Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Look at that!
20190829_161201.jpg

20190829_161241.jpg

They are tapped into the factory reverse lights. I probably ought to run them through a relay, but I had similar lights on the old bumper on the same circuit for years without a problem. The main reverse lights are also LED, if that matters.

Those lights draw so little amps you should be fine. I will be doing a similar mod, but want control of the lights, so a switch will be installed in the dash.

Those lights draw so little amps you should be fine. I will be doing a similar mod, but want control of the lights, so a switch will be installed in the dash.

On the first set I considered doing the same, but I worried that I would flash someone who was getting too close while on the road. :)

I have mine wired into a on-off-on switch so I can tie them to the reverse circuit (normally left here), force them to stay off (escaping a crime scene), or force them to stay on (around camp, or on difficult trail sections for more light).

When I come to terms on whether I keep the cameras or not, I might have a center dash vent switch that needs to be replaced with something else.

Shots of @jjvw running Holy Cross yesterday. 35s would have helped in a couple situations but he killed it on 33s!
20190831_130415.jpg
20190831_124558.jpg
20190831_124519.jpg
20190831_123850.jpg
20190831_123222.jpg
20190831_122907.jpg
20190831_114735.jpg
20190831_114441.jpg
20190831_103802.jpg

#5 was a bit of a hairy situation. He got himself into such a position where flopping was almost inevitable. The passenger front had to come up about 6" in order to move forward, but his driver rear was just a couple inches from a large ledge. We ended up winching to his pass. recovery point and kept the line taught while he backed down.

Last edited:
Holy Cross on worn out 33s!

The mid arm really needs the ground clearance of 35s to do what it is meant to do, but I already knew that.

This was the first real run in a fully functional Jeep in a long time. The rear locker was great to have again. Though the education of a locked front and trusting the rear LSD was very valuable.

The new bumpers are a great success. The reduced weight is very noticeable. The Jeep never once felt unstable even when I slipped into that bad situation you guys were seeing. The bumpers and steering skid are littered with gouges and scratches, meaning that the bigger old stuff would have only been useless impedements.

Tire traction is probably the immediate failing in my build. More robust sliders would make me want to trust using them more. The increased rear bumper clearance is exposing the raised factory gas tank more than before.

I got the front wheels on Cleveland Rock, but quickly sheared a valve stem.