Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Here is the barely there Savvy steering box protector.
20190816_151611.jpg

20190816_142542.jpg

20190816_142634.jpg

Drill two holes in the bumper. That's about it.

Last edited:
all things considered would you opt for the Savvy front bumper if you had it to do over again?

What I ended up with is about half the cost of the version of the Savvy I spec'd out. This includes the fairlead mount, hooks and corner reenforcements. If money allows, I would encourage the Savvy over what I did.

But what I did to improve mine isn't difficult either. It just takes a welder and a weekend.

Last edited:
You are running LJ currie coils in the rear with the longer spring length, correct?

I am. I'll run out and measure the ride height in a bit.

CE-9131RH3P? Since coil bind is the same for the TJ/LJ but the LJ has the longer free length I think I am going to purchase the LJ coils and swap in.

CE-9131RH3P? Since coil bind is the same for the TJ/LJ but the LJ has the longer free length I think I am going to purchase the LJ coils and swap in.

That's them. Mine are sitting at 13" at ride height with a low tank of gas and my usual stuff in the back.

With the old bumpers, they were right around 12".

Reactions: tworley
What's the free length on all of these rear springs, exactly?

Currie 4"
Front
Free Length: 22.6"
Travel: 14.1
Solid Height: 8.5"

Rear
Free Length: 17.75"
Travel: 13.25"
Solid Height: 4.5"

LJ Rear
Free Length: 18.25"
Travel: 13.75"
Solid Height: 4.5"

Reactions: Sundowner
Are you actually concerned about losing a spring in the rear? I had to disconnect the rear sway bay and pry out my springs. (currie 4" TJ) I can't imagine they would ever come out, on the trail, let alone need to be slightly longer.

Reactions: lBasket
Are you actually concerned about losing a spring in the rear? I had to disconnect the rear sway bay and pry out my springs. (currie 4" TJ) I can't imagine they would ever come out, on the trail, let alone need to be slightly longer.

They were still pretty sandwiched when we set them up with the bilstiens. I want to be certain though with the new travel that will be available. IIRC the superlift coils had a free length of 16.5". I am also not sure of their age and whether they have sagged or not.

Which leads me to question, is the amount of pressure on the axle any different during travel? Say, is the pressure the same at ride height vs the point before unseating the coil?

Reactions: Alex01
The regular coils should just barely unseat by the time we are done. They are plenty long for your shocks.

The spring pressure on the axle will decrease the closer they get to their free length. That 1/2" difference at the end is negligible. I'll guess 90-100lbs.

The difference in ride height could be more significant. On mine, I actually planned for this when I shaved the upper spring seats to raise them into the frame arch and flattened the lowers a few years ago. There is a 1" spacer in there right now. And I am considering a thinner spacer to adjust for the new ride height.

Reactions: Alex01
The regular coils should just barely unseat by the time we are done. They are plenty long for your shocks.

The spring pressure on the axle will decrease the closer they get to their free length. That 1/2" difference at the end is negligible. I'll guess 90-100lbs.

The difference in ride height could be more significant. On mine, I actually planned for this when I shaved the upper spring seats to raise them into the frame arch and flattened the lowers a few years ago. There is a 1" spacer in there right now. And I am considering a thinner spacer to adjust for the new ride height.

I have some 0.75" spacers sitting in the bin never used, they're all yours if you want to save the few bucks and that size is worth trying.