Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Downtown Phoenix near the convention center
Couple places for food/drink within walking distance:
— Cibo (wood fired pizza)
— Angel's Trumpet Ale House
— Pizzeria Bianco (supposedly world famous)
— The Arrogant Butcher

Reactions: jjvw
And if you do go to Camelback Mountain, stop by OHSO afterward for some brisket mac and cheese with a local beer. Tough to beat!

The new shock spherical bearings arrived and are installed. The Foxes are gas charged and take more arm strength to compress than I have, so I tied them up at ride height with some 5/16" Dyneema rope I acquired a spool of years ago. The bearings are held in with a circlip on either side and are knocked out with a 18mm socket. Reassembly is the reverse.

11c8b148515f7e7e99e87222e04a85df.jpg

a2bf40bac6aaf277eb62f0618754abec.jpg

The improvement is pretty significant. Most of the rattles and clunks that have crept up in recent months appear to have disappeared. All I can hear now is my poorly installed exhaust rattling around on bigger hits.

I need to fix that and the worn Antirock links and the Jeep will be really tight and quiet again.

Last edited:
March 2015

It is time to revisit the ammo can wheel well storage containers.

The Tuffy boxes have their hinge on the long side. And the lid opens to the outside of the body.
View attachment 34701

There is good reason for this. It is far easier to access the boxes from more positions in and around the Jeep with the lid this way.

WWII/Korea era 50.cal ammo cans also have their hinge on the long side.
View attachment 34702

The 2" space for the soft top frame to sit inside, just like Tuffy.
View attachment 34696
View attachment 34694

Proof that the rear seat fits.
View attachment 34697
View attachment 34695
The ammo cans sit a little taller than Tuffy does. But that means more space. And it is more usable space.
View attachment 34700

The best part is that the older cans have bullets and old timey cartoon bombs embossed on them!
View attachment 34699

Cool note on this Emblem, The US Air Force uses this for the munitions AFSC.Their call is I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S (If you ain't ammo you ain't shit!)

Brand new rod ends for the Antirock links!

QA1-CFR8SZ
QA1-CFL8SZ
The old joints had about 40k miles on them and were quite loose and sloppy. As happened recently with the rebuilt shock eyes, the Jeep is now a little quieter and tighter than it was before. It's nice. Every bit helps!

These new joints are greasable. Hopefully that is a good thing. I also added about an 1.5" of length.

That's a lot of wires!

A backup camera would be a welcome addition, that's for sure. Especially with a large spare tire.

Reactions: tomtaylz
You should see the rats nest stuck to the tire carrier. And I managed to temporarily get power the camera and monitor by stuffing the leads into existing nearby plugs. I'll clean it up most of the way this weekend.

I also want to see what the camera is like underneath the tire. That may be too low, though.

Something I noticed while making a couple parallel parks with the camera tonight was how little I use the rear view mirror because I can't really see anything useful. It's all side mirrors.

The Jeep gets used in the city a fair amount and I'm always a little paranoid about accidently backing into the parked car behind me. Mostly because I know how much damage I can cause compared to a normal vehicle.

Something I noticed while making a couple parallel parks with the camera tonight was how little I use the rear view mirror because I can't really see anything useful. It's all side mirrors.

The Jeep gets used in the city a fair amount and I'm always a little paranoid about accidently backing into the parked car behind me. Mostly because I know how much damage I can cause compared to a normal vehicle.

I am now renting a parking spot but I used to parallel my Jeep on a hill, it was quite challenging.

I'm still super paranoid with parallel parking the Jeep for the same reason. I love how easy it turns but I always worry I'm going to cause too much damage if I hit someone. It's less worry with the top down in the summer at least.

Another backyard driveshaft rebuild. I need to pick up new bolts and straps from 4WP. Once this is reinstalled, I'll have this job down to a little over 2 hours.

20190228_170454.jpg