Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Lots of cold, wind and snow today. So I went out sightseeing in the blizzard. The MTRs are just ok on slippery streets. They pull straight ahead fairly well, but I found them pretty easy to get out of control with too much speed if the snow was several inches deep. The good news is that when I had the Patagonias out in the snow last spring, it took far less to get similar bad behavior.

Past tires behaved better. Though I wonder how much of that was the tire and how much was the factory LSD that I no longer have with the rear ARB.

Lots of cold, wind and snow today. So I went out sightseeing in the blizzard. The MTRs are just ok on slippery streets. They pull straight ahead fairly well, but I found them pretty easy to get out of control with too much speed if the snow was several inches deep. The good news is that when I had the Patagonias out in the snow last spring, it took far less to get similar bad behavior.

Past tires behaved better. Though I wonder how much of that was the tire and how much was the factory LSD that I no longer have with the rear ARB.

I'm going to guess a good portion of it is the tire. I've driven my friend's truck with MTRs in the rain and the difference between that and my XJ with KO2s is night and day.

Reactions: jjvw
I notice the tail end will kick out easily when downshifting on ice, the front also likes to stay straight during a turn, though that could be the baldness of my tires at this point.

Reactions: Wildman
The drive in this morning on the snow packed highways was fine. I tried tossing the Jeep around on the side streets a bit and that was sufficiently predictable. Yesterday in the soft powder was when it was bad.

The drive in this morning on the snow packed highways was fine. I tried tossing the Jeep around on the side streets a bit and that was sufficiently predictable. Yesterday in the soft powder was when it was bad.
Now you’re just rubbing it in, JJ...

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw and Wildman
How much movement is too much on the front t case output? I can shake the yoke about 1/64" side to side with a noticable click.

The Jeep has a small harmonic that starts around 50mph all the way to 80mph. And I can hear/feel a very light tick faster than wheel rotation as I come to a stop. I removed the front shaft on Friday afternoon. The harmonic is gone. The driveshaft seems tight. And the tick is gone.

Right now, I'm thinking transfer case rebuild. 160k miles.

@jjvw what's the "winter project"? 🤔

A few things. From last to first...

I want to try and fit the 12" RR Foxes I bought earlier this year in the front. We'll see what this turns into because there are good reasons why wiser people than me only do 11s.

I don't want to do that until I have a Vanco BBK installed so I can make sure the larger caliper clears the new lower shock mount.

I can't place the lower shock mount until I know where the front axle will end up.

I'm too stubborn to do a highline so that my front tires will clear the rear fender wall at full flex, full lock. So instead, I want to push the front axle as far forward as I can by moving the frame side track bar mount forward.

This small front stretch requires that I shift the lower spring seats and shock mounts backwards on the axle to bring them back into alignment with the uppers.

The big winter project is a series of miserable time consuming little projects that are all contingent on the success of the previous miserable time consuming little project.

Last edited:
A few things. From last to first...

I want to try and fit the 12" RR Foxes I bought earlier this year in the front. We'll see what this turns into because there are good reasons why wiser people than me only do 11s.

I don't want to do that until I have a Vanco big brake kit installed so I can make sure the larger caliper clears the new lower shock mount.

I can't place the lower shock mount until I know where the front axle will end up.

I'm too stubborn to do a highline so that my front tires will clear the rear fender wall at full flex, full lock. So instead, I want to push the front axle as far forward as I can by moving the frame side track bar mount forward.

This small front stretch requires that I shift the lower spring seats and shock mounts backwards on the axle to bring them back into alignment with the uppers.

The big winter project is a series of miserable time consuming little projects that are all contingent on the success of the previous miserable time consuming little project.
My guess is you're going to have some insane droop with the 12" shocks and stock fenders. Can't wait to see the progress.

My guess is you're going to have some insane droop with the 12" shocks and stock fenders. Can't wait to see the progress.

I'll be aiming for 6" up 6" down, or as close to that as I can get. Barring a miracle, the uppers will protrude a little bit above the inner fender.

Reactions: Alex01
Now that I think about it I believe my 11's are set up with a 6"up 5" down bias so you're probably going to be fine. I don't have stock fenders so I have no idea how far they will need to go up.

Now that I think about it I believe my 11's are set up with a 6"up 5" down bias so you're probably going to be fine. I don't have stock fenders so I have no idea how far they will need to go up.
Your hood line is the same as mine is. The issue with 12s is that they are 2" longer compressed and 3" longer extended than 11s are. That extra 3" needs to fit somewhere and the lower end can only go so low next to the control arm mount.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Your hood line is the same as mine is. The issue with 12s is that they are 2" longer compressed and 3" longer extended than 11s are. That extra 3" needs to fit somewhere and the lower end can only go so low next to the control arm mount.
My mount got fairly close to my OEM airbox so 3" longer and you'll surely be into it. Good thing you have a super cool Windstar one. I have no doubt you'll figure out a way to make it work and work well.

are you gonna construct the new mount as needed or do you have something in mind? if the shock will top out through the fender the mount will too.
making room for something like a hoop is a bitch and kills way more inner fender space, that's why i went with a tower.