are pretty much what you would expect with a TJ/LJ/XJ, and that's good.

I drove this car for the first time since this post, man do I hate it.

It feels like the worst out of balance tire ever. Maybe I take them in and see if one really is out....