Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

I've asked Discount Tire to add a note to the file to leave them at 26 psi. So far, they've done so each time without me asking again. Might be worth a try if you haven't already.
No luck on that. I've had to sign waivers. It's easier just to drain them in the parking lot. Which was a good thing today. I needed to fill the spare and discovered that a fitting on the York had failed. Better to have found that now rather than at the end of a trail.

One interesting thing is that now with the mid arms, DT needs to use four floor jack to lift the Jeep rather than their lift.

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: derekmac
Why they think our jeeps need 40 psi in our tires is beyond me!
Liability, I think. The door panel says one thing and they don't want to be accused of under inflation, so they add a bit more. Then we come along and request some seemingly ridiculously low psi.

2003 Rubicon

California passed a law some years back where every auto repair shop has to inflate the tires to the spec on the door jamb. It is supposed to be listed on the work order that it was done. It was under the guise of fuel savings.

Reactions: JMT
Over-inflated tires is a hypermiling technique to decrease rolling resistance. But it makes me wonder how much that would shorten the life of the tires and at what cost?

I've been experimenting with tire pressure the past week in an effort to determine side effects of my current harmonic conundrum, and notice different levels of drivability. Try going from 26 psi, to 35 psi and take a drive.

I should give tire pressure another try now that I have decent shocks. The Duratracs were good at 28ish. I run the Coopers at 26 because of the stiffer side wall. I've never been into the 30's.

Gotta fix the York first, cause I am not paying quarters for my air!

Did you notice any issues with the OE shocks mounts using lower rear relocation brackets?

Did you notice any issues with the OE shocks mounts using lower rear relocation brackets?
No issues. As long as the shocks don't over compress, I wouldn't expect any problems. The key is to stay within the travel created by the bump stops which were set to keep the tires out of the fenders.

2003 Rubicon

Reactions: Serbonze
Found this insignificant trivia again in an old thread on Wrangler Forum.

2003 Wrangler Rubicon
10,875 produced for the US.
409 were painted Sienna Pearlcoat

Dying to know: Do you have any idea how this location got its name? There's got to be a story in there, somewhere!

There is a Republican Mountain nearby. Not sure how they got their names.

Hmmm...have to see what I can find. Thanks. Fantastic build/journey thread! Fascinating to follow along. Thank you for sharing so many great ideas. Purpose-built, for sure!

Thanks! Sometimes I wonder if I strayed from the original intent. I did tell people early on that I wasn't going to modify it and I did believe myself!

For what it is, I think it looks quiet and understated. The Jeep still is my daily driver!

Reactions: matkal
Thanks! Sometimes I wonder if I strayed from the original intent. I did tell people early on that I wasn't going to modify it and I did believe myself!

For what it is, I think it looks quiet and understated. The Jeep still is my daily driver!
It's one of my favorites. Everything you've done has a point and purpose, and you put it through its paces on a regular basis, from what I see. For a rookie like myself, it's educational and inspirational, all at once. Thoroughly enjoyable read, my friend. Thanks again for sharing it!

I'll be on the road over the next several weeks for work.

Still need to fix the York. A flare fitting going to the manifold failed. I fixed it but I needed to loosen another flare further down the line to do it. Now that one leaks and requires to much disassembly to get a wrench in and tighten. Once I'm closer to flying home, I will order a set of crow's foot wrenches to reach in and seal the new leak.

TEKTON 2580 3/8-Inch Drive Crowfoot Wrench Set, Metric, 10 mm - 24 mm, 10-Piece
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPR2BC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

2003 Rubicon

Last edited:
I agree with squatch here. This has been a great read, and it aligns with a lot of what my gut and mind tell me. This is new to me... Suspension design anyway. It's nice to read threads like yours and Blaine's that cuts through a lot of the BS out there. I know enough to mostly separate fact from fiction, and you sir, preach the truth.

Reactions: PRNDL and Squatch
... I know enough to mostly separate fact from fiction, and you sir, preach the truth.

Thanks. Trust me when I say there are plenty of gaps and room for improvement in my grasp of all of this. Blaine is on an entirely different level of understanding and refinement. I just try to do my best to copy what the experts are doing.

2003 Rubicon

Thanks. Trust me when I say there are plenty of gaps and room for improvement in my grasp of all of this. Blaine is on an entirely different level of understanding and refinement. I just try to do my best to copy what the experts are doing.

2003 Rubicon
Blaine is on another level from anyone I've encountered. You're on a level higher than most guys I talk to. Most of my Wheeling is done with friends who don't really know much, and on the web. I appreciate any info you can pass on

Reactions: ScottCO
One of the things I really enjoy is the way you share the information with others. You explain things well enough that one doesn't have to be some mechanical engineer to understand it, and you don't talk down to people. You have no idea how much easier it is to digest information when it's presented in such a manner. And your travel pics are great, as well. Good on ya, my friend!

Last edited: