Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

i decided to mount mine up there too. but i'm gonna make a small aluminum shelf to bring it up beside the booster that pocket is kinda tight.
i have some left over yellow tape from a gas line fix at the house, i was gonna try that.

The original plan was to plumb this into the York. Last night, while pulling out the factory wire and hose I was adding up parts cost and effort. Also, the ARB solenoid valve uses BSP thread rather than NPT. Adapting the thread and doing it cleanly just felt difficult. The whole idea began to feel like another endless nickel and dime project. So, I decided to get the little ARB locker compressor with all the additional plumbing and wiring. Amazon had an open box for a good discount.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P919D4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I should have this finally finished by the weekend.

I know you have already bought the ARB compressor but this is what I ended up using to have it plumbed into my OBA system. So if for some reason you decide to connect to your York here's a easy way.

https://powertank.com/products/power-tank-to-arb-manifold-install-kit?variant=12793060098092

Reactions: TJ Starting
i decided to mount mine up there too. but i'm gonna make a small aluminum shelf to bring it up beside the booster that pocket is kinda tight.
i have some left over yellow tape from a gas line fix at the house, i was gonna try that.

I use the yellow gas line tape most often. I've had good luck with it.

Reactions: Wildman
The PowerTank kit has spots for the BSP threads. It gets everything in a nice small package especially if you are running 2 ARB lockers.

Ah! That would help a bit with the threads. I'm still going to keep the lockers on a separate air system.

Reactions: Wildman
I had issues with my ARB compressor which is what made me switch to this kit.
Counterpoint to that is my ARB compressor has been in use on my rig longer than both OX and ORO have been in business. I use and install the small ARB compressor often. I wouldn't do that if they were in the least problematical or unreliable. I've probably got 3 for my personal use stashed on the shelf for various projects.

I've also never been up close and personal with any York system that didn't fail at some point in JV and that's more than a few.

• Wow
Reactions: jjvw and Apparition
I use the yellow gas line tape most often. I've had good luck with it.
What I strongly dislike about the pastes is you can't turn a fitting after it has been installed awhile without removing it and starting over with new paste. I never have an issue with tape and I've done 100's upon 100's of connections with it.

What I strongly dislike about the pastes is you can't turn a fitting after it has been installed awhile without removing it and starting over with new paste. I never have an issue with tape and I've done 100's upon 100's of connections with it.

You ever have an ARB locker that sometimes requires a few revolutions to stop leaking? Half the time when locking up my front the pump keeps turning on to keep pressure until I'm a little bit down the trail. I've tested it in the garage and it'll hold pressure and stay locked all night.

You ever have an ARB locker that sometimes requires a few revolutions to stop leaking? Half the time when locking up my front the pump keeps turning on to keep pressure until I'm a little bit down the trail. I've tested it in the garage and it'll hold pressure and stay locked all night.
Not very often. Heard of it, I would suspect some faulty o-rings that need some love though. Next time you lock the front, get the tires turned so differentiation is faster and see if that helps.

Reactions: toximus
My last pressure switch leaked constantly, I put on various brands of tfe tape. Finally got a paste with a new pressure switch and it holds air for days.
That strongly points to a less than full understanding of how to apply the tape. It has to be wrapped tight and in the direction so that when you are threading the fitting in, that would wrap the tape tighter. It also takes from 1 to 3 wraps depending on the tape thickness. Kat snagged some from the Dollar store because she knows I use it. It is almost thin enough to read a newspaper through. Several wraps and it works perfectly. I've done at least 40 cooler installs with it in the driveway and never have a leak.

Reactions: tworley and rasband
I've always understood the tape to be a lubricant vs the actual sealant. NPT thread are interference type threads, so, the tighter you get them, the better they seal. The corollary to that is if they are not tight enough, they won't seal at all. Applying tape reduces the friction of installing the threads, making it easier to get the joint tight enough to seal.

@mrblaine you seem to be a master of all threaded connections...can you validate or repudiate the above? I don't know if that is an old internet myth or factual.

I've also heard not to use tape on air line fittings, because it can come loose and get trapped in downstream fittings, manifolds, cylinders, etc. I believe that to be a rule some big corporation came up with to prevent lazy, careless, pipefitters (not that all pipefittters are careless and/or lazy) from screwing up expensive automation. That rule was taken as gospel and became something its not. I've applied a LOT of teflon tape to my own fittings and airtools, and never once have I found tape downstream or had a piece of tape get into any of my tools.