Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Everytime I jump in the driver's seat, I still reach over to a shifter that isn't there to give it a bump to check if the transmission is in neutral.

You ever go to push in the clutch when you come to a stop? I do it all the time when i drive my pops auto tj

Short of a couple loose ends to finish up, the Jeep has hydro assist steering now!
20230518_191639.jpg

20230518_191934.jpg

There isn't much detail on my install. Everything to know is in this thread...

Thread 'PSC Hydro-Assist Installation Instructions (Using Black Magic Kit)' https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ion-instructions-using-black-magic-kit.46340/

Two things were specific to mine being a late TJ with the Mercedes/ZF steering gear and the Savvy mid arm.
The PSC steering gear is their version of the older Saginaw gear. I needed to acquire an early TJ lower steering shaft to replace my longer one.
20230507_123412.jpg

And because of the Savvy mid arm stiffener on the long axle tube, I needed to build a mount off of it as part of the BMB nearly bolt on install kit's reenforcement to the steering damper mount that becomes the assist cylinder mount.
20230507_094636.jpg

I also needed to move the cruise control servo to the firewall in order to make room for the PSC remote reservoir. The emissions bits that were attached to the servo mount were relocated near where they originated on the inner fender.

Beyond that, this is the BMB kit with the PSC kit and a few special Blaine details.

Last edited:
I haven't made it onto the highway yet. But around town, the steering is very nice. This is replacing a ~20k mile old stock ZF steering gear and pump. That alone did a lot to tighten up the original 185k mile stuff. But this PSC steering is another level beyond that. My input into the steering wheel is very direct and responsive. Elsewhere, we read Blaine's caution of people believing their new steering is twitchy. It isn't twitchy. It is tight and responsive. If your previous steering was worn out, you have developed habits to compensate for the loose and vague steering.

This looseness goes away with the new steering and now your old habits and responses to your expectations of the road are making you drive twitchy and eradically. Fortunately, I knew this going in and made sure to relax and focus on just pointing where I wanted to go. It's an odd experience that will take a bit of time to retrain myself. This is a much calmer and controlled driving experience.

With that in mind, the Jeep holds it's line on the street much better than before. Potholes and manhole covers have far less effect on how the Jeep tracks. Making turns feels very consistent and predictable. Blaine's recipe for the steering gear makes it slightly heavier feeling than stock, which feels really nice. And so far, useful input from the road seems quite perceivable.

The assist cylinder is invisible. I am unable to tell that it is there, other than knowing that it is there doing what it does.

I'm really looking forward to both the highway and the trails!

No idea. I got the one I got and don't know if it is unusually short or not.

The short one is roughly 7.25" they didn't have it on the website when I did mine but when I called they said they still make them.

You're going to wonder why you didn't do it sooner the first time you see rocks. Hell, even on the highway it's way better than stock.

Reactions: jjvw and L J
Is adding hose clamps the new "approved" method?

Last edited:
Are adding hose clamps the new "approved" method?

We use Oetiker clamps on at least the suction side to slow down the possibility of the pump sucking in air. It is rare that it happens and I only do it due to Tom recommending it but I would not call it a requirement. Just a little extra.

Reactions: Alex01
Finally got the Jeep on the highway with the new steering. It is fantastic at 80mph. Everything is very calm and responsive. Ruts and imperfections in the road no longer direct where the Jeep goes. Potholes are far less jarring. I just direct the Jeep where I want it to go and there isn't any compensation for looseness in the steering. Because there isn't any looseness.

This is one of those significant improvements in drivability comparable to tuned shocks, the SwayLoc and even the automatic. All of these individually have made the Jeep pleasant to drive. Everything together is adding up into something very nice.

Now I need to get the tires balanced and the axles regeared to 5.38, so I can really enjoy the highway!

Last edited:
Finally got the Jeep on the highway with the new steering. It is fantastic at 80mph. Everything is very calm and responsive. Ruts and imperfections in the road no longer direct where the Jeep goes. Potholes are far less jarring. I just direct the Jeep where I want it to go and there isn't any compensation for looseness in the steering. Because there isn't any looseness.

This is one of those significant improvements in drivability comparable to tuned shocks, the SwayLoc and even the automatic. All of these individually have made the Jeep pleasant to drive. Everything together is adding up into something very nice.

Now I need to get the tires balanced and the axles regeared to 5.38, so I can really enjoy the highway!
Wow.. A TJ that drives well at 85..😬
You sir have built a unicorn ,congrats.
unicorn GIF by Ice Breakers

• Love
Reactions: Alex01 and jjvw