Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

I have a helper visiting from Chicago for a project this week. Today we finished a bit early so we drove up to Argentine Pass high above Georgetown. This was his first Jeep ride and his first time standing on top of a mountain at 13,500ft.

e6fb4f377d5872258ba14ce92d5af96d.jpg

9965aa8432e228b5f2d90de15e3ee0a5.jpg

I have a helper visiting from Chicago for a project this week. Today we finished a bit early so we drove up to Argentine Pass high above Georgetown. This was his first Jeep ride and his first time standing on top of a mountain at 13,500ft.

View attachment 50737
View attachment 50747

What is the seasons that these trails are open? CO is on my list to hit if you ever want to meet up.

A lot of trails around here close about Nov and cannot be accessed again until late spring/mid summer once the snow melts.

Holy shit!!! How have I not seen this thread before!!

Godamn, I've been so inspired by all the clever mods you have going on. Currently, I'm very budget-restrained on what I can do right now, but you have a lot of really great improvements going on that don't rely on just buying expensive parts. I also love how pragmatic that you've been with your upgrades. Mega thanks for sharing all that you've done here.

Hey, got a question for ya regarding your Antirock. Has it made much of a difference in terms of traction when off-road? If so, has it made you any less reliant on locking your dif during tough spots?

Hey, got a question for ya regarding your Antirock. Has it made much of a difference in terms of traction when off-road? If so, has it made you any less reliant on locking your dif during tough spots?
I can't answer that easily, since the AR went on pretty early on. I do know that it gave me some courage to go places I maybe wouldn't have otherwise, because of the stability it provides compared to being disconnected. As a result, I use the lockers more often because the trail might actually require them.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
@jjvw I just finished reading this entire thread. Amazing photos and documentation. I really really really enjoyed seeing all those shots high up on the mountains (and the horses and the goats too!). You have a fantastic build and really nice TJR that most certainly goes everywhere. Great job man.

Reactions: jjvw
I'm going to suggest not buying a Nate's 4x4 rear tire carrier.
View attachment 51702View attachment 51703

Tire carriers always seem like a hit or miss thing. They are either engineered well or they aren't. Man am I happy that I ended up getting an OR-Fab carrier only weeks before they closed down and stopped making them. Even though OR-Fab is back now, they still don't make a TJ version. Hopefully they start making them again!

Reactions: JMT
I'm waiting for my smittybuilt to do something similar. I may even pull the carrier for fear of something worse. Id like to go with a dirtworx for my next one I think, or exogate

I miss having a shop. The plan was to reconfigure the tire mount because I always thought it projected too far out from the main body of the carrier. Turns out I was right to be concerned.

I'm headed down to Mike's tomorrow afternoon to borrow his welder and make a quick fix on it.

While I'm there, maybe I can finally pull the rear cover and look at the locker before Holy Cross on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hale and tworley
I'm headed down to Mike's tomorrow afternoon to borrow his welder and make a quick fix on it.

While I'm there, maybe I can finally pull the rear cover and at the locker before Holy Cross on Sunday.

I'm going to try and head to the u pull and pay for a new diff cover, I got a good dent in mine from the wall at Spring Creek

Reactions: jjvw