Daily Driver, Go Where I Want To Build

Axle shafts for the Warn small hub kit are built. These are the cromoly Warn outer stubs with RGA cromoly inners and Spicer 5-760 joints using full circle retainer clips.
20230321_153246.jpg

20230321_155426.jpg

It is time to address the coil issue. At this stage, I figure using factory specs as a benchmark is decent point of comparison. Factory TJs have 4" of suspension uptravel. With my heavy bumpers, winch and larger tires, I don't have that anymore.

Fortunately, thanks to Unlimited04, mrblaine, bifgnar and others discussing coil lengths and spring rates I realized I can predict which coils I should buy to get back to a minimum 4" of uptravel.

I knew the rates and length of the OME coils I had installed, which meant I could calculate the current sprung weight of my Jeep. After doing the math and measuring my existing uptravel and compressed shock lengths, I arrived at OME 933 for the front and OME 949 on the rear.

This resulted in an even 2" of spring lift with the body lift and 4" of uptravel again before the front tires hit the fenders and the rear shocks bottomed out.
View attachment 34139

At this point were you running any wheel spacers, or just sticking with the stock 5" BS?

Four significant projects that have been sitting and waiting in a pile for a long time all wrapped up tonight! The new MTRs along with the Coyote beadlocks wrapped around JK Moabs got mounted on the Jeep. And the front finally got the Warn small hub kit. The final backspacing is now 4", in from 3.75" before. I like how ordinary the wheels look, despite what all is going on behind the scenes.
20230323_215116~2.jpg

I haven't gone above 40mph yet, so I can't say anything about how it drives yet or how terrible my unbalanced tires are. With the switch to the JK bolt pattern, the Centramatics balancers are now gone. At some point soon, I want to add a bunch of caster. Hopefully before next weekend for the season opening trail run.

Four significant projects that have been sitting and waiting in a pile for a long time all wrapped up tonight! The new MTRs along with the Coyote beadlocks wrapped around JK Moabs got mounted on the Jeep. And the front finally got the Warn small hub kit. The final backspacing is now 4", in from 3.75" before. I like how ordinary the wheels look, despite what all is going on behind the scenes.
View attachment 409959

I haven't gone above 40mph yet, so I can't say anything about how it drives yet or how terrible my unbalanced tires are. With the switch to the JK bolt pattern, the Centramatics balancers are now gone. At some point soon, I want to add a bunch of caster. Hopefully before next weekend for the season opening trail run.

👍Hard not to dig a stealthy build.

Some initial thoughts on life with free hubs. I haven't gone outside the city yet. But just driving around town, I feel like the Jeep rolls slightly easier and quieter when it isn't pushing the front differential and driveshaft. It's a subtle difference that I think is real. The final backspacing is a 1/4" more than previously. With the fresh tires, I do notice the tires touching the control arms on sharp turns more than before. That it fine. And do far, I can't tell a difference with 17" wheels vs 15" on pavement. These MTRs behave just as nicely as the old ones did.

Some initial thoughts on life with free hubs. I haven't gone outside the city yet. But just driving around town, I feel like the Jeep rolls slightly easier and quieter when it isn't pushing the front differential and driveshaft. It's a subtle difference that I think is real. The final backspacing is a 1/4" more than previously. With the fresh tires, I do notice the tires touching the control arms on sharp turns more than before. That it fine. And do far, I can't tell a difference with 17" wheels vs 15" on pavement. These MTRs behave just as nicely as the old ones did.

Do you notice the steering feeling lighter and more sensitive to road input feedback at speed? Its always been that way for me with older pickups and 4x4s with locking hubs

Do you notice the steering feeling lighter and more sensitive to road input feedback at speed? Its always been that way for me with older pickups and 4x4s with locking hubs

So far, not something I have noticed

Reactions: Rickyd

I think it does absolutely make a noticeable difference. It may be a little more evident with my heavier driveline, but after I wheel and I'm back on the road for a bit the first thing that hit me is "Why is this damn thing riding rough? Oh yeah, I forget to unlock the hubs..."

For me anyway, also subtle, but noticeably smoother unlocked.

Reactions: jjvw
You're finally getting sliders on that rig? Congratulations! I thought you were in on the boatside party...

I am. Blaine helped me design a set of mini boatsides along with help from several here. There is a small handful sitting in garages waiting to be built and installed. We will be starting on the first set tomorrow.

Mine will wait until the stretch is done, so I won't have to modify or redo them. Blaine was able to orchestrate me buying these used Savvy sliders as a good solid temporary solution. I have a pair of Savvy corners going on soon, as well.

I am. Blaine helped me design a set of mini boatsides along with help from several here. There is a small handful sitting in garages waiting to be built and installed. We will be starting on the first set tomorrow.

Mine will wait until the stretch is done, so I won't have to modify or redo them. Blaine was able to orchestrate me buying these used Savvy sliders as a good solid temporary solution. I have a pair of Savvy corners going on soon, as well.

Any details on this? After reading the giant slider forum and what makes a good slider, I’d love to see how you guys have ended up designing and making them!

Any details on this? After reading the giant slider forum and what makes a good slider, I’d love to see how you guys have ended up designing and making them!

It's based on how Blaine has modified the Genright mini boatside by removing the tube step and adding a full length low profile rub rail right below the door opening.

It's based on how Blaine has modified the Genright mini boatside by removing the tube step and adding a full length low profile rub rail right below the door opening.

Is their measurements for the base sheet with 2 bends? I’d love to try and make my own and if I could get the numbers from y’all I know I’d be better off than me trying figure it out but I also get it if those measurements aren’t trying to thrown around.

Is their measurements for the base sheet with 2 bends? I’d love to try and make my own and if I could get the numbers from y’all I know I’d be better off than me trying figure it out but I also get it if those measurements aren’t trying to thrown around.

Everything you need to know is here after you smash down the flange below the door up by the front fender. This is the lowest part of the torque box.
1679785646537.png