Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

The auxiliary cooler is fully plumbed. And the first drive happened tonight! It was a quick 15 minute run around in the cold without doors or windows. Everything seems to working as it ought to. The transmission temp stayed right at about 110°F.

4.88 is barely ok with 35s. 55ish mph was running about 1800rpm. It's hard to believe this was the common recommendation for so many years. Thankfully the new OD off button works! This definitely needs a regear to 5.38 sometime soon.

Overall, it's a very different Jeep with the automatic. It sounds different. It even starts up differently. The urge to shift after 8 years is very strong.

Eaton lockers and 5.89s :sneaky:

Would be 3000 @ 75.

Reactions: pc1p and JMT
The auxiliary cooler is fully plumbed. And the first drive happened tonight! It was a quick 15 minute run around in the cold without doors or windows. Everything seems to working as it ought to. The transmission temp stayed right at about 110°F.

4.88 is barely ok with 35s. 55ish mph was running about 1800rpm. It's hard to believe this was the common recommendation for so many years. Thankfully the new OD off button works! This definitely needs a regear to 5.38 sometime soon.

Overall, it's a very different Jeep with the automatic. It sounds different. It even starts up differently. The urge to shift after 8 years is very strong.

Congratulations! I’m still a little bit away from first drive, but not far.

I noticed the start up too. Cranks longers, right? I thought maybe it was because I had my computer reprogrammed, new map sensor, etc. but it sounds like both you and @rasband have noticed a difference.

Reactions: tworley
Congratulations! I’m still a little bit away from first drive, but not far.

I noticed the start up too. Cranks longers, right? I thought maybe it was because I had my computer reprogrammed, new map sensor, etc. but it sounds like both you and @rasband have noticed a difference.

Mine fires up a tiny bit quicker and the starter has a different sound to it.

5.89s would be tempting if I was ok replacing the rear ARB.

Haven't made it to the highway yet. But with OD off, 60mph is about 3krpm

Kinda sucks there is no 5.89 option for the rubi lockers. They did the 5.13 and 5.38 at once, too bad they didn’t include the 5.89 in there.

I've got some wiring to clean up and have been looking for one that is small, sealed, and looks like it belongs. The only one I've seen thus far that looks okay, with 7 studs, is from Texas Industrial Electric Company. Their website sucks, but here it is:

[URL]https://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/_junction_blocks.asp[/URL]

View attachment 399866

JB7-C
7 - #10 Stud Covered Water Resistant Junction Block

These Studs are Insulated from each other.
With Nut & Lock Washer
Corrosion Resistant
Molded Cover & Housing
(5) Terminal Openings
L= 8.059in / 204.7mm, W=3.201in / 81.3mm, H=2.250in / 57.1mm
$33.50 ea.

That looks like a pretty standard junction use on semi trailers that you can get at any truck parts store for $20 or less.

Reactions: JMT and Daryl
Would it make sense to swap to a larger MOPAR PDC?

574FA527-3E92-4805-BD30-1533567C6773.jpeg

https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com...nt-power-power-distribution-center-68322377ad~

The solution for those of us who deal with this all the time is something that looks like it belongs there, comes in various sizes so you can wire up a few things and then have a couple of spots left in case a few other things need to be added. I would never do a larger PDC for several reasons but someone may opt to in a personal rig. I already don't have enough real estate for the standard PDC, a bigger one would just be a nightmare for us.

Reactions: DrDmoney
The first highway drive was pleasently uneventful. The only thing to report is that 4.88 at 70-75mph is clearly too tall of a gear with overdrive, and a bit too low of a gear without.

Around town at slower speeds, the 42rle drives noticably nicer with OD off. It won't be long before I'm in the habit of turning it off as soon as I shift out of park.

Hopefully this summer I can get 5.38s installed.

For those wondering why I was interested in switching to an automatic transmission, this video is an example of the level of control and precision that is possible thanks to the torque converter. Notice the lack of wheel spin and the finesse all throughout the climb. All accomplished through careful throttle control.

For those wondering why I was interested in switching to an automatic transmission, this video is an example of the level of control and precision that is possible thanks to the torque converter. Notice the lack of wheel spin and the finesse all throughout the climb. All accomplished through careful throttle control.

View attachment 400173

I think the guy standing at rear passenger helped push it up.

You may know, but there's a way to re-wire so that when shifting from P to D the OD turns off.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wiring-the-42rle-overdrive-for-off-by-default.48856/