Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

I saw those when I was looking to replace whatever I had before. The neoprene kept me away because of what I had been suffering through with the old covers.

I have to say that several years later, the wool blankets are still wonderful to sit in.

Murdoch's :)

I did pick up some 5lb brown/red wool synthetic blankets a couple months ago at army surplus and thought of doing exactly what you did. Might have to take a closer look at your set up in the next couple of weeks.

They're amazingly warm though

Army blankets should also be nice. Also much easier to cut and sew into shape.

Mine are folded and pinned with large safety pins. I had always intended to go back and lace them for a tighter fit, but it was never a big enough deal to make the effort.

The beauty of wool is that it breaths and it doesn't soak up moisture. In the winter, the seat heaters transfer through quickly. In the summer, your body heat can leave easily and your back sides stay dry.

They're pretty thin which is what I liked, but they are darn heavy too. Supposed to be a swedish wool blanket but I am almost certain if I looked at the tag that it probably did not itself originate from Sweden. Maybe I will play around with them on Sunday and see what I can do to make them fit. My seat heater has already lost its stickyness and has shifted forward of the seat.

I'm actually surprised by how much my horse blankets are embedded in the collective subconscious. They are quite ridiculous.

Yesterday I chopped up my new front bumper and put it back together.

I needed room for the light bars and a license plate. The answer I saw was to move the winch back as far as I could by extending the deck towards the grill.

20190730_144903.jpg

20190810_104136.jpg

20190810_120432.jpg

Last edited:
During the ordeal, I attempted to copy in some of the details of the Savvy bumper.

I added some tabs that will brace the underside of the bumper against the factory tube cross member.
20190810_174611.jpg

And the top mount was extended to capture the factory sway bar bolt holes.

During the ordeal, I attempted to copy in some of the details of the Savvy bumper.

I added some tabs that will brace the underside of the bumper against the factory tube cross member.
View attachment 109284

And the top mount was extended to capture the factory sway bar bolt holes.
The tabs should have been a continuous piece. It will just bend it up between them. The rest is necessary and good though.

Reactions: jjvw
And finally, the thing that started this phase of my fairlead replacement project, the license plate will very likely live here.
20190811_161707.jpg

On top of the center light bar, mounted in front of the winch.

Reactions: Alex01
The tabs should have been a continuous piece. It will just bend it up between them. The rest is necessary and good though.

That's an easy enough fix. I was also feeling like they were slightly too long for the size pieces that were coming out of the scrap bucket.

That's an easy enough fix. I was also feeling like they were slightly too long for the size that was coming out of the scrap bucket.
I use a piece of steel angle. Shorten one leg that hits the tube. The other leg goes forward to give some additional reinforcement. Drill and plug weld about 6 places, good to go

I use a piece of steel angle. Shorten one leg that hits the tube. The other leg goes forward to give some additional reinforcement. Drill and plug weld about 6 places, good to go

Thanks! I'll get a length and have it ready next time I can have some shop time.