Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

And here is how the bumps line up now.
View attachment 228117

This is why I had been thinking about moving the axle side spring seats backwards on the tube. But now I think the the plan is to move the frame side forward. The work is much easier since I am removing most of the shock mount anyway. And I can't see any interference issues by doing so. Maybe I can even improved the packaging a bit. We shall see!

If you move the upper spring/shock mounts forward just be careful about how much you move them forward or you'll have to cut the last hole off the arms on your SwayLoc. My using the TNT rotation/stretch kit moved the bar forward enough that I don't have to trim the arms but I'd at first thought I was going to have to.

Reactions: jjvw
The FOX 985-24-072 Steering Stabilizer arrived today and I took it for a drive on the freeway and around town a bit tonight. It is noticably stiffer than the Monroe. And the gas charge is no where near as heavy as a Fox shock. The body is about the same as the OME, but the shaft length is less than the Monroe. Though the stroke seems to be exactly as much as is needed for the TJ steering, so care needs to be taken when installing on Currie/RockJock steering to make sure the tie rod bracket is in the right spot.
20210222_193231.jpg

Where driving is concerned, things are interesting. I think this is an exercise in compromise. Normal straight driving is quite a bit calmer on our rutted highways and rough roads, with less steering input from the street. This is exactly what I was looking for.

The compromise is that turning the steering wheel is physically harder. Not difficult, but I can see where some would not want this. I don't have an opinion yet, except that I do like what is happening where handling is concerned.

And an interesting observation with the track bar brace after two days driving it. The steering feels tighter and more responsive. I did not expect this, but it makes sense that bracing it would prevent the frame mount from flexing on the frame as much. This isn't at all a big change, but it is there. And it's nice. Little by little, the Jeep is driving more and more like a sports car.

Reactions: HornedToad
My Fox steering stabilizer doesn’t force my steering wheel to the side at all. Cannot even tell that it has a bias one way or the other. Steering is a bit more stiff than the Monroe I had on there. I like that personally...

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
My Fox steering stabilizer doesn’t force my steering wheel to the side at all. Cannot even tell that it has a bias one way or the other. Steering is a bit more stiff than the Monroe I had on there. I like that personally...

Mine doesn't seem to push the steering either. I'm not sure how it could in any perceivable way. I wonder if something changed with the Fox or if people have been saying this without any experience.

Reactions: MichaelGH
Mine doesn't seem to push the steering either. I'm not sure how it could in any perceivable way. I wonder if something changed with the Fox or if people have been saying this without any experience.
We've tested a few by loosening our grip on the steering wheel and the drift to one side was fairly enthusiastic.

As many times as I have read people stating that the Fox stabilizer pushed their steering to the side I have to think it’s been read and repeated with no first hand experience by most. At least I don’t have any problems in that capacity. Maybe the pressure was reduced at some point. Mine is only a little over a year old...

This is full bump. It's tight. There is very light contact in a couple spots.
View attachment 228111

The good news is that at full stuff, full lock, I can still spin the tire by hand at street pressure.
View attachment 228112

This means I can now install the front Foxes with a good chance of getting a near 50/50 split. That is what I was hoping for with all of this work.
JJ - did you flex it at full articulation? If that’s full bump on both sides, you’d be well into the fender if you dropped the other side to full droop. Hopefully that’s an articulation shot.

I drove home with a light touch and often letting go of the steering wheel. I can't perceive any push to the driver's side from the Fox damper. Any wandering one way or the other is from the road itself.

In your opinion is the Fox worth the added cost over the Monroe? Any regrets?
Right now, no regrets. I like it and I expect to leave it installed. The increased effort to steer has either faded away now that the damper is broken in or I just don't notice it anymore a day later.

Whether or not I would encourage others to spend 6x more on a damper? It isn't 6x nicer than the $25 Monroe is. The Fox is a little bit nicer. However one quantifies that. So, if a small incremental improvement is worth it and you notice these things, then yes get one. But it isn't going to dramatically transform anything all by itself. Just don't waste money on an OME damper.

Last edited:
Reactions: J R and Vasq
Here's a really unhelpful comparison. The improvement the Fox damper made over the Monroe is comparable to what adding the track bar brace did.

Reactions: J R