Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Clever idea

You can get more clever. Use one of these which has an Ace Key locking mechanism that moves the pins out to lock it in the hitch. Run it upside down and bolt the gate lift preventer to it with a large bolt, anti rotation tabs, and some green Loctite. About as bulletproof for the average thief as you can get.
1659621222684.png

1659621313317.png

You can get more clever. Use one of these which has an Ace Key locking mechanism that moves the pins out to lock it in the hitch. Run it upside down and bolt the gate lift preventer to it with a large bolt, anti rotation tabs, and some green Loctite. About as bulletproof for the average thief as you can get.
View attachment 348170

View attachment 348171

That’s cool. Can’t cut the pin. Have you come across any good coupler locks when attached to the truck? Every one I’ve seen is easily defeated with a cordless grinder and a cut off wheel.

My quote was a loose reference to a line in Uptown Funk... "Livin' it up in the city! - Julio, git the stretch!"

Yes, that was a stretch as well... :)

If you don't believe me, you should watch this thread.

(Purposefully misquoting the song)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
That’s cool. Can’t cut the pin. Have you come across any good coupler locks when attached to the truck? Every one I’ve seen is easily defeated with a cordless grinder and a cut off wheel.

Unfortunately most locks are only good at keeping honest men honest.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
View attachment 348170

View attachment 348171

I thought it was to help Wile E. keep people in.

The rear bumper got a recessed hitch receiver.

View attachment 111583

View attachment 111586

A surface mount sticks out this far.
View attachment 111585

Mine goes back to the back lip of the frame crossmember. The receiver protrudes 2.25". I could have gone another quarter inch, but I didn't have it in me too drop the gas tank for that last little bit.
View attachment 111584

View attachment 111582

Two pairs of bolts surround the receiver to attach the bumper to the crossmember. I needed a pair I flag nuts because there is no room to reach in behind. All I had on hand were nylock nuts that no longer lock.
View attachment 111587

View attachment 111588

View attachment 111590

The safety chain tabs sit on top and act as a gusset. There is a smaller gusset on the bottom that is also a ramp

Where did you find such a short receiver tube

Perfect, thank you! Haven't done any towing really before so wasn't sure that was a realistic option, but looks like it's just fine.

One thing Josh did that i still need to is adding a few more bolts around the receiver itself. There's pics somewhere in this thread....

Reactions: lBasket
One thing Josh did that i still need to is adding a few more bolts around the receiver itself. There's pics somewhere in this thread....

Yeah I did see that, I do plan on doing that too. My lazy ass never finished putting in all the bolts for the bumper to begin with lol (didn't realize they weren't holes for looks).

It's all on page 70 FWIW. I've been looking at it a lot this week lol

Perfect, thank you! Haven't done any towing really before so wasn't sure that was a realistic option, but looks like it's just fine.

I don't know that I'd tow with it. I installed it mainly for a recovery point and a place to install my bike rack. Because its so tucked up under the tire (I still carry it "on" the tailgate) you'd need a really long hitch. I need an extension for my bike rack.

I also installed a few extra bolts...

1660155459827.png

Reactions: lBasket
I don't know that I'd tow with it. I installed it mainly for a recovery point and a place to install my bike rack. Because its so tucked up under the tire (I still carry it "on" the tailgate) you'd need a really long hitch. I need an extension for my bike rack.

I also installed a few extra bolts...

View attachment 349902

Why wouldn't you tow with it? Just because of the clearance of the spare tire?

Not sure if you have LJ or TJ but for my TJ the towing rating is only 1k lbs, I'd assume recovering the vehicle would put more force on it than towing a trailer that weighs that, wouldn't it?

Not sure if you have LJ or TJ but for my TJ the towing rating is only 1k lbs, I'd assume recovering the vehicle would put more force on it than towing a trailer that weighs that, wouldn't it?

I'd rather tow a small trailer with one of those welded on hitches before I'd want to add one of those racks full of all kinds of camping gear and a cooler on the back bouncing up and down.

Example
1660156338249.png

1660156712878.png

Because I don't want to get drug into court somewhere because I said, "Do this, it'll be fine!" I have a small boat...I don't always use my truck to tow it