Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

I really like what you've done with the switches. The "Plan B" and "Zombie Lights" switches are a hoot! Very nice set-up. :thumbsup:

In this neck of the woods, A/C is not really needed. I'd be willing to lose the A/C to obtain a dash that doesn't make me feel like I'm piloting a minivan. That being said, I do not want to destroy the potential resale value of the vehicle. While I am not a fan of the YJ's headlights, I've decided that sometime in the near future, I think I'd like to pick up a YJ for a daily driver. Simpler under the hood, no airbags, parallel leaf spring suspension (nostalgia, baby!), and I like the interior much, much better than the TJ. So while I will investigate switching out the TJ dash to something different, it'll likely never come to fruition.

Reactions: ac_
Not sure if I posted this earlier. This is my dad's cj5 dash with all of his extras from years ago.
0f8633562a5996392911735b494c53eb.jpg

Here's my project for the night.

I bought a pair of GraBars. The late-TJ windshield trim needs a large hole cut into it for them to fit. I didn't want to buy the hole saw, but I do have the smaller early TJ trim and sun visors. This was the obvious solution in my world...

Did you know that the early visor is longer than the late visor?
a9070e4fee5ea03c866fc791890fe508.jpg
ad31f49af1376d8df4ebbe6a8c5e23ec.jpg
0235193c6fa0a7a79fa6af930b697ef3.jpg
52fb7e8f99a70c9db69023b46f50d7da.jpg
f209d3d44cffd6e6efc3b94ce49cf5c2.jpg

0460dc3ea2784acb89903673a976b4a7.jpg

Last edited:
If you have seen Doug DeMuro's review of the TJ on YouTube, he made fun of and appreciated the lack of inner trim work that still existed on a 90's vehicle. Jeep sort of fixed that in 2003. I just unfixed it, so my Jeep now looks a bit older and more primitive than it used to. I like that.

Reactions: Squatch
I really like what you've done with the switches. The "Plan B" and "Zombie Lights" switches are a hoot! Very nice set-up. :thumbsup:

In this neck of the woods, A/C is not really needed. I'd be willing to lose the A/C to obtain a dash that doesn't make me feel like I'm piloting a minivan. That being said, I do not want to destroy the potential resale value of the vehicle. While I am not a fan of the YJ's headlights, I've decided that sometime in the near future, I think I'd like to pick up a YJ for a daily driver. Simpler under the hood, no airbags, parallel leaf spring suspension (nostalgia, baby!), and I like the interior much, much better than the TJ. So while I will investigate switching out the TJ dash to something different, it'll likely never come to fruition.

I don't think you will lower the resale value. I think more people would think that is cooler than you think as long as you are certain you don't need or want AC. If I wasn't dependent and you did all of the work I would jump on it.

I don't think you will lower the resale value. I think more people would think that is cooler than you think as long as you are certain you don't need or want AC. If I wasn't dependent and you did all of the work I would jump on it.
Hmmm...that's interesting. I just figured most people are quite accepting of the dash, because...well...it's a TJ. I've seen dash transplants in other vehicles where it is just beautiful, and some where it is a total hack job. The latter would be completely detrimental to the rig's value, for certain. Nobody wants that!

Hmmm...that's interesting. I just figured most people are quite accepting of the dash, because...well...it's a TJ. I've seen dash transplants in other vehicles where it is just beautiful, and some where it is a total hack job. The latter would be completely detrimental to the rig's value, for certain. Nobody wants that!
You have to decide how committed you are to your art! If you build it the way you like you don't worry about the resale value, If you are building it to re-sell it then you need to be more conservative, But if you put a CJ dash in it and it is quality and you can get a feature in a magazine then get a copy of the magazine and keep that fresh, then make a Youtube video then it will be priceless and you can ask what you want.

I have recently looking at videos where this guy fabricated a fiberglass Cj front end on his LJ and it was really cool. I have been trying to see if that is available. I think it would be really cool. I have also been considering some old flat fenders that look like an old cj2a. I would so put a CJ dash in mine if I didn't depend on AC.

BTW you can remove the airbags out of the TJ.

Here is my dad's '78 CJ-5. It's been parked for over 15 years in Minnesota. He wants to get it going again and bring it out to Colorado for another off road trip.

It normally has 35s on it, but those were long rotted and wouldn't hold air. AMC 390 V8, Dana 44s front and rear, Dana 300, some unusual Ford T-19 transmission with an extremely low 1st gear, front and rear winches. It was a good build for its day and it has many unique parts and modifications. He wants to clean it up and make some improvments.
View attachment 36260
Stripping and cleaning while I was back home recently.
View attachment 36261

Found the overall shot.

You have to decide how committed you are to your art! If you build it the way you like you don't worry about the resale value, If you are building it to re-sell it then you need to be more conservative, But if you put a CJ dash in it and it is quality and you can get a feature in a magazine then get a copy of the magazine and keep that fresh, then make a Youtube video then it will be priceless and you can ask what you want.

I have recently looking at videos where this guy fabricated a fiberglass Cj front end on his LJ and it was really cool. I have been trying to see if that is available. I think it would be really cool. I have also been considering some old flat fenders that look like an old cj2a. I would so put a CJ dash in mine if I didn't depend on AC.

BTW you can remove the airbags out of the TJ.
Good points, all. And I've seen the fiberglass CJ front end videos, as well. The man has talent, that's for sure. I think if I was going to go all-out on a TJ build, a stretched wheelbase TJ-based pickup would be cool (seen it before), or a stretched wheelbase panel/sedan delivery style would be unusual.

And yes, @jjvw, I too apologize for the hijacking. Just got carried away with your whole notion of maybe wanting our TJs to look a little more primitive than they actually are. Sorry, brother.

Reactions: ac_
The current project is to make a new transfer case cross member. The previous one was too low and bulky.

You can see the Ford t19 with the PTO output for the rear winch.
81fc956c38030c214ae2eb81d80d174d.jpg
9c17174bd94997f783f281ba0bc02e34.jpg

Last edited: