Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

@jjvw, looks like you got pretty sideways on that climb, not exactly where you want to end up, great looking trails.

I think every one of us thought that climb was more dangerous from the driver's seat than it really was. Traction was probably my biggest problem. Someday I'll get to run this without a handicapped Jeep (and better tires).

Reactions: JMT and tworley
@jjvw, looks like you got pretty sideways on that climb, not exactly where you want to end up, great looking trails.

The pictures dont do it justice. You can start in the middle and with just a little bit of tire spin you can easily end up where he did (we all did).

Reactions: JMT
I watched the whole video and really don't like that spot where it goes off camber, rocks are slick, gotta make that turn. @Alex01, take a look at the video of the LJ Rollover and see what you think of the off-camber section

Looks like when he rolled back he let out on the clutch and it jolted forward lifting the front tires and that was it. Pretty crazy he kept rolling and finished the trail.

The pictures and video don't do the wall justice. I would say the angle is more than 45 degrees. Probably closer to 55 degrees, and about 30' long, and it slopes to the side as well

These 10L bags are interesting. 12.5 x 23". I wonder if they could hang from the back of the seats.

MSR Dromedary Bag Water Reservoir https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSX7C6N/?tag=wranglerorg-20

msr-dromedary-bag-msr-dromedary-bag-w17-f0d.1559027500.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
That sounds like a wall that a suck down winch might be a benefit to keep the front springs from unloading.

I judged a rock crawling competition that the modified class were literally to go up what seemed to be a near vertical wall. All of the success ones had suck down winches. Basically a loop welded to the front diff to hook their winches to. The ones that were not successful were endos backwards or sideways rolls. I had the best seat in the house and it was so hard to watch. Held my breath every time someone went over. Kudos to you guys having massive balls.... no brains, but massive balls 😁

These 10L bags are interesting. 12.5 x 23". I wonder if they could hang from the back of the seats.

They can; I've seen it done with some webbing and creativity. That said: they're not bad if you only need 10 liters, but they're pricey for the size. If you need more than 10 liters, wait for a sale on some Swiss bags.

They can; I've seen it done with some webbing and creativity. That said: they're not bad if you only need 10 liters, but they're pricey for the size. If you need more than 10 liters, wait for a sale on some Swiss bags.

These for about $15?
08-9785000000.png

Yeah, but the other ones have dromedary technology. Not sure how much that helps since camels don't store water in their hump(s) but fat.

I wonder if a bag of fat is best carried outside the Jeep. I'll have to rethink my plans again. :)

Reactions: Sundowner
Yes, but they're $10 when on sale, with free shipping (if you shop carefully). I've used them for years, and I have no complaints.

I ordered a pair. One will be more than enough. Now I get to think about figuring out a hanger.

I cant seem to find it but what is the water bag for?

Water! :)

Now that life is calming down, I want to get back to my long weekend camping road trips. Once I get rid of my enormous tire and gas can carrier where I would keep the water can (and the gas can I have never needed), I need a way to carry a water. Blaine suggested that I move the container forward inside the Jeep where the weight is better distributed between the axles.

The end result will be far less dead weight hanging off the back, less overall weight, and when the extra weight is carried, it will be better positioned. The water bag will also shrink as it empties.

Reactions: tworley
I thought you were going for traction/weight but makes more sense once you lose the carrier/bumper

Reactions: jjvw
I also have a hunch that the Jeep will climb better in places like Spring Creek once the extraneous weight behind the rear axle isn't pulling the front off the ground.

Last edited: