Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Blaine do yo have any pictures of one you have done? Would like to see how your end caps look.
Thanks
I have a version that I have done that no one else will or should do.
DSC_3065.JPG

If you care to see how interesting, go look at the tank under a TJ and see how close the top of it is to the side of the tub.

I've looked before but can't say how well I remember it now. But like I said your innovation and skills are great. I like looking at the projects you have done and I'm sure I miss half the mods because I just don't see them until they are pointed out.

Yes you do Blaine which is one of the reasons I enjoy your work. We might not see eye to eye on everything but I still know when I am looking at a well thought mod and appreciate the thought and work that has gone into it. And your work falls into that category hands down.

I can see now that the tub is coming off my TJ this summer. There is just too much that needs to be done and having the body in the way isn't going to work.

Right at the rear face of the gas tank crossmember. Move the rear section that is cut loose up by the distance of the body mount lift puck in this case 1.25". Weld the two ends of the cut frame together. That will leave a 1.25" section of the rear section sticking above and a 1.25" section below the rear section. Cut tapered wedges to fill in those two places at whatever angle suits your sense of aesthetics. I do a wedge with the leg against the frame about 3" long.

I figured it had to be around that area somewhere. Good description; thanks.

Might be a dumb question, but what is the advantage of moving the rear of the frame up instead of using a body lift? The crack would go away for aesthetics, but what is the performance advantage? It seems like any gained ground clearance won't matter because the gas tank hangs lower than the frame unless you put a fuel cell inside the Jeep. What am I missing here?

Might be a dumb question, but what is the advantage of moving the rear of the frame up instead of using a body lift? The crack would go away for aesthetics, but what is the performance advantage? It seems like any gained ground clearance won't matter because the gas tank hangs lower than the frame unless you put a fuel cell inside the Jeep. What am I missing here?
Watch the end of the video a few posts back. Imagine if the bumper was both further in and higher up. The body lift is what allows the frame to be cut in order to raise the bumper.

In our case, we moved the gas tank back so it could go up. The net result is the tank drags much less. On the one where we just slid the rear crossmember up, it was done to improve the departure angle and tighten the rear bumper in closer to the body, also done to improve the departure angle. We don't care about the aesthetics of a body lift and spend no time modding to change that.

I have a small 4x6 utility trailer that I use a few times a year. It's light.

A later goal would be to cut and raise the rear frame the amount of the body lift pucks.

I’m not sure how you plan on raising the rear frame but when I installed the outboard strut mounts I cut all the way through the frame, removed the 4 rear bodylift pucks, bolted the rear frame section to the tub and welded it to the strut mount. Ridiculously easy way to lift the bumper and fuel tank all in one shot.

I’m not sure how you plan on raising the rear frame but when I installed the outboard strut mounts I cut all the way through the frame, removed the 4 rear bodylift pucks, bolted the rear frame section to the tub and welded it to the strut mount. Ridiculously easy way to lift the bumper and fuel tank all in one shot.

Can you show pics of the cut? I've thought about moving the old shock mount/crossmember up to raise the gas tank a little further up than it already is.

The funny part of this is that if I do everything I want to do, the only part of the body lift that would be left are the grill mount and supports!

Last edited:
Can you show pics of the cut? I've thought about moving the old shock mount/crossmember up to raise the gas tank a little further higher than it already is.

The funny part of this is that if I do everything I want to do, the only part of the body lift that would be left are the grill mount and supports!
Most of our builds wind up with the one under the grill and no others.

The issue with wanting to cut the frame and raise the back half is I use the shock crossmember to provide strength for the inside face of the shock towers so the cut would have to be in an unusual place.