Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

If the regear reuses the factory locker, then thick cut is required.

If the new carrier reuses the existing thick cut gears, then the smaller carrier is required.

If both the gears and carrier are new, then standard cut gears with the appropriate carrier can be used.

My thick cut rear gears will be a legacy of the Rubicon locker. Someday when I replace the front with an ARB, I hope it will be along with a full 5.13 regear, in which case the front will get the rd116 with standard gears and the rear would get thick cut gears. Confusing? :)

Clear as unchanged tcase oil 😆

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw and Wildman
@jjvw hope you don't mind me asking .. what's the extent of the damage from the flop? Nothing major I hope. And when did you start to notice the diff issue ?

@jjvw hope you don't mind me asking .. what's the extent of the damage from the flop? Nothing major I hope. And when did you start to notice the diff issue ?

Forgot all about that after the locker died!

Just minor deformation to the front MCE flare. I'll take a heat gun to it soon. What happened is exactly what I hoped would happen by wanting flare coverage and having it be flexible.

The diff started making cracking noises on the way down from the trail. I stopped several times looking for something loose, broken or bent. In the parking area, we figured out it was in the diff. Then I called Blaine to get his thoughts on what we found and about driving 100 miles home. We talked it through and determined it was most likely the LSD breaking apart. Neither of us are aware of a failing Rubicon LSD locking up the rear. After a quick stop at a friend's nearby garage to clean out what we could, I decided to go for it.

Last edited:
We're you trying something different than the normal line or did he start you off over there? That V notch has changed a lot over the years. Looks a lot easier now if you want it to be.

He started me high on the passenger side and kept me there past the first larger section of the V. If you look at the tracks, everyone else looks to have turned off about 4 feet earlier.

He started me high on the passenger side and kept me there past the first larger section of the V. If you look at the tracks, everyone else looks to have turned off about 4 feet earlier.

That V used to be deep and all granite... Everything is filled in with dirt now... Must be the picture then.

20200621_151734.jpg

ARB went in yesterday. We figured out how to run the copper line through the old factory locker sensor hole. Same size and thread as the ARB bulkhead fitting--1/4" NPT. The new banjo bolt made things really easy. No need to touch the Savvy truss.
20200621_164126.jpg

Last edited:
The original plan was to plumb this into the York. Last night, while pulling out the factory wire and hose I was adding up parts cost and effort. Also, the ARB solenoid valve uses BSP thread rather than NPT. Adapting the thread and doing it cleanly just felt difficult. The whole idea began to feel like another endless nickel and dime project. So, I decided to get the little ARB locker compressor with all the additional plumbing and wiring. Amazon had an open box for a good discount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P919D4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I should have this finally finished by the weekend.

Driving last night and today was a relief. No noise or sounds!

I'm trying to decide if I am imagining this or not. Can I tell that I don't have an LSD anymore? The Jeep feels slightly more free on the road. When the rear is locked, the Jeep wants to push straight. Did the old LSD have enough push to be noticable on the street? If this is real, it is very subtle.

Driving last night and today was a relief. No noise or sounds!

I'm trying to decide if I am imagining this or not. Can I tell that I don't have an LSD anymore? The Jeep feels slightly more free on the road. When the rear is locked, the Jeep wants to push straight. Did the old LSD have enough push to be noticable on the street? If this is real, it is very subtle.

I notice the LSD mostly in tire squeals - especially when needing to pull out somewhat quickly. I'm sure it will be different, but you're welcome to side-by-side the rubi LSD when I get my CKS fixed this week.

Reactions: jjvw
The little compressor has gone up in price. When I picked mine up I want to say it was around $130. Where are you going to put it?