Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

@toximus, these are really neat. Thanks @Garza!
d21b3cb55a4973d84bb0a492152efa1a.jpg

I share the same desire.

I got a good compliment the other day from the guy who changed my tires (an older fellow in his 60s). He said, "Wow, when I first saw your Jeep I thought it was just stock with some bigger tires and a lift. When I looked underneath it I was blown away."

That made me feel good, since it's kind of what I'm going for. I want to retain as much of the stock appearance as possible, but still have it be as functional as it can be.

My favorite compliment was the guy who argued that I had a CJ-7. My homemade side mirrors really confused him.

Reactions: Chris
You got some too! Awesome! I think 2 is the magic number to carry for 95% of recovery situations. For the remaining 5% somebody else better be around to help who will have more. As soon as the carbon fiber snatch blocks are back in stock I need one.
No you don't. Those were only designed so when you and your buddies are sitting around the camp fire telling tall tales and they start bragging about their cool shit, you can "yeah, but do you have a carbon fiber snatch block?". Only reason they exist.

Reactions: rasband
No you don't. Those were only designed so when you and your buddies are sitting around the camp fire telling tall tales and they start bragging about their cool shit, you can "yeah, but do you have a carbon fiber snatch block?". Only reason they exist.

Isn't that the entire point to jeeping? Just kidding.

Weren't they rated the same as the aluminum, slightly lighter, and only a few dollars more? From a "I like this color" standpoint I can understand the extra expense. At least until you end up with a splinter.

What are your views on the aluminum version?

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
The carbon fiber snatch blocks aren't faster? :)
4e3a17ff583887bb9b974a1703676a55.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't that the entire point to jeeping? Just kidding.

Weren't they rated the same as the aluminum, slightly lighter, and only a few dollars more? From a "I like this color" standpoint I can understand the extra expense. At least until you end up with a splinter.

What are your views on the aluminum version?
Should be rated higher since the load is on the soft shackle and not the body of the block.

I like the aluminum version a bunch.

June 2013
The day I bought it.
View attachment 33971 View attachment 33972
2003 Rubicon
57,000 miles
100% stock except for a filthy K&N air filter, nerf bars and nearly worn out 265/75r16 BFG KO. A factory Goodyear MTR was still mounted as the spare. Within the week I learned about K&N filters and immediately bought a paper filter. Thanks Jerry!

Here is the original window sticker.
View attachment 33976
I believe this was originally a lawyer's Jeep with all the available options at the time. I am also fairly certain that the Jeep had rarely left pavement before it's time with me. Which one exception, the body and underside were pristine.

This was kind of an impulse buy after another car I was looking at fell through. Growing up in the 80's/90's, my dad had built up a 1976 CJ-5 and was involved in the Minnesota Go 4 Wheelers. I always found the building, the exploring and the driving to be more fun than the club events. That was something that stuck with me long after time passed and other interests came and went. After moving to Colorado many years ago, I had occasionally driven some of easier backroads roads and always really enjoyed finding other ways to get from here to there that don't involve pavement. I wanted to be able to do that more.

My new Jeep was about to be my daily driver that would allow me to see what was at the end of that road.
https://tinyurl.com/y7pdaoeq
16MPG that makes me giggle.

Reactions: jjvw