Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

How does it work with your frame tie-ins? Any issues?

I am going the minimalist route as well on the back end. I have smittybilt tie ins' that came with my rear bumper. I am guessing they would work just fine as the distance is set by the frame rails. If there is an issue, probably the tie-in itself would need to be massaged to work.

There will be a hitch receiver.

View attachment 110039
For what these are, they work fine. I just mimmiced the stock style upper mount.

Thanks, that's pretty much how I remembered it some unknown number of pages back. There's some "C" channel at work I could probably snag a few inches of to do something similar. I need to take some measurements of my shocks and bushing to see if I could make it work.

I'm thinking welding it without an inch of body lift might be a pain though.

Reactions: jjvw
Thanks, that's pretty much how I remembered it some unknown number of pages back. There's some "C" channel at work I could probably snag a few inches of to do something similar. I need to take some measurements of my shocks and bushing to see if I could make it work.

You could always go full retard like @Alex01 did with his mounts. Bit more work though, and welding.

You could have both the fenders off in around an hour.
You could always go full retard like @Alex01 did with his mounts. Bit more work though, and welding.
Once and done right.

If I had a welder I probably would have made the ranchos work by raising the mounts an inch or so. But, since I needed to travel to get them welded in it made more sense to me to go all out.

You could have both the fenders off in around an hour.

Once and done right.

If I had a welder I probably would have made the ranchos work by raising the mounts an inch or so. But, since I needed to travel to get them welded in it made more sense to me to go all out.
It's the inner fender liners that are in the way though. They seem to have all kinds of stuff attached to them.

How did you do your shock. I'm going through your build but haven't come across it yet.

EDIT: found it, should've started at the end. You went with the new towers. I just want to raise mine to avoid adding the extra inch of bumpstop I need for my current rancho's. Somewhere down the line I'd like to go to longer fox shocks though. This way anything I do now wont screw up future plans.

Last edited:
How does it work with your frame tie-ins? Any issues?

I am going the minimalist route as well on the back end. I have smittybilt tie ins' that came with my rear bumper. I am guessing they would work just fine as the distance is set by the frame rails. If there is an issue, probably the tie-in itself would need to be massaged to work.

The NV bumper seems to line up with my Rokmen tie-ins. Your's and mine ought to match the preexisting factory holes.

I just bought a pair of 12mm bolts for the lower underside frame holes. These are not included with the bumper, which comes with 8 through bolts and nuts.
I'll have ten bolts once this is done today. When the hitch gets figured out, there will be at least two more surrounding the receiver.

Last edited:
It's the inner fender liners that are in the way though. They seem to have all kinds of stuff attached to them.

How did you do your shock. I'm going through your build but haven't come across it yet.
It starts on pg 28.

In short, I did my best to recreate this using poly mounts and fox 11" tuned by @pcoplin ...

I set them at 7" up travel to tuck the tires in as much as possible.
Screenshot_20190624-194416_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Daryl and tworley
I'm interested to see what you come up with for the hitch mount. I'd really only like one for a storage basket for camping gear. I doubt I'll ever tow a trailer but I would like an old military trailer someday.

I'd like the get rid of my warn rear bumper.

Fully installed!
20190815_170353.jpg

I'm so glad I kept these flag nuts from the very first bumper.
20190815_160306.jpg

I wasn't able to use any of supplied hardware. I didn't have the patience to fight with the pairs of inboard bolts, so I used the flag nuts instead. Otherwise, I am not sure how to get these done without dropping the gas tank. The supplied outers were too short to fit with the frame tie-ins. After tightening the underside bolts, I did run a drill bit through all the holes to make sure all the stacked holes were clear.

That's ten bolts!

Looking at how crooked the cut and raised gas tank is, I have a feeling that I am getting closer to needing a real gas tank skid.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have noticed the crooked skid if didn't mention it. Other than your massive butt crack it looks great!

Distractions from the important things. You'll be happy to know that this bumper fills the crack by at least half an inch. :)

On the topic of the Swiss water bags, I've been driving around with this bumper's weight in water since early July. Today, that water did not taste like it has been stored in a rubber bag that's been sitting in the heat for 6 weeks.

Reactions: lBasket
On the topic of the Swiss water bags, I've been driving around with this bumper's weight in water since early July. Today, that water did not taste like it has been stored in a rubber bag that's been sitting in the heat for 6 weeks.

I know, right? It's surprisingly palatable!