Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

I have a quick job and then a meeting in Aspen tomorrow morning. So, I decided to take the slower, more direct way from Denver. This is a short spur off of Mosquito Pass.
8a13a7f39f76b5ee99b4dec5622ed570.jpg
6fb9596bc20e6c21cea81d27a1b03a06.jpg
9d647b7f61110c2a549c97f591f2f575.jpg

These are better than those forklift pics I've been posting recently.

For now, yes. The Foxes were used and far too good to pass up when I needed new shocks all around.

Ahhh, so you'll put Fox shocks in the front eventually?

My Fox 2.0s on my old Rubicon didn't rice as nicely as my Ranchos (they were more stiff), but they certainly looked better as far as cosmetics go. I wonder if the reservoir Fox shocks ride any better?

Ahhh, so you'll put Fox shocks in the front eventually?

My Fox 2.0s on my old Rubicon didn't rice as nicely as my Ranchos (they were more stiff), but they certainly looked better as far as cosmetics go. I wonder if the reservoir Fox shocks ride any better?
I'm hoping to eventually put 12" Foxes in the front. But for now, the Ranchos are cheap and seem to be really nice.

The rear Foxes have a generic TJ tune from AllTech and they have compression adjustors. I think I have them on the second softest setting. The do seem to ride very well.

Once both ends are done, I either want to get all four tuned or learn how to do it myself. I know the valving for the rear and can at least copy that up front.

Reactions: Chris
Regarding the Ranchos in the front, they are 10.75" travel. The upper mounts have been raised enough so that I didn't need to add any bump stop for the compressed shock. Meaning the point at which the tire hits sheet metal and the shock reaching compression occur at the same spot at the end of the travel. The shock travel, tire size and bump stops are in phase with each other.

This is precisely why I'm considering the MCEs if I move up to 35s. I don't want to add any more bump stop just to keep the larger tires out of the fenders. For the same reasons, the rear wheel opening will also need to be opened up a bit, but that is easier to achieve than it is in the front.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
I don't disagree. :)

A tire change is a ways off, if it ever happens.

I came home over Hagerman Pass, Basalt to Leadville. This was the very first off road trail I drove about 8 years ago, in a Chevy Blazer. Hagerman is an old railroad grade that winds it's way through the mountains. Parts are very smooth dirt with long sweeping turns on high shelf roads. It's a lot of fun to drive with a bit of speed. I also got to explore several of the long spurs and loops that branch off of the main road, some of which lead to very secluded mountain lakes.

Agreed. Looking at pics and seeing all the wheel travel and how level it stays shows it is set up really well.
You are seeing my argument for why the sway bars should be just stiff enough to not limit the available articulation.

Jjvw how has the engine performed overall in terms of problems with parts breaking or engine sensors wearing out on your 03 ?
So far...
Spark plugs - 60k and 110k
Thermostat - 80k
Fan clutch - 90k
O2 sensors - 100k
Serpentine belt - 100k
Fuel pump - 100k (likely not needed)
Cats - 110k
Radiator - popped at 120k
Water pump - replaced with rad (likely not needed)

The rest has all been routine fluid changes. I probably ought to replace the radiator hoses.

It's been a very reliable engine that has never left me stranded. I have done all the work myself. When the radiator popped, I patched it until I could replace it a few days later. Then there was that weird engine cutout, that I think was a loose o2 sensor.

So far...
Spark plugs - 60k and 110k
Thermostat - 80k
Fan clutch - 90k
O2 sensors - 100k
Serpentine belt - 100k
Fuel pump - 100k (likely not needed)
Cats - 110k
Radiator - popped at 120k
Water pump - replaced with rad (likely not needed)

The rest has all been routine fluid changes. I probably ought to replace the radiator hoses.

It's been a very reliable engine that has never left me stranded. I have done all the work myself. When the radiator popped, I patched it until I could replace it a few days later. Then there was that weird engine cutout, that I think was a loose o2 sensor.
Was just curious, I can tell you do lots of PM too so that's a other reason it's reliable. :)

Reactions: jjvw