Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Well, if it goes too far, you guys that know him best will need to stage an intervention of sorts. I've learned a lot from his posts on here and I don't want to see the quality go downhill.

Stock axles, I promise. :)

One thing I like about what I've put together is that I think it is still pretty accessible for most to figure out.

I think the MCE fenders are understated enough to where if someone who doesn't know jeeps saw them, they wouldn't have any reason to believe they aren't stock.

...something that can't be said about pretty much any of the steel or aluminum counterparts

They sort of just look like the textured plastic from the flares but in a flat fender form.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Only that it takes away from the classic TJ look that Josh has tried to hang with for so long. Mostly, I'm just giving him shit, but he knows that, lol!

What's next Josh, chop the frame, 7" stretch and comp cut the rear? Lol! Might as well just skip the 35's and go for the big boy tars!

Seeing @jjvw's photos makes me wish someone had picked up Jeff Scherb's TJ flat fenders for production. He seemed to have the right idea (see top pic below) for clearance compared to stock .. and even had a high line version on the cards.

MCE's TPO material is top notch though.

FlatFenderMockup21_zps23ca3e56.jpg

Fenders3_zps4d4c74ff.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
Stock axles, I promise. :)

One thing I like about what I've put together is that I think it is still pretty accessible for most to figure out.

Haha, good to know! I understand what you mean in that statement. I now understand the stock suspension and how Jeep intended it to work fairly well. But, as soon as you start talking customized suspensions that are completely different from stock, or deviate too far from stock, I lose interest since I don't fully understand the designs and ramifications well enough in many cases.

Reactions: 2006TJ1
That is really good looking...how nice that it included the stock inner fender.

Check out his other projects (search for username jscherb on the other Jeep forums, he is a legend). He designed and make a custom CJ look-a-like hood/outer fenders but retaining stock TJ inner fenders and put them on his Jeep. All made of fiberglass. His build threads are all pretty great. He was also the designer behind the Exogate/Morryde tire carrier and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Reactions: JMT
Reactions: DrDmoney and jjvw
He does but it would be the rare offroader that doesn't tag a fender and glass is a bitch when that happens.

Good sense of aesthetics, but not always the right materials. My dad has a fiberglass body on his cj5. It looks good where it isn't damaged. But it doesn't die with much grace.

Reactions: DrDmoney
It looks great Josh! Very clean. What is your Jeep doing clean anyway? I still love 33's on a TJ. Interested to see where this goes with future 35's when the time is right. Interesting route.

I especially like the look from the front. The front fender/flare being flat is classic Jeep. I am still torn on whether to snap up a set.

The looks won't change much from here on out. Tires, sliders and the rear bumper lift should be the end of that. Front shocks, raised body mounts, Currie bumps and brakes are somewhere on the horizon. Lot's of little details and refinements scattered around, too.

He does but it would be the rare offroader that doesn't tag a fender and glass is a bitch when that happens.

Good sense of aesthetics, but not always the right materials. My dad has a fiberglass body on his cj5. It looks good where it isn't damaged. But it doesn't die with much grace.

For the overlander catergory (which I think he is in) with the occasional light offroading fiberglass perhaps works ok?

I think for the cost and ease of use aluminum could be a better material choice.

To be fair, he knows his way around mold making and fiberglass quite well. And most of what we see are his personal prototype projects that aren't really intended to become production pieces.

To be fair, he knows his way around mold making and fiberglass quite well. And most of what we see are his personal prototype projects that aren't really intended to become production pieces.
I see that, it’s too bad he either didn’t (or didn’t want) a company to back his prototypes with a production line.