Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

This conversation is reminding me as to why I want manually locking hubs. Glad you noticed the shift and are safe, my wife is always surprised when even in her car I comment “something isn’t quite right” and start investigating.

Reactions: jjvw
You can remove the driveshaft without dropping the Savvy skid?

It takes some contorting with just the t case skid, but yes. I don't know if having the engine skid half makes it more difficult.

Years ago when I had my YJ my driveshaft failed on the transfercase side when I was flat towing it. I was on a bridge and started feeling lots of vibrations from the jeep so I pulled over at the next exit and saw that the front shaft was disconnected and slamming between the tub and skid. Luckly I had tools with me so I removed the shaft and kept driving.

That is impressive. No way I could get mine off with the Nth TT on.

There is one area on the upper driver's side quadrant (I think) where the 1/4" drive ratchet fits with enough room to swing. Each time I have removed the front drive shaft, I have needed to rotate it to get to the bolts. All of it is done by feel.

Reactions: JMT
An interesting thing happened on Sunday on my way back home from New Mexico. I heard and felt the front drive shaft failing on the highway.

In the past, I have mentioned that 75mph is doable, though lower speeds are quieter and more pleasant. This was true. However, I was making an assumption that the "harmonics" I was noticing around 75mph and higher were similar to the harmonics that others have described and never thought much about it since those sustained speeds didn't matter much to me.

The earlier drive south was uneventful with speeds in the low 70's. This drive back north was already several hours long. I began to notice the ambient "noise" was more dramatic and was now perceivable in the high 60's. Then there was a very subtle but noticeable sudden change that I can't quite describe, but didn't feel right. At the next exit, I stopped to take a look. I immediately noticed that the front drive shaft was quite hot, especially at the double cardan joint. This seemed odd, since the rear shaft doing the driving was only warm. I removed the hot front driveshaft. The DC joint felt stiffer than I thought it ought to.

Back on the highway, everything was different. Even at 55mph, all of the minor noise I had dismissed as "Jeepiness" was gone. 90mph was incredibly smooth! The problem (that was more severe than I ever believed) was connected to the front driveshaft.

This is the factory driveshaft with about 140k miles. I rebuilt it for the third time recently after the centering ball started to chirp again. What I believe happened is that the centering ball pin was dying. The prolonged driving was generating enough sustained heat to burn away the grease. That subtle change I felt might have been the fast decent to catastrophic failure.

I just ordered a new front drive shaft from Tom Wood with the extended splines and longer travel slip joint. It should arrive early next week. Hopefully this will reset the baseline for what normal really ought to be.

This experience is interesting, because I have been chasing and fixing small vibrations over the last many months. But the biggest one was one of the most obvious, and I wasn't even aware of it. Its a good moment for self reflection, I suppose.

Thanks for sharing this. Very interesting observations. Do you recall ever noticing (consciously or otherwise) your 75mph vibration prior to your re-gear and/or installation of your 4" lift? Toximus also made the recent observation in another thread that he can't get his driveshafts to last long enough.

It might be safe to say that my instictively comfortable top speeds have been in the low/mid 70s for several years and tens of thousands of miles. It's hard to relate this to a particular lift height since I'm fairly sure this has been the case prior to the raised skid plate in early 2017. So much has changed in the last 3 years.

What I should do is pull apart this drive shaft and see if there is visual sign of failure.

We all like comparisons, even if the photos don't really tell us anything!
20190518_154833.jpg

The new Tom Wood shaft is roughly 2" longer fully extended and about 3/8" longer fully compressed.

It's never fun spending fun coupons on maintenance items.

I'm still thinking about the newish u-joints, ball and seal in the old shaft. At the time, I did wonder if I should just start fresh rather than rebuild.

$385 shipped for a front including all new bolts and straps. It hurts no matter what. :)

Woof, not as cheap as I thought. I've thought about replacing mine in the last year or so. 125k, I rebuilt it last year IIRC but I've also been experiencing a vibe at 70+ mph. I'm going to wait and see what happens once the new axle is in.

Front drive shaft update!

After reading a bunch, I have decided to start from scratch and forget what I think I know.

The front pinion was low. I'm embarrassed to say how much. I brought it up the 0°, straight in line with the pinion. Toe in is right about 1/8". 77mph seems about as smooth as no front drive shaft. Steering feels a bit floaty, but this may be muscle memory. More time is needed.
20190524_161131.jpg

Next I want to pull the springs, move the axle around to double check the steering and track bar and fine tune.

Those who know better, is there caster left to add without trouble? Or is this as good as it gets?

Reactions: rasband
Front drive shaft update!

After reading a bunch, I have decided to start from scratch and forget what I think I know.

The front pinion was low. I'm embarrassed to say how much. I brought it up the 0°, straight in line with the pinion. Toe in is right about 1/8". 77mph seems about as smooth as no front drive shaft. Steering feels a bit floaty, but this may be muscle memory. More time is needed.
View attachment 95551

Next I want to pull the springs, move the axle around to double check the steering and track bar and fine tune.

Those who know better, is there caster left to add without trouble? Or is this as good as it gets?

I'm not sure about the the specific angles, but I will say that I immediately noticed more "steering float" on the highway after my tummy tuck install. After driving on the highway a bit, I don't notice it at all anymore. It was a bit concerning at first but I got used to it after some time. If it is smooth now (and more knowledgeable people than me chime in about dropping the pinion some more) it might be best to leave it and see if you can get used the the extra float. It really was overcoming muscle memory in my case.

The float isn't bad. Just different during the 10 minute drive. It's tough to get away from traffic and road construction right now.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
The float is real. I'm 0.7* high and at 4.7* caster, I'm on the edge. Still have front ds vibes.

If you are building for ~6" up, ~6" down on stock fenders, 33s might be about the limit. This is also just before a Currie 4" front will unseat at 22.6"
20190524_224305.jpg

20190524_235308.jpg

20190524_235239.jpg

33s (worn down to about 32") x 11"
full articulation
full lock
3.75" backspacing
~1.5" bump stop (more on that later)
1.25" body lift (a real one!)

Hard contact at the outer fender lip. If I pull the axle forward to fit into the cut out, my MC track bar and Currie steering will collide.
20190524_234053.jpg

Hard contact on the rear wall of the wheel opening at the battery tray bulge and between the bolt heads.
20190524_230840.jpg

20190525_000305.jpg

Hard contact with the upper shock tower.
20190524_224652.jpg

Not sure how Metalcloak fenders are supposed to work with 35s if turning is important. If ramps are what matters then a 35 will fit with some less severe rubbing.

Last edited: